Dragon Con Co-Founder Pleads Guilty to Child Molestation Charges

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Dragon Con Co-Founder Pleads Guilty to Child Molestation Charges

Dragon Con co-founder Edward Kramer will serve his sentence on house arrest.

The co-founder of multi-genre convention Dragon Con has filed guilty pleas on three counts of child molestation. Edward Kramer will serve the remainder of his confinement sentence under house arrest and then be on probation for the following 15 years.

Three separate teenagers, two of whom are brothers, accused Kramer of sexual abuse. Kramer was accused in 2000 of sodomizing the younger brother. The older brother also came forward with allegations. A third accuser claimed Kramer molested him in 1996. Kramer was arrested in 2011 for endangering a child when authorities learned he had been sharing a hotel room with a 14-year-old boy.

The trial was put off for 13 years. Kramer entered an Alford plea, which is a guilty plea that avoids admitting wrongdoing. Kramer's attorney McNeill Stokes said Kramer was in poor health and could not endure a lengthy trial. Kramer sat in a wheelchair and breathed from an oxygen tank.

Gwinnett County District Attorney Danny Porter said he and the defense counsel had been working out negotiations before the guilty plea on how to settle the case without asking the victims to testify "to let them get some closure."

As a first-time offender, Kramer was sentenced to 20 years, five of which must be under confinement. Because he has already served 26 months of the 5-year sentence, he will spend the remaining 34 months under house arrest.

Kramer's co-founders bought his shares in the company after attendees threatened to boycott the convention if Kramer continued to profit from it. "We...wanted to try and get [the victims] some restitution for the years of suffering that they went through," Porter said.

Kramer will pay each victim $100,000 and register as a sex offender.

Source: AJC.com [http://www.ajc.com/news/news/dragon-con-co-founder-pleads-guilty/nb8rN/]

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
While I hate to be stereotypical, the only way this guy would like more like popular culture's idea of a child molester was if he was wearing a pedobear t-shirt. I guess maybe he only grew the wild beard after he'd been caught. Hopefully the victims can get some closure now.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Very creepy little hairy dude. I'm kind of appalled that child molestation only garners "house arrest"? I suspect that the Fulton County DA will have an election challenge over that decision alone.

Hazzard

Jan 25, 2012
I find it odd that we are suddenly getting a huge surge of these, Lost Prophets Singer, some Northen Irish bloke and a few other BBC people all came out and got arrested.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
faefrost said:
Very creepy little hairy dude. I'm kind of appalled that child molestation only garners "house arrest"? I suspect that the Fulton County DA will have an election challenge over that decision alone.
He got the shit kicked out of him in jail and supposedly broke his back. Which is the reason for the house arrest

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
I don't mean to make light of the situation, but looking at that picture, I'm not surprised that the man is a molester (the glasses do it for me)

One thing that does surprise me though was that the trial was put off for 13 years. I suppose if the man was really in such poor health that he couldn't be around for most court dates then I could understand, but even still, 13 years? That's still a long-ass time to wait on a trial

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
JoJo said:
While I hate to be stereotypical, the only way this guy would like more like popular culture's idea of a child molester was if he was wearing a pedobear t-shirt. I guess maybe he only grew the wild beard after he'd been caught. Hopefully the victims can get some closure now.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Big ass beard, glasses, shifty eyes and kinda sweaty looking. Yeah, it takes effort to get that look.

Yeah, I feel bad for this, it's a shame this happened and this has probably affected their lives to a huge degree. Hopefully the victims will be be able to put this behind them, but that depends on how bad things got.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
faefrost said:
You see those oxygen tubes on his face? He probably needs constant medical attention just to survive.

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
Interesting. I saw this guy in passing at the one and only DragonCon I attended. Guy had a pretty creepy vibe about him.

loa said:
I'm not sure how exactly this is related to gaming.
This is the news forum, not all the topics are gaming related.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
KDR_11k said:
faefrost said:
You see those oxygen tubes on his face? He probably needs constant medical attention just to survive.
According to his attorney he has emphysema, narcolepsy and a degenerative spine.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Eternal_Lament said:
I don't mean to make light of the situation, but looking at that picture, I'm not surprised that the man is a molester (the glasses do it for me)

One thing that does surprise me though was that the trial was put off for 13 years. I suppose if the man was really in such poor health that he couldn't be around for most court dates then I could understand, but even still, 13 years? That's still a long-ass time to wait on a trial
Because the US Justice system is arse and I doubt it'll change before the world ends. That is not to say that our courts over here in Australia are any better of course. There are a gazillion little loopholes, technicalities, ways to stall, etc, which lawyers spend their lives studying.

It's just plain sickening that this lasted so long.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Wow! My wife's an Attorney and we got into an argument over the Alford plea years ago. I had forgotten about it until just now. I think it boils down to "I, as the defendant, will stick to my guns that I am not guilty, but also concede that you have enough evidence to more than likely prove that I am guilty. But since I'm maintaining my innocence, while entering a guilty plea no less, I am exempt from certain penalties that would have come about had an entered a regular guilty plea."

That's my understanding of it. As I said, it's been a while since I discussed it, and conversation became heated because it turned into me screaming "that is bullshit! Someone can say "yeah, I'm guilty, but admitting it in a way that lessens/limits how much you can prosecute me." I understand it is used by people who didn't necessarily know they committed a crime: say for example, someone that was heavily intoxicated, but it is also used by scumbags lighten their sentence.

There are certain crimes that I have sympathy for. This is definitely not one of them.

Fu11Frontal

Apr 17, 2013
albino boo said:
faefrost said:
He got the shit kicked out of him in jail and supposedly broke his back. Which is the reason for the house arrest
Yeah, it's pretty common in the US for people convicted of rapes and crimes against children to be beaten and ostracized by other inmates whilst "inside." A lot of times, these people end up dead before their first year is over.

As for the guy's mug...I don't think there's any way to not look creepy upon the revelation that you're a sexual predator. It's just +100 creep right there.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Fu11Frontal said:
albino boo said:
faefrost said:
Yeah, it's pretty common in the US for people convicted of rapes and crimes against children to be beaten and ostracized by other inmates whilst "inside." A lot of times, these people end up dead before their first year is over.

As for the guy's mug...I don't think there's any way to not look creepy upon the revelation that you're a sexual predator. It's just +100 creep right there.

If only more of them got killed in jail. I won't even apologise for that line of thought. They need to be dead for what they did, and dead people don't cost the justice system as much money. Simple as that. Someone harms a child like that, they need to die. No question.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Sensationary titles strikes again.
Sexual abuse of teenagers is not child molestation because by definition teenagers are not children.