Persona 5 Announced For PS3

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Persona 5 Announced For PS3

The latest installment of the Persona series will launch in Japan in Winter 2014.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona is a delightfully bizarre half-RPG, half-dating sim Japanese video game series produced by Atlus. The last installment, Persona 4, was released for the PS2 way back in 2008, and the fate of the series was somewhat in limbo after Atlus's parent company much teasing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126131-Atlus-Parent-To-Sell-Off-Operations], Atlus has now officially announced Persona 5, coming to Japan in Winter 2014 for the PS3.

"You are slave. Want emancipation?" asks the short 56 second teaser trailer that accompanied the reveal, proving that without a shadow of a doubt there isn't a single native English speaker on Atlus's payroll. Unfortunately, that's about all the trailer has going for it, as the rest of it is simply throwing up some credits of people working on the game accompanied with images of chairs shackled to ball-and-chains.

It's unfortunate that the game is only coming to PS3 just as the PS4 is coming out, made only worse by the fact that the PS4 doesn't do backwards compatibility. I guess you Persona fans best hang on to your PS3 a little bit longer.

Nonetheless, it is exciting to see that Atlus was able to pull through its financial trials, and find a backer for its popular Persona series.

Source: Persona 5 [http://persona5.jp/]

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
Heard this through the Persona user group, what nice news to wake up to!

Although its coming out, I will probably wait for the enhanced edition they are guaranteed to make after this. A Persona 5 FES or some such title.
P3FES was more than just an enhanced edition. It was an expansion. If you're waiting for that, you'll be waiting for a very, very long time.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008

Here he comes, here comes FalloutJack! He's an RPer on wheels...

(The chains remind me of something, actually. Wonder what PRR thinks of this...)

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
MrBaskerville said:
When they say winter, do they mean January-february or November-December?
Last time I checked, Winter was December to February (unless I didn't get the memo?)

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
I AM SO HAPPY!

Also Persona 4 came out on the PS2 after the PS3 was out and that was just fine.

McFazzer

Apr 22, 2012
Is it the 2014 January Winter? or the 2014 December Winter? (I'm putting my money on Dec 2014)

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Halyah said:
Steven Bogos said:
MrBaskerville said:
Last time I checked, Winter was December to February (unless I didn't get the memo?)
I think he means which winter during 2014 they're referring to since every year covers two winters due to the season not being over when the year is.
Exactly^^, i assume they mean early 2014, but you never know.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
MrBaskerville said:
well it could be either. But my guess is late next year as business quarter 4 is sometimes used for winter.

Though if it follows similar timelines of other games like it it'll release in japan first, and the rest of the world 6 months to a year later.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
The day this comes out will signal the beginning of my ~two week withdrawal from society.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Halyah said:
Steven Bogos said:
MrBaskerville said:
I think he means which winter during 2014 they're referring to since every year covers two winters due to the season not being over when the year is.
Ah right, gotcha. Hmmm. Hard to tell, first thought would be Jan-Feb, but considering we haven't seen ANYTHING from the game yet, it could be almost a full year off...

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
MrBaskerville said:
Given the time it was announced it will be November - December. 2016 if you're in Europe.

The Eupho Guy said:
A new Persona game on PS3? Awesome! Here's hoping that the US version isn't region locked, otherwise I will NOT be happy...
Yeah, you and me both. Hopefully the release schedule will improve now that SEGA has bought Atlus and they actually got a European division that can publish games, but I am not sure. Region lock would suck, we clearly see how long these things can take looking at Shin Megami Tensei IV.

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
No news about the BEST persona game coming out in 2014 that was also announced?