Paradox Reveals First Warlock 2: The Exiled Gameplay Screens

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Paradox Reveals First Warlock 2: The Exiled Gameplay Screens

Warlock 2: The Exiled is the upcoming strategy wargame sequel to last year's hit Warlock: Master of the Arcane.

I'm sitting here minding my own business when the email comes in from Greg Tito, the head honcho around these parts. "I like this game," it says, followed by a link to Paradox Interactive's Warlock 2 website [http://www.warlock2.com/]. There's nothing else, but there doesn't have to be: The message is clear. This is an offer I can't refuse.

So let's talk about Warlock 2: The Exiled! Revealed original [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128425-Warlock-2-The-Exiled-Promises-Turtle-Wars-Fireballs] with a pile of new spells, new PvP and co-op multiplayer modes and an all-new campaign. It's a serious strategy effort but it's not entirely serious: The game promises hundreds of mythical and magical creatures in its "crass menagerie," including werewolves wearing hats.

[gallery=1927]

The screens don't betray any of that oddball sense of humor, but they do look awfully pretty, at least as far as strategy games go. If Warlock 2 can live up to its predecessor, I expect it will be very popular indeed amongst gamers named Greg - and perhaps even beyond! Warlock 2: The Exiled is currently expected to be ready for spring of 2014.

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
Not bad, looks pretty much like Warlock 1 though but I liked that game except for some slight annoyances.
So I hope this will get as good or better even.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I loved Warlock but it had some major balance issues, hopefully the sequel addresses that. I'm certainly going to have this on my wishlist.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
MinionJoe said:
Tigurus said:
Not bad, looks pretty much like Warlock 1 though but I liked that game except for some slight annoyances.
So I hope this will get as good or better even.
Ninja'd, almost verbatim. :)

I picked up Warlock during some sale earlier this year and played it through 2-3 times while waiting for the latest Civ V expansion to drop (Brave New World, I think). Very enjoyable gameplay, but I do recall a niggling little annoyance that I can't, for the life of me, recall. Something to do with the portals and a world packed mountain to shore with dragons?
Yes the elemental portals, where there were much riches to be found but you needed a party of elite high level units & hero's to survive it. Kind of perfect emphases on the games imbalance though, since by the time you've progressed far enough to make it in those places it's child's play to crush all the AI Civ's and win the game. The AI relied to heavily on mass amounts of low level units, which even at the highest difficulty because of the Civ V style hex combat could be easily countered by a small number of elites. After only a few tries I was handling the game at the highest difficulties with ease.

Still, even though it felt like a Civ V mod it was a pretty good game, not the best but I got my money's worth out of it. In terms of gameplay between similar games time on Steam for me it got ranked like this:

Civ V - 343 hours (combined between Vanilla and both expansions)
Fallen Enchantress - 98 hours
FE: Legendary Hero's - 69 hours
Warlock: MoA - 53 hours

This being a sequel rather than an expansion hopefully they can have a greater leap in improvement than Legendary Hero's did for Fallen Enchantress.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
I can't say I'm terribly excited about this. Warlock was one of the worst 4x games I've played in a long time. Admittedly "one of the worst" doesn't say much considering that the competition is very high quality in general.

Warlock had some nice graphics and cutesy dialogue but the pieces didn't fit together as a game at all.