Voice Actor of Sonic the Hedgehog's Tails Dies at 48

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Voice Actor of Sonic the Hedgehog's Tails Dies at 48

Christopher Evan Welch voiced Miles "Tails" Prower in the TV series The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog.

Actor Christopher Evan Welch died in a Los Angeles hospital Monday morning, his agency Paradigm confirmed. Welch acted in many plays, films, and TV shows, including his voiceover role of Miles "Tails" Prower in the TV series The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. He was 48 years old.

The TV show ran from 1993 to 1996 with a plot loosely based on the videogame series. Tails acts as Sonic's best friend and sidekick to the cheeky hedgehog. The show was silly and meant to be lighthearted as the antagonist Dr. Robotnik, later named Eggman in the series, was portrayed as a bumbling, incompetent fool.

Welch had been in Los Angeles for his role in the HBO series Silicon Valley. His cause of death has not been confirmed.

His role as Tails was his first TV credit. He went on to act small roles in The Sopranos, The Practice, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Law & Order: SVU, and The Good Wife. In 2010 he starred in spy drama Rubicon as Grant Test. His film credits include War of the Worlds, Lincoln, The Master, and Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Off screen, Welch acted in plays on and off Broadway. His first Broadway role was in the 1997 play London Assurance.

As someone who grew up with The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, I will remember his role as the young and bright Miles "Tails" Prower fondly.

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2013/film/news/christopher-evan-welch-actor-on-stage-and-screen-and-tv-dies-in-l-a-1200911109/]

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
This is sad. Not as sad as Captain Lou Albano dying, but it' still sad.

May he rest in peace.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
hot-soup said:
Once again, this bloody site writes about another meaningless death... Get some real news to this site please and keep this shit away from here!
It's 100% clear what this news article is about from the title, if it doesn't interest you then just don't read it.

OT: Never really been into Sonic but RIP nonetheless, I wonder what he died from (that particular detail seems to be absent in both the Escapist article and the source).

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
hot-soup said:
Once again, this bloody site writes about another meaningless death... Get some real news to this site please and keep this shit away from here!
All I can say is... It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than open it and remove all doubt.

OT: I grew up with SatAM Sonic, and even though I did not watch it religiously as others, it did answer the question of Tails' origins after all. As for the actor's death, I give my condolences to the family, and it's sad to see such a talented person die too soon.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Mr.Mattress said:
Not as sad as Captain Lou Albano dying, but it' still sad.
Not to take focus off the OT, but...funny you should mention that:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/12/luigi_actor_danny_wells_takes_the_great_warp_pipe_to_the_sky_aged_72

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
hot-soup said:
In case you hadn't noticed, this is a videogame website. So it's logical that news about the death of a videogame voice actor will be posted here.

If you don't like what gets posted on "this bloody site", then go elsewhere. It's really that simple.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Mr.Mattress said:
This is sad. Not as sad as Captain Lou Albano dying, but it' still sad.

May he rest in peace.
Warning somewhat annoying music video approaching.

And we lost a Luigi in the year of Luigi.

I really hope they didn't hate these rolls.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I still hope Jaleel White has years behind him. My plans to make a new sonic game when I get older need him.

This is sad to hear.

Mar 26, 2008
Very sad news. As much as Tails annoyed me at times, he was a good sidekick and a lot better than the randoms that were to follow. Dead at 48 is very tragic.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Dr.Awkward said:
OT: I grew up with SatAM Sonic, and even though I did not watch it religiously as others, it did answer the question of Tails' origins after all. As for the actor's death, I give my condolences to the family, and it's sad to see such a talented person die too soon.
I just checked - wrong Sonic cartoon. The SatAm Sonic (aka, the good Sonic Cartoon) version of Tails was voice acted by Bradley Pierce, who is alive and well as far as I (and IMBD) know.

OT: Sad to hear about anyone dying so young. I wonder what happened to the poor guy.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
The man still had a whole lot ahead of him.

He will be missed.

He did an awesome job on Sonic SatAM.

It's a shame that his life ended so suddenly.

momijirabbit

Nov 2, 2012
This guy has nothing to do with tails.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2013/12/christopher-evans-welch-has-died/

According to this "Following new information released by Welch?s family and acting agency, it turns out that he was not the voice actor for Tails or had anything to do with the Sonic cartoon show,"

Should probably update this.