League of Legends Lets You Lucky Dip With "Mystery Skins"

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
League of Legends Lets You Lucky Dip With "Mystery Skins"

From November 29 till December 4, you'll be able to purchase a random "Mystery Skin" for 490 RP.

During "the Harrowing" Halloween event for League of Legends, many players asked if they could send the Mystery Gift - a "lucky dip" random choice of one of the special Halloween skins, to themselves. Well, Riot has listened to its player base, and has introduced the "Mystery Skin". Mystery Skins will be available in the store from November 29 until December 4, and will set you back 490 RP.

Purchasing a Mystery Skin will deliver a randomly selected un-owned skin currently in the store priced at 520 RP or higher. That means that if you're extra lucky, you may get one of the super-expensive "Legendary" or "Ultimate" skins. To sweeten the deal, Riot is also including several skins from its "legacy vault" of skins that are normally no-longer available to players in the Mystery Gift's selection pool. They are:

TPA Shen
TPA Ezreal
TPA Orianna
TPA Nunu
TPA Mundo
Riot Nasus
Riot Graves
Riot Blitzcrank

You'll only be able to buy three mystery skins per day, meaning those of you with particularly deep wallets can only purchase a maximum of 18 Mystery Skins. As with the Mystery Gift, Mystery Skins will only reward skins for champions you already own, so you don't have to worry about getting a skin for a champion you don't have.

Source: Riot Games [http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/store/store-update/treat-yourself-mystery-skin]

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Ok, I finally bought my first champion and I didn't want to pay real money for skins, so this works out for me pretty well.

EDIT: Oh wait it's for real money. Forget I said anything, back to vanilla skins.

MechaHeretic

Jun 21, 2010
erttheking said:
Ok, I finally bought my first champion and I didn't want to pay real money for skins, so this works out for me pretty well.
RP is the "real money" form of points in-game. IP is the free stuff you earn over time with matches. All the cosmetic changes always come with real-money price tags attached.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
MechaHeretic said:
erttheking said:
RP is the "real money" form of points in-game. IP is the free stuff you earn over time with matches. All the cosmetic changes always come with real-money price tags attached.
Yup, noticed that right before you made that post. Bit of a bummer.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
erttheking said:
MechaHeretic said:
erttheking said:
Yup, noticed that right before you made that post. Bit of a bummer.
Come on over to Dota 2, where are skins are freeish :)

On topic: I suppose it's a nice feature. I'll bet people on the forums are flipping tits over how their legendary skins are no longer super exclusive.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Oh, how lovely, yet another chance to pay money for random things...

Seriously, this is one trend in microtransactions that really annoys me - trying to get players to buy "Chests" and/or "Keys" that contain random items, so you don't even know what you're buying. Guild Wars 2, DOTA2, etc. Now we can add LoL to the list. Yes, I know it's optional, I know you don't have to buy it. It's just a business practice that ticks me off...

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Jandau said:
Oh, how lovely, yet another chance to pay money for random things...

Seriously, this is one trend in microtransactions that really annoys me - trying to get players to buy "Chests" and/or "Keys" that contain random items, so you don't even know what you're buying. Guild Wars 2, DOTA2, etc. Now we can add LoL to the list. Yes, I know it's optional, I know you don't have to buy it. It's just a business practice that ticks me off...
Considering the mystery box costs less than even the cheapest skin, I fail to see how it's a bad thing in this instance. I gave out...like three mystery boxes to friends when that was an option. And I gave away Spirit Guard Udyr, which is something like $30 now. And Annie in Wonderland which was a Legendary $20 skin and isn't any long available.

But please. Explain how this is awful. "Boo hoo, I'm gambling, but paying less than even the cheapest skin is. This is evil!"

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
Well I already got Scuba Gragas during the Harrowing so I don't know if another mystery gift will top that.

NotHankHill

Oct 22, 2013
Frostbite3789 said:
Considering the mystery box costs less than even the cheapest skin, I fail to see how it's a bad thing in this instance. I gave out...like three mystery boxes to friends when that was an option. And I gave away Spirit Guard Udyr, which is something like $30 now. And Annie in Wonderland which was a Legendary $20 skin and isn't any long available.

But please. Explain how this is awful. "Boo hoo, I'm gambling, but paying less than even the cheapest skin is. This is evil!"
Cheap deal or not, there's plenty of skins I would never want regardless what they cost. Personally I wouldn't find any value in rolling a "gothic" poppy skin for example. I know I know, there's plenty of games that are REALLY guilty of abusing the slot machine cash shop and this in comparison is pretty tame. It falls in the iffy category for me. But like anything else with RL cash items, if you find good value in it then it's your choice and yours alone to purchase it.

It's ALSO equally OK to see those items, find they aren't worth it to you, and say "no thanks."