Codemasters Forums Forced Offline By Expired Contract

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Codemasters Forums Forced Offline By Expired Contract

Codemasters is now "re-evalauting" ways to integrate its community platforms with online services like RaceNet but says it will be awhile before it can get anything up and running.

If you play any Codemasters games, you may have noticed that its forums are offline. All Codemasters forums are offline, in fact, and there's actually a pretty simple reason: The deal with the service provider expired and Codemasters didn't have a Plan B.

"Our current forum supplier contract has come to an end, and we are re-evaluating how best we can integrate our community platform and channels with other online services such as RaceNet," a message posted where the forums used to be states. "Until then, please keep in touch with us via Facebook / Twitter where it's business as usual."

It seems like an odd sort of thing to overlook, but the good news for Codemasters is that few people seem to mind, or even to have noticed. There's no obvious mention of it on the company's Facebook page nor any great influx of complaints on Twitter; Codemasters did address the situation there, however, saying, "It was the last thing we wanted. We're doing our best to get something up and running but it will take sometime."

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/Codemasters/statuses/405299610807468032]

The U.K.-based Codemasters is best known as the developer and publisher of racing franchises including F1, GRID and DiRT, and in April 2012 announced that it would focus exclusively [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116857-Codemasters-Says-Racing-is-Everything] on the racing genre.

Source: Codemasters forums [http://maintenance.codemasters.com/forum/]

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Shit, codemasters still going? Man, I feel they have been going for years! Not surprised I thought they had died, not much of a racing fan.

F1 and grid didn't interest me but I played dirt and LOVED it, sliding round them corners made you feel like a bad ass but the game felt very repetitive.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
omega 616 said:
Shit, codemasters still going? Man, I feel they have been going for years! Not surprised I thought they had died, not much of a racing fan.

F1 and grid didn't interest me but I played dirt and LOVED it, sliding round them corners made you feel like a bad ass but the game felt very repetitive.
Really? I thought GRID was the best racing game I've ever played. Then again, GRID 2 was pretty disappointing. They took out Le Mans, which just makes no sense to me. Plus, most of the tracks were narrow street tracks rather than the clearly superior race tracks of the previous game.

The Dirt series, on the other hand, was pretty good as long as I was doing Rally tracks and races. Rallies were perfect and pulling off the perfect drift around a corner was very satisfying. But every other event type in that game was just bad, in my opinion.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
SKBPinkie said:
The Dirt series, on the other hand, was pretty good as long as I was doing Rally tracks and races. Rallies were perfect and pulling off the perfect drift around a corner was very satisfying. But every other event type in that game was just bad, in my opinion.
Couldn't have said it better myself, I love the rallies and those point A to B ones that seemed to go on forever but the street and track racing wasn't enjoyable.

It was the drifting that impressed me, I felt like I could get the nose of the car an inch away from any apex and I often did, then power of the corner looking like a badass (even though I was thinking "how the fuck did I do that?)

Neta

Aug 22, 2013
Andy Chalk said:
The U.K.-based Codemasters is best known as the developer and publisher of racing franchises including F1, GRID and DiRT, and in April 2012 announced that it would focus exclusively [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116857-Codemasters-Says-Racing-is-Everything] on the racing genre.
So no more Dizzy games on the horizon then?

I used to love the Dizzy games.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Everyone thought they were dead? What the hell? They are basicly the guys that do the best racing games out there (with the exception of Grid 2, that was kind of a disapointment), anyone that cares for racing knows that they are not dead (not blaming anyone that isnt a big racing fan though).

Now when they do anything not racing related, thats another story (Operation Flashpoint games after Arma came out).