Guild Wars 2 Migrates In Fantasy Taxi Fleet, LA Customers Baffled

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Guild Wars 2 Migrates In Fantasy Taxi Fleet, LA Customers Baffled

There's a video contest too, until December 3rd.

Hokay, let me make it official: no matter how cool your taxi, if I get in it, and it looks like this, I might get out again. I'm definitely running for my life if the driver starts gibbering about their fantasy kingdom, and how they're saving up for a great big sword. That said, LA is a different world, and some lucky Yellow Cab customers found themselves deeper in the Guild Wars 2 Great MMO Migration than they could have hoped for. At least now I know how many centaurs it takes to screw in a lightbulb. Bonus!

Yep, Guild Wars 2 is looking for a few new players, and there's a contest to entice all you would-be MMO Migrants out there. Guild Wars 2 is hoping to lure you in with free copies of its subscription-free title, and all you have to do is pledge allegiance to Guild Wars 2. Sounds simple, right? For a chance to win, just create and upload a 30 second video of yourself saying something like this:

I, [name], renounce [adjective] games and pledge my allegiance to Guild Wars 2. I likewise declare my freedom from [adjective] subscription fees! That I turn my back forever on [noun] which is/are totally [adjective].

That I will take up arms to defend the [noun] and crush evil with my [noun]. I take this oath to Guild Wars 2 freely, without [noun] because I am [adjective].

Bear in mind, the contest rules stipulate that you do this in a public place. "Reciting the Oath in a populated park during broad daylight would be OK," say the developers, "but reciting the Oath in a deserted park in the middle of the night would not be OK." Also, choose your adjectives carefully, since profanity is not acceptable.

The contest's running till December 3rd, at which point the lucky winners are chosen. If you don't really like the idea of making Oaths in public, but still want in on Guild Wars 2,you could always just buy the game. It's on sale at 40% off until December 3rd.

Source: The Great MMO Migration [http://migration.guildwars2.com/en/]

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
How about they spend that time, effort, and money, trying to improve the game for their existing customers and giving them the content they want? Yeah, that is the real fantasy here.

Captcha: Not yet.

Not yet, not ever.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Elate said:
How about they spend that time, effort, and money, trying to improve the game for their existing customers and giving them the content they want? Yeah, that is the real fantasy here.
So marketing more players wouldn't improve the game for current players?

An MMO without a player base is one of the saddest things to play.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
DazZ. said:
Elate said:

Not without any worth while content, no. They'll play for a spat, then leave just like most people who've ever played GW2 do.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
So this happened in LA, huh? I see what you did there, ANet.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
Elate said:

Captcha: Not yet.

Not yet, not ever.
I guess we've never heard of a marketing budget.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Elate said:
Not without any worth while content, no. They'll play for a spat, then leave just like most people who've ever played GW2 do.
Yeah, let's all irrationally hate on a game because we don't play it. Millions play GW2 today, it's the biggest MMO outside of WoW which is a pretty damn good success story. This sounds like a good bit of fun and I can't wait to see some of the submissions!

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
GW2 starts off with a bang and then dies with a wimper for most people. Of the 10 or so people I know that played it, only 2 played it for more then a month and neither of them are still playing it 6 months later. It's still quite worth the price even for a months play (especially on sale)...and it works for SOME people because obviously there are plenty that are still playing after all this time, but I think the game is missing something. Something that keeps you drawn in and interested long term.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Elate said:
DazZ. said:
Elate said:

Well its a good thing that gw2 is adding new content pretty much every two weeks then, isn't it.

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
Worgen said:
Well its a good thing that gw2 is adding new content pretty much every two weeks then, isn't it.
pretty much this. the people who say there is no content are the ones who rushed through the story in 3 days after release then said "wtf y u no have moar?" the content release model has changed significantly, and there is compelling content being delivered on a biweekly basis. That being said, it would be nice to have an official expansion sometime in the next 6 months....pretty please?

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
AldUK said:
Yeah, let's all irrationally hate on a game because we don't play it. Millions play GW2 today, it's the biggest MMO outside of WoW which is a pretty damn good success story. This sounds like a good bit of fun and I can't wait to see some of the submissions!
Irrational? No, my reasoning is plenty rational. I do play the game, or rather, I did, and will once any content comes out. Currently though, they're so stuck on that living world crap, which is a poor stand in for any proper gameplay that most players are waiting for like myself, because there really is nothing worth while.

Worgen said:
See above.

I'll let Dontain explain. He takes about 2-3 minutes to get to it, but he explains why living story essentially sucks. Also, it should be noted the promised expansion mentioned in May, has yet to show its head.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
A weird stunt they are pulling and also what is the prize for this contest?

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
Elate said:
you realize that he made that video before they started doing biweekly content updates that are actually worthwhile to play right? And I dont think he has really touched the game since then.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
MinionJoe said:
Scarim Coral said:
A weird stunt they are pulling and also what is the prize for this contest?
I had to reread to catch that myself. They're giving away the game for free.
That's it? I guess those who enter it are either low on cash or don't want to spend their money on the game. I mean it's only £35 or £21 now at the current sales they got going on.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
the doom cannon said:
Elate said:
you realize that he made that video before they started doing biweekly content updates that are actually worthwhile to play right? And I dont think he has really touched the game since then.
Yes he has (not recently mind you.), I've followed him since then, live streams etc. Just because they're biweekly doesn't change a whole lot though, they're still maybe a few hours worth of dicking around, and that's it. The Teq Rising update had a few days longer life span since it took people a while to figure out how to kill it, and from what I understand Halloween this year was a rehash with a few bits added.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Elate said:
AldUK said:
Irrational? No, my reasoning is plenty rational. I do play the game, or rather, I did, and will once any content comes out. Currently though, they're so stuck on that living world crap, which is a poor stand in for any proper gameplay that most players are waiting for like myself, because there really is nothing worth while.

Worgen said:
See above.

I'll let Dontain explain. He takes about 2-3 minutes to get to it, but he explains why living story essentially sucks. Also, it should be noted the promised expansion mentioned in May, has yet to show its head.
So, your complaining that gw2 doesn't already have an expansion? You do realize it took world of warcraft 3 years to come out with a real expansion. GW2 is just over a year old and already its getting new content added regularly.