Gamer Judge Has 'Immature' Hobby, Litigants Claim

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Gamer Judge Has 'Immature' Hobby, Litigants Claim

The Honorable Clark A. Peterson, aka Orcus, Lord of the Undead, is catching flak for his RPG habits.

Civil litigants in Idaho complain that the Judge assigned to hear their cases, the Honorable Clark A. Peterson - aka the founder of Necromancer Games, the founder of Legendary Games and a long-time RPG fan - has allowed his "immature" hobby to distract him from his judicial duties. Peterson spent time, during work hours, posting on blogs and social networks about his hobby. This, the litigants claim, extended their cases by months, costing them thousands in fees.

"Here I'm sitting at $250 an hour with my attorney, and Peterson is costing me money by the minute because he's showing up late," claims Tina Stevens, who argues that Peterson's behaviour stretched her divorce hearing. "I just remember thinking, wow, why are we waiting so long to see the judge? And why should he be blogging from his office?"

Stevens claims her case ended up costing her $65,000, and thanks to her expenses she now lives in an RV with her new husband. She also lost custody of her children and her house.

Another litigant, Michael Tyner, has made Peterson's hobby part of the basis of his appeal, in his probate challenge case. Tyner alleges that the trial took far too long to complete.

When Peterson ruled in favor of Tyner's sister, Tyner claimed that "had this judge been doing his job instead of playing games, his mind somewhere else, he would probably have done the right thing."

Peterson denied Tyler's request for a new trial, stating that any delay in judgement was primarily due to the actions of Tyner's lawyer, which included improper correspondence with Peterson.

Peterson certainly has a lot on his mind at the moment, over and beyond anything to do with his hobby. He's recently been through a divorce, filed for bankruptcy, has had significant overdue income tax issues, and fought a custody battle. However his hobby is apparently the only thing the disappointed litigants can talk about.

While Peterson has posted on gaming boards, and boosted his company's products, in work hours on official machines, Peterson says every post is made during break time. Under departmental policy Peterson, like all Judicial branch employees, is entitled to use state-owned machines and email for personal use on personal time.

Peterson has since promised to scale back his online activities during work hours, and change his Orcus, Lord of the Undead avatar. Not because he has to, he points out, but because it would be politic to do so. "It seems a slight modification to my current practices could substantially address many of the concerns and it would be little more than stubbornness on my part not to make such changes."

Sources: Spokesman [http://www.examiner.com/article/necromancer-games-founder-and-judge-clark-peterson-s-role-playing-on-trial]

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Well, if he's adjusting his habits accordingly I think it should be fine for now on. Shame he was letting it cut into his work time and therefore the time of public law. He went through a divorce so I can see why he would want to escape more than he used to but he is in a pretty high station in the legal system. I doubt he could let it happen again without repercussions.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Gregory Wollf said:
Don't judges make a fair bit of cash? How does one go bankrupt?!
Having a lot of income and having money sense doesn't come hand in hand. My guess is his spending habits aren't the greatest and he may have lost some in a settlement with his ex-wife.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Interesting case, however I think the issue is less him being a gamer, and more a matter of him trying to hold down two jobs, one as a business owner. I could easily see a hobby business like this distracting from someone's real career. His actual gaming habit is doubtlessly irrelevant since the same criticisms could be said about anything non job related a judge (or employee in general) does, but I could see demands being made that someone in his position should not be running a side business this way, especially after complaints.

That said the legal system is infamous for delays and problems to begin with, what it seems we have is a couple of people angry with the judge, and groping for any excuse they can to try and get money or a new hearing. Once someone alleges something against a Judge it seems everyone with a grudge decides to try and jump on it.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
MinionJoe said:
While Peterson has posted on gaming boards, and boosted his company's products, in work hours on official machines, Peterson says every post is made during break time. Under departmental policy Peterson, like all Judicial branch employees, is entitled to use state-owned machines and email for personal use on personal time.
The rules, of course, vary state by state. But in my own state, this is not allowed.

I work in a government-paid position, and we have pretty strict rules about not using state property for personal gain. If I were to write a novel on my work PC, it would become property of the state. Even if I did it during breaks.

Interesting to hear that they do it differently in Idaho.
This in Canada, too. We're allowed personal use of the computers to a point, but anything made on a work computer is property of our work, relevant or not. I post here a lot from work, but don't play games or work on any of my hobbies at work as I know if they wanted to push, anything I 'created' could be claimed by the government.

