Microsoft Debuts Its Xbox Video Website

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Microsoft Debuts Its Xbox Video Website

Microsoft has launched its Xbox Video website, but the service is missing an important feature.

Today, Microsoft unveiled a swanky, new website for the Xbox Video service that launched alongside the Xbox One. The website, video.xbox.com, allows PC and Mac users to stream movies and television shows via their favorite web browser.

Don't confuse Xbox Video with Netflix, though. Microsoft's streaming service isn't subscription based, which means that each video has its very own rental fee. Movies like Red 2 and World War Z will drain $4-$5 from your bank account, while television shows like Doctor Who and American Horror Story typically cost $2 per episode.

Strangely, the Xbox Video website does not currently support HD streaming, an option that is available on the Xbox One and the proprietary Windows 8.1 application.

The website reportedly has over 300,000 videos to choose from, and many of those are new releases, which means that Xbox Video could become a very real competitor in the streaming video industry. Netflix has always attempted to keep its licensing costs down by avoiding newly released videos, and with Blockbuster recently shuttering its windows [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129386-Blockbuster-Closes-Its-Doors], people have limited options when it comes to new releases.

Plus, with Steven Spielberg producing a Halo series [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsjTJNtrVg0] that will be exclusive to the Xbox One, things might start to get interesting.

Source: Xbox Video [https://video.xbox.com/]

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
Hmmmm, I do see it possibly competing on the movie front, but for television shows it might be a bit of an uphill fight. Especially when it comes to Netflix, as I can watch the first six seasons of the rebooted Doctor Who at no additional charge on there. o_O On a slightly more random note, recently had the pleasure of sneaking my way into the American Netflix service, as opposed to my usual Canadian provider. My sweet God. All the freaking Star Trek series, every Star Trek movie before Abram's reboot, eight seasons of Supernatural, freaking DISNEY movies, both Justice League cartoon series, even stuff I haven't seen in ages like That 70's Show and Chuck. so much nerdy goodness! It looks like three or four times the content that the Canadian service had. At one point I got booted back to the Canadian service, just felt utterly inadequate by comparison. ._.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
What's up with expensive streaming? I'm not going to pay $4-$5 for a stream when Redbox has it for $1.67 blueray.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
wow they really expect people to pay 6 dollars to stream a movie?
Well this is microsoft, so yeah.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
You know what they could do to make this successful?
Bring it to places that aren't the US.
Europe is a streaming wasteland. There's nothing over here, they would have 0 competition.
But I guess competing with netflix with no unique benefit to show for it will work out just fine.

Rodolphe Kourkenko

Dec 10, 2012
loa said:
You know what they could do to make this successful?
Bring it to places that aren't the US.
Europe is a streaming wasteland. There's nothing over here, they would have 0 competition.
But I guess competing with netflix with no unique benefit to show for it will work out just fine.
Not sure if you're serious... Europe isn't a streaming wasteland, far from it !

Example: France (since i'm french it's easier) for only 35$ i'v internet (15mb), two mobil phones, Tv (with more than 200 channel without any subscription) and free streaming of all programms. If i want a recent movie, it'll cost me almost nothing (i never use it so i don't know the price tags) because, with my internet box, i'v acces to twelve different providers for streaming...
And some other countries are like this.

A wasteland... Few countries are a wasteland because it's the government's choice. An example: Belgium, they don't have to pay a subscription, they have to pay what they use so streaming and "always online" console is too expensive as digital games.

In fact, the X1 offer streaming services that a lot of people already have for a better price than 500$.
Europe isn't a wasteland, beside exceptions of course (one of them is Russia but it's not the subject here), you have to find a good provider.

Being clever is always a good solution.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Ok I shall europolize these prices. Almost 1.2? for doctor who episode, almost 4 euros for a movie. Note! Netflix costs me 8 euros a month. And has quite massive library even for the Finnish version of it.

Microsoft keeps wondering why it's products are not making enough money and then discontinue them after a while. Well they are too expensive, not available enough (Aka properly outside US) and mos tof the time wont work.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Have Microsoft never heard of competetive pricing or something? For £6 a month I can get all the Doctor Who sieries on Netflix. And farscape, Breaking Bad, etc etc