Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Trailer Depicts An Awful School Life

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Trailer Depicts An Awful School Life

<youtube=9vI_sxaRqyE>​
NIS America will be bringing the murder mystery game to the west just in time for Valentine's Day.

Brought to a school full of talented individuals, all Naegi has going for him is luck. In Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, the only way to escape a school-turned-prison is to kill a classmate and escape innocent in a trial by your peers. NIS America is publishing the game in North America and Europe and has released the first trailer with English voices.

The trailer mostly serves to introduce the characters. A cute and unnerving bear invites everyone to "get the ball rolling" in a voice you might get if you crossed lovable Teddie from Persona 4 with hilarious and fearsome Zero III from Virtue's Last Reward.

Those unsatisfied with the English voices, don't fret. The game will have dual audio, giving players the option to listen to the Japanese audio with English subtitles. These are also short snippets and may sound better within the flow of the game. It's hard to identify which voice belongs to whom, and most of the characters are yelling on top of each other in a frantic courtroom.

High school's tough enough, but at least none of us had to kill a classmate to leave. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc launches on the Vita Feb. 11 for North America and Feb. 14 for Europe.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vI_sxaRqyE]

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
Wow, that is... some odd timing for me. I just finished playing the fan translation of the original release on psp, like, two days ago. I kind of want to support this anyway, but between not owning a Vita, importing the original, and that really bad voice acting(And I'm I guy who almost always prefers English Dubs) I don't feel so bad about not doing that.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Jesus christ that Monokuma dub is god awful. Ugh...

Weeaboo griping aside, it's nice to see this game getting a localization. I highly recommend people give it a shot, without spoiling yourself through the anime if you can. Great story, art, atmosphere and music all around. I might buy the translated version just to support bringing more stuff like this over. I still need to get started on Super Danganronpa 2: Goodbye, School of Despair. It's been sitting here on my shelf for a while now. Maybe I should pickup the remake, 1-2 Reload...

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
VanQ said:
Whats so bad about it? Really, I don't understand whats bad. Is it because its really fucking annoying? Because if so, then I'll point out that that is one of the main points of his character.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Come on man, double quotes are used for direct word for word quotations. "Let's get things rolling" is a mile apart from "get the ball rolling." All you need to do here is lose the quotes, or get it right.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
I've heard some good things about this game lately, mostly described as a cross between Phoenix Wright and 999/Virtue's Last Reward. Supposedly if I like those, I will like this game as well. If true, then this game really peaks my interest (although this trailer did as well). Main problem is that I don't have a Vita. :(

The voice acting seems fine. The bear guy seems like a slightly lighter version of Zero III in VLR, so he has that going for him. EDIT: Forgot to mention, I really like the music in this trailer!

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Good thing NISA always includes the Japanese voices in their games, because that was cringe worthy when compared to the Original Japanese. For me it's more like they aren't good enough to be compared to Megumi Ogata/Yoko Hikasa/Akira Ishida/Miyuki Sawashiro
Already played the PSP one 3 times (Collecting the Power ups)

Keymik

Oct 18, 2008
Darn, I just finished watching the anime like a week ago! :O
Guess i've spoiled myself of the ending.. Oh well, I might still get this just to support it and expand my desolate Vita game folder xD

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Everyone's complaining about the voice dubs
I'm still sad that they changed the "Super High School Level" Titles
Oh well though. I'm still buying it anyways
I will say though, I do like english Chihiro's voice. It may have been just me, but listening to her in japanese and
I instantly thought she was a boy. this one seems more feminine. Then again, Naoto in Persona 4 fooled me, and people thought that was obvious, so... take my word with a grain of salt, but watch your sodium levels
"
I do kinda like Monobear's voice, I mean, it has the same High pitched squeaky sound as the japanese one. What else could they do, make it a guttural baritone? actually that would be awesome... and more likely be a bearitone.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Is it worth buying if you've already seen the anime and as such already know how it progresses?
EyeReaper said:
I do kinda like Monobear's voice, I mean, it has the same High pitched squeaky sound as the japanese one. What else could they do, make it a guttural baritone? actually that would be awesome... and more likely be a bearitone.
Really? I thought it sounded a bit higher. The english one I mean. A guttural tone would fit the parts where he's gone all toothy and red-eyed.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
We need to have a crossover of this with the Phoenix Wright series. This is essentially Phoenix's childhood except darker and with more murder and demon teddy bears.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
kailus13 said:
Is it worth buying if you've already seen the anime and as such already know how it progresses?
Yes, as per usual, details and stuff not included in the anime, also if you want to see more character background.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
uchytjes said:
VanQ said:
Whats so bad about it? Really, I don't understand whats bad. Is it because its really fucking annoying? Because if so, then I'll point out that that is one of the main points of his character.
His Japanese VA got his annoying and psychopathic sides across with his voice. This English VA is a mixture of cute and annoying. It doesn't suit Monokuma at all. I'm pretty sure it's just Teddy's voice or an attempt at Teddy's voice.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
It is too bad I do not have a vita, I have been wanting to play Danggone ronpaul for a long time legitimately. Eh, hrm. Maybe I will pick one up eventually.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
As an already massive fan of Dangan Ronpa from fan translations and LP's who does not own a vita yet, I'm probably going to buy this game at launch anyway so as to do my part in ensuring the other games get an official US release as well, especially since I actually prefer the story and characters of the sequel to the original.

Domogo

Aug 7, 2012
Wow I literally JUST finished the anime tonight. Then I went and read about the game and was wondering if it ever made it to america, Thank you escapist for being WAY ahead of me haha.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Kill a classmate to escape? I just hope the Daily(hate)Mail doesn't hear about this or they'll be a backlash before you can say 'Classroom Murder Simulator'