As for the Judge... I dunno, sounds a bit sketchy to me. He probably was playing too much online and not working enough (every single one of us is guilty of that), but it's bad form for people to again rag on video games.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Probably just has too much on his plate at the moment. Since starting work I've had to scale back the amount of gaming and internet browsing I do a lot, so I can only imagine what it's like for someone with such a highly stated job as well as being a business owner (even if it's just a hobby). I can't even imagine adding a divorce and bankruptcy onto that as well.

As people have said, defendants are grasping at straws to try and re try their cases and unfortunately this guy is their target fall guy.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Ignoring the "immature" jab, if he's dicking around at work he should be responsible for it regardless of hobby.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Only in America...
Dilbert should make a comic about this!

Yay for tabletop RPG's, btw :)

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Phrozenflame500 said:
Ignoring the "immature" jab, if he's dicking around at work he should be responsible for it regardless of hobby.
Agreed, but I think the problem is that people are tunnel visioned on the fact that he plays games, and not that he seems to just have a lazy ass. They're implying he is a lazy ass BECAUSE he plays games.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Sounds like, to me, the people are just upset because the case didn't go their way. Based on all the other things he's going through, I think the games would be the last thing that is eating up his time. This man sounds like he's a wreck and the fact that he's able to keep it together as well as he has is impressive.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
"It seems a slight modification to my current practices could substantially address many of the concerns and it would be little more than stubbornness on my part not to make such changes."
I like this attutide. People complaining about something petty? Humor them. If it shuts them up, fine. If they start pulling new things out of their asses to complain about, even better - it probably proves that they were full of it to begin with and you can stop listening to them.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Wouldn't any posts he makes have times associated with them?

Should be relatively easy to validate how much time he actually spends on such things. I mean even if it's a single post you'd probably need a few minutes to first find the topic, then a few minutes to find the post and then a few minutes to get started on work again.

How much break time he has should be regulated and pretty easy to find, subtract a reasonable amount of time for eating and see how many posts he makes in a day and how spread out they are.

No need to engage in baseless assumptions and accusations when in this case the facts would be trivially easy to find.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I can understand the point of allowing the hobby to interfere with his work, but I can also understand the most likely mental and emotional exhaustion of going through a divorce and bankruptcy to add to the distraction, making the gaming habit all the more palatable as an escape from real life woes. Its not an excuse, just an understanding of the mindset. Showing up to work every day to get that paycheck to pay lawyer fees, probably alimony too was in part on his mind, but the weight of all that can push anyone to distraction and its so easy to latch on the one thing that brings happiness to an otherwise dark day. It sucks because they don't focus on all the circumstances, just the gaming habit which is only part of it. I feel for this guy, I really do because I've had to deal with being at the bottom of the barrel and only having gaming to help you through it... and I also know how it feels to realize you're lax in the responsibility department and have to tone down, tighten the belt and buck up.
Shit sandwich situation.

VoidOfOne

Aug 14, 2013
Hah.

An interesting read. I wonder if things would be different if the judge owned a used-car dealership or a deli or some non-game related business. And when it comes to court cases, things that happen to the losers of these cases are nothing new. Did the judge's hobby/other job lead to their cases turning against them? There's not enough information in the article to determine that (not that I expected there to be). And trials may take a long time to finish; it's not like a judge works on one case at a time. So, I don't know exactly who to side with here, but seriously: "immature"? Go figure.

There is a lesson to be learned: work out your $#@! with your family instead of going to court, because you never know how the judge will rule. Because after that, it takes A LOT to get the ruling reversed or expunged, if there is even a chance.

Yozozo

In a galaxy far, far away...
Mar 28, 2009
Having witnessed how biased against the father the courts in Idaho are, the fact that the woman making her case LOST... well... it means she's more than likely a complete train wreck of a person, and this is just a last ditch attempt for something. I mean... how did all this info about how the judge spends his free time get out? It's like she hired a PI to monitor his activities in an attempt to show incompetence (which again, in ID, HAHAHAHA. Good luck. Any higher judge then him nearby probably knows him personally, or at least 1st name basis)

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
I know others have posted this but I can't help noticing that it is the losers of the cases who are complaining and the winners haven't said anything. Even if the winners didn't have to pay legal fees I would think they'd grumble if the verdict took longer than it should have. No this to me sounds like losers whining and since they can't go after the source of their grievance any-more they are going after the judge, if that fails probably their lawyers next, and so on and so forth.