New Study Connects Violent Games With Lower Self-Control Among Teens

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Study Connects Violent Games With Lower Self-Control Among Teens

A new study has found that teenagers who play violent videogames are more likely to cheat, behave poorly toward others and eat lots of chocolate.

A team of researchers from the U.S., Italy and the Netherlands recently put 172 Italian high school students aged 13 to 19 through a series of experiments designed to determine how violent games affect their personalities. The experiments began, as they so often do, by having the teens play either a violent game (Grand Theft Auto III or Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas) or a non-violent game (Pinball 3D or Minigolf 3D), but this time the researchers also gave each player a bowl of 100g of chocolate. They were told that they could eat as much as they wanted while they played, but were also warned that it's unhealthy to eat so much chocolate in such a short time span. (For comparison purposes, the average-sized chocolate bar is around 45-50g.) Those who were playing violent games ate more than three times as much chocolate as those who played the non-violent games.

After playing, the teens were given a ten question logic test, with a raffle ticket that could be exchanged for prizes awarded for each correct answer. Once the questions were answered, participants were given an envelope full of tickets and told to take the correct amount; however, those who played the violent games took more than their allotted number of tickets more than eight times as often as those who played the non-violent games. A third test involved playing the games against an unseen (and, in fact, non-existent) "partner," who could be subjected to loud blasts of noise through headphones whenever the participant beat them in the game. Those who played violent games subjected their partners to longer and louder bursts of noise than those who played the non-violent games.

Participants were also given a number of questions that ranked them on a "Moral Disengagement Scale," which found that "of the participants who played the violent videogames, those who scored higher on the Moral Disengagement Scale were more likely to act aggressively, cheat and eat more chocolate."

"We have consistently found in a number of studies that those who play violent games act more aggressively, and this is just more evidence," said Dr. Brad Bushman, professor of communication and psychology at Ohio State University and one of a relatively few number of researchers willing to commit conclusively that games have a deleterious effect on players. "Very few teens are unaffected by violent videogames, but this study helps us address the question of who is most likely to be affected. Those who are most morally disengaged are likely to be the ones who show less self-restraint after gaming."

The correlation of bad behavior with those who play violent videogames and score highly on the Moral Disengagement Scale is interesting, but it also leads to obvious questions about what the real causative factor is here, and unfortunately nothing is said about the behavior of those who scored highly on the scale but played non-violent games. Bushman did state that both males and females were negatively affected by violent gaming, but noted that girls "didn't reach the level of the boys in the study."

Source: Medical News Today [http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/269400.php]

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
This is so small of a test I can't really find it valid. :/ Not even 200 "test subjects", and I can find other issues with what I've read. Heck, 13-19 year olds can already have bad influences from before the study, so that in and of itself can mar the test results, since it seems they have not checked the background of each student they "studied."

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Not suprising at all. After any competative experiance I'd imagine somebody to act more aggresively.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
I don't knwo how the entire test was done, but how long after gaming were the kids asked all those questions? In the heat of the moment responses say nothing of how the person will react once the gaming-high is gone. Also, being in the mindset of playing an action heavy game no doubt has an effect on personality, that's why all media has any kind of effect whatsoever. The connection to long term aggression is null here. Also, some cross-controls seem to be lacking, and the sample size is kind of pathetic.

elexis

just another guy
Mar 17, 2009
I am not seeing the words "scientific", "academic", "peer-reviewed" or "statistically-relevant sample size" anywhere here...

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
I'm sure there's potential for a comment on nationality here but I won't make it.

I'd also wonder how the participants would respond if they had just played a competative sport. Or even Magic the Gathering. I've seen tempers flare a lot while playing that game.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
With studies like these, they don't take into account other behavioral influence factors such as home-life (parenting or lack thereof), family financial class and also family medical and mental history. Without those factors, there's no way to prove its solely gaming that affects the child's development.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Silly people, you shouldn't eat messy/controller smudging food while playing anyway!

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
my god, they ate more chocolate than they were supposed to? who will stop these immoral fiends?!

but let's be real here, even with that factoid, i'd just take the rest of the chocolate anyway to snack on later

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Isn't Ohio State University known for their research? Like, they're probably close to the top ten in America, aren't they? If so, how come the shitty testing procedures? And the wild conclusions? This is the kind of project they'd give you in elementary school to teach you how the scientific method works. And it got published in an actual science journal? Bringing a couple kids in to play video games and eat chocolate for a a couple hours doesn't count as a study. I'm going to disregard anything from the Social Psychological and Personality Science journal from now on. I'll remember the name. It's going on my blacklist, right between Tom Cruise and Apple.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
Oh hey, another one of "these" studies. Considering there was a previous study saying there was no connection, I wouldn't be surprised to see ANOTHER study saying the opposite of THIS study...

THE CYCLE CONTINUES!

TheLastFeeder

Oct 29, 2012
So? If you bore the teenagers, they won't eat as much chocolate and won't get a sugar high?
To many variables for a scientific research. And I'm pretty sure that the teenagers would have been able to point that one out.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
I'm pretty sure you could get similar results by getting one group to play monopoly while another plays trivial pursuit.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
TV affects people in the same way. Show half Die Hard, and the other half some film with absolutely no confrontation and you'll see similar results.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
You know what I find rather interesting is that the studies on the subject seem split along this line:

studies on short term effects ( get test subject to play violent game, measure immediate afterward effects and compare to someone who played a non-violent game ) often do find these links.

studies on longer term effects ( get test subjects, question them about gaming habits, measure various effects and compare those that game a lot to those that don't ) never seem to.

Which I guess means that gaming does affect one's mood but not one's personality?

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Okay, is it me, or is the guy in the picture Steve Martin from Little Shop of Horrors?
<youtube=bOtMizMQ6oM>

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
As others have mentioned the lack of certain terms (such a peer-review, statistically significant sample size, etc) is a little concerning but the follow bit disturbs me a bit more

Andy Chalk said:
A third test involved playing the games against an unseen (and, in fact, non-existent) "partner," who could be subjected to loud blasts of noise through headphones whenever the participant beat them in the game. Those who played violent games subjected their partners to longer and louder bursts of noise than those who played the non-violent games.
The methodology is a little too close to the Milgram experiment[footnote]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_Experiment[/footnote] for my liking. Makes me wonder how they got IRB approval for that... or if they even did.

EDIT:

Not to mention that the study only focused on short-term behavior. Which is silly. Given the wealth of research into psychological priming[footnote]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priming_(psychology)
[/footnote] that indicates that immediate behavior can be affected by what sort of picture is hanging in the room (statistically, people in a room with a picture of violent sport tend to give more aggressive responses than people in a room with a picture of bowl of fruit or potted plant). Further a violent video game will be a more adrenaline producing situation than a non-violent video game so, YES in the immediate aftermath of a play session this may hold water.

But short term behavioral changes happen all the time. Did you know that people that get cut off in traffic tend to show more aggressive and impulsive behavior than people that don't?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'm waiting for the study that actually checks these things, say, a week later.

I mean, yes: you can probably find more aggressive, risk-taking or less self-controlled behavior in people across a wide spectrum after playing a violent video game; it wouldn't surprise me if you got the same result after watching an intense action film or listening to an hour of heavy metal or some of the more aggressive types of rap. People have been known to indulge in these things because it makes them feel more powerful and reckless. That doesn't say anything about how they behave at school the next day.