EA May Be Working On An Open-World Star Wars Game

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
EA May Be Working On An Open-World Star Wars Game

EA Canada appears to be gearing up for development of an open-world next-gen Star Wars title, with some help from Visceral Games.

A series of job postings across multiple EA studios seem to indicate that the publisher is developing a next-gen, open-world Star Wars game. If that's true, and if it's done well, EA may as well start printing money - but right now that information comes from a number of connected dots, with no official word from the publisher. Still, the evidence is there, and even the unconfirmed rumors are enough to wind up any Star Wars fan.

EA Canada currently has an open position for an Animation Director [http://careersearch.ea.com/ca/burnaby/art/jobid3993862-animation-director-jobs], set to work on an unnamed Star Wars title: specifically, to "help define and deliver on the vision for a major new next gen open world action game." Ordinarily that would settle it, but there are a few other wrinkles worth noting. It takes a lot of work to build a next-gen open world action game, and Kotaku notes that EA Canada has done some downsizing lately - possibly leaving the studio with too small a work force to handle this project on its own. Meanwhile, the EA-owned Visceral Games is also working on its own unnamed Star Wars project - and incidentally, the Animation Director position asks for experience with multi-site development.

Putting all this together, there are a couple of possibilities. It looks like an open-world Stars Wars game is coming, either from EA Canada or Visceral, or both. That in itself would be pretty cool; the closest we've come to that kind of game was the ill-fated Star Wars 1313. Then again, until we hear from official sources, this is all rumor and hearsay, and we might be on a wild womp rat chase.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/thats-no-moon-thats-a-possible-open-world-star-wars-1472612003]

Sep 14, 2009
Jadak said:
As long as it's not another MMO...
agreed, it has a distinct sniff of possibly being an mmo, I hope I'm very wrong though.

OT: interesting to see what it is, but until then not much to say really

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I could've sworn I saw an article somewhere that stated that they were not going to make any more Starwars video games.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Dragonbums said:
I could've sworn I saw an article somewhere that stated that they were not going to make any more Starwars video games.
If we're remembering the same article it was specifically about movie tie in video games. So we'll still get Star Wars games but we won't get Star Wars VII: The Movie: The Game.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
You lost me at EA...

It's just going to be a third person action game with a ton of microtransactions.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Falterfire said:
Dragonbums said:
If we're remembering the same article it was specifically about movie tie in video games. So we'll still get Star Wars games but we won't get Star Wars VII: The Movie: The Game.
Gotta love those wording loopholes.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
As long as it isn't an MMO, which it surely wouldn't be as it would compete with ToR, this has a good chance of making my private areas moist.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
I would love to see a Skyrim-type game within the Star Wars universe...

I think it would be great fun...
Then again, a lot of games with "that type" of game style sound great on paper...

But this is EA we're talking about... They'll probably charge you to jump planets...
(Speaking of which, it would have to be a bloody huge game to be proper "open world" Star Wars...

Furism

Sep 10, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
Jadak said:
As long as it's not another MMO...
agreed, it has a distinct sniff of possibly being an mmo, I hope I'm very wrong though.

OT: interesting to see what it is, but until then not much to say really
Pretty sure they want to get on the GTA bandwagon. It's only logic attempting that (and probably fail) after failing to get on WoW bandwagon. EA doesn't seem to understand that copying the features of games isn't the way to do it, they need to copy the spirit. Or, gee, come up with their own. But since they're beyond taking risks, they'll keep failing.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Dragonbums said:
Falterfire said:
Dragonbums said:
They are not loopholes. That's what the article was about. EA has the exclusive license to make Star Wars video games. Why the fuck wouldn't they make any? They just made a business decision. And they're right. Those types of games usually suck.

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
VladG said:
You lost me at EA...

It's just going to be a third person action game with a ton of microtransactions.
well its either EA or nothing as they own the star wars game licence for 10 years.

Apr 5, 2008
That does sound interesting, I must admit. Saying that, Star wars is set in space and really ought to involve multiple planets, rather than one sandbox city. Will reserve judgement on this one.

With Visceral making it, does that mean it'll be a bland, franchise-killing TPS with microtransactions?

Neyon

May 3, 2009
This will be it. This is the game in which EA will make us pay to reload after 40 hours of gameplay.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Would you like to pay $2 for a different colour of lightsaber, or $10 and unlock the next tier of Force powers early? Well you're in luck, we're EA!

Is basically what I left that article with the idea of.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
GTP! Grand Theft Podracer!

Joking aside, you have my interest EA, but I swear to god, if it's another MMO... Open world hopefully doesn't mean one planet, but that could still be cool if done right. Open world is a gaming term used to describe a game where you can just go almost anywhere whenever you want to, so hopefully they mean that, but in a galaxy far far away.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Cognimancer said:
If that's true, and if it's done well, EA may as well start printing money
The trouble is, this is almost always the case. It's incredibly easy to come up with ideas for games that sound great. "Open world game set in the [insert popular franchise here] universe" is never going to sound like a bad idea on paper. Actually doing it well is another matter entirely, and the vast majority will end up sucking donkey balls.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
Dragonbums said:
Falterfire said:
Dragonbums said:
They are not loopholes. That's what the article was about. EA has the exclusive license to make Star Wars video games. Why the fuck wouldn't they make any? They just made a business decision. And they're right. Those types of games usually suck.
The headline we were both referring to that came up a while ago said EA won't be making Star Wars games. While it's my fault I didn't look at the particular details (because I could care less about Starwars nor EA at this point) that's what I was referring to.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
Unfortunately, with EA's microtransaction policies of late, along with their reputation, can't make me excited for this.

I'd love to see more Star Wars games, and the open-world genre is one of my favourites... but since it's EA I just know they'll ruin it by charging extra for everything they feel they can get away with.