Pikmin Director Working on New Nintendo IP

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
Pikmin Director Working on New Nintendo IP

Who says Nintendo isn't interested in creating new franchises?

It sounds like Pikmin director Masamichi Abe may be working on a new IP for Nintendo, according to a tweet from a Japanese developer.

Abe's project has been brought to light through a tweet [https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/statuses/405170688169742336] from Tekken creator Katsuhiro Harada. Why would Harada know anything about Abe's work? The two worked together on Tekken and Tekken 2 during Abe's pre-Nintendo days.

Responding to a fan asking if Abe had retired, Harada wrote: "He is in Nintendo Kyoto now. Working on some Nintendo original title."

In addition to his work on Pikmin and Pikmin 2, Abe helped develop a litany of games at Nintendo, including Metroid Prime: Hunters and Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again.

Source: Polygon [https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/statuses/405170688169742336]

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
And in other news: Hell froze over. FOX news is reporting news and women no longer find me completely irresistible...

Looks like a certain British/Australian reviewer will have change his tune.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I do love how titles on the eShop like HarmoKnight, Pushmo and Dillion's Rolling Western, along with the titles they published like X don't exist or aren't ACTUALLY a new IP from Nintendo for some arbitrary reason.

Really, that's the heart of the entire "Nintendo doesn't make new IPs" argument: "That doesn't count!"

As for the news itself, looking forward to it. Not really much more to say about it. "It exists" doesn't really leave much room to comment on.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Renegade-pizza said:
And in other news: Hell froze over. FOX news is reporting news and women no longer find me completely irresistible...

Looks like a certain British/Australian reviewer will have change his tune.
You know he will find a way to say "Well it isn't anything that they haven't tried already". Unless it is FPS then nintendo has already tried it in some way. Dear gameboard named reviewer is a word genius and being of pure cynicalness (? is that a word?) that he finds a way to take the joy out of this, stomp on your kitten, destroy your life long hopes and dreams and even make you fat somehow.

I wonder was the fact that where I live winter colds started all the sudden and harshly. Should I relocate to my doomsday bunker?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Full Metal Bolshevik said:
What about the news in July that Miyamoto was working on a new IP?
Is it still on or was already denied or the title launched and it was a minor one?
Perhaps Miyamoto just delegated the task to Masamichi Abe, mainly since Miyamoto has a lot of responsibilities nowadays and generally doesn't work on the games at Nintendo anymore. Miyamoto gives advice and suggestions nowadays more than actually working on the games himself.

OT: Well hopefully it'll be nice and will gain appeal, mainly because I'd rather have new IPs sprinkled in every once and a while then relying on some of the same ones. Now if we could just get that F-Zero game Miyamoto, hell even if it were and HD remake of GX I'd eat that up the second it hit selves! >.<