Indiana Jones Rights Raided By Disney

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Indiana Jones Rights Raided By Disney

We can only hope that top men are working on a new movie. Top. Men.

Disney has bought the distribution and marketing rights for all future movies in the Indiana Jones franchise. Under the terms of the deal, Paramount maintains distribution rights for the original trilogy, plus this other movie called Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, if anyone wants to fess up to that.

Missing from the announcement is any word on a fifth movie in the Jones franchise. However, given how eagerly Disney has been announcing movies <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127782-Star-Wars-Series-Will-Include-Origin-Story-Films>for its other George Lucas-created property, it seems a safe bet we'll be hearing more from the good doctor in some form or another.

Source: Variety

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Yes. Go ahead to buy the rights to some old movies with an amount of money that could create ten potentially successful new movie franchises!

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Exterminas said:
Yes. Go ahead to buy the rights to some old movies with an amount of money that could create ten potentially successful new movie franchises!
Yeah, but that requires creativity. And this is Disney we're talking about.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Well, I guess it's time to begin speculation on what the next Indiana Jones will be about.
Except I can't even begin to think of anything they could do after the Crystal Skull. I mean, can you really go back to 'religious' artifacts after aliens? And for that matter, the Henry we all know and love has gotten really old.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Phrozenflame500 said:
Exterminas said:
Yeah, but that requires creativity. And this is Disney we're talking about.
Depends on your stance on the Avengers thing. Because everyone was thinking Disney was going to ruin Marvel. And then we got the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe bollocks. And while the first Captain America and Thor movies were pretty average, the rest of them have been great, particularly The Avengers, although I'd give most of that credit to Joss whedon's ability to write diverse characters within a group.

And since George Lucas is having very little to do with the new Star Wars films, we might get some decent character writing, since everything after New Hope was shithouse.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
That's a franchise that should have been left alone after the original trilogy. There's no need to make new movies in the franchise. Not everything needs a reboot or shitty sequels. Move the fuck on already, Hollywood!

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Kill off Shia LaDouche in the opening scene and the fifth movie will be off to a great start.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
$10 says it goes to JJ Abrams, just because with Star Wars, Star Trek, and possibly Portal we might as well give him another beloved franchise to turn into a boring lens-flare fest.

Ok that was kind of mean.

I wish we didn't have to mine every series for sequels and instead tried, I don't know, some NEW IP. Clearly that's not about to happen so the best I can hope for is that at least someone talented gets this.

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
Disney Those necromantic bastards! They just love playing with the corpses of our dead heroes. I have been done with Disney for a while now, and I'm starting to lose respect for Pixar.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Retirement Home up next? One things for sure, if they make another movie either a new protagonist will have to be introduced or, more likely, the role will be recast with a younger actor and the canon possibly rebooted a la James Bond.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
This is a little too late. You can't have Indiana Jones without Harrison Ford and he's just too damn old to play the part now.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
PrinceOfShapeir said:
RJ Dalton said:
This is a little too late. You can't have Indiana Jones without Harrison Ford and he's just too damn old to play the part now.
Why does it require Ford?
How is that even a question? Everything about what made Indiana Jones work as a character came from Harrison Ford's performance. You try to extract Harrison Ford out of IJ, it's like when they took Sean Connery out of James Bond. Yeah, you *can do it, but it'll never be as good as the original. And the franchise is long dead. Crystal Skull wasn't so much a revival as a desecration of the corpse. They left Jones in the freezer for too long and all the people who were responsible for making that franchise have moved on. You could spend years trying to recapture the glory of the past movies, but they'll always be lesser films. It would be better to start something new.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Reaper195 said:
Depends on your stance on the Avengers thing. Because everyone was thinking Disney was going to ruin Marvel. And then we got the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe bollocks. And while the first Captain America and Thor movies were pretty average, the rest of them have been great, particularly The Avengers, although I'd give most of that credit to Joss whedon's ability to write diverse characters within a group.
I actually have a theory as to how that happened, and goes like this:
Marvel Films was motivated to get their shit together to please their new overlords, or risk being replaced.

See, people point to their overwhelmingly successful Avengers run. Yet, these same people ignore or forget what came BEFORE Iron Man 1.

The Hulk. Electra. Daredevil.
Yuck.

Joss Whedon was part of the process for their renaissance, yes, but he wasn't the motivation.
Still, Marvel bet on him, and it worked. Lucky Marvel. (though after seeing Thor 2 and the direction those films are going...I don't see Avengers 2 carrying the same thunder as the first)

With Star Wars, it's a bit different...so pardon me while I try to contextualize how and why:

George Lucas clearly didn't give a shit about anything when making the prequel trilogy save for how much forced merchandise he could wring out of each film. The acting was wooden and stilted, the direction was awful, shots were lazily framed and CGI was crammed into every nook and cranny of the film for no good reason other than...I dunno, to show he had a really big computer in his studio?

...And in spite of all that, in spite of the films being mostly BORING and very stupid, it worked; he still made BILLIONS just because it was freaking Star Wars.

To Disney, Star Wars is the perfect kind of franchise; it's going to succeed because no matter how shallow, miserable and shitty the films are because the franchise's cultural relevance lends it unshakeable market stability AND an ability to shit out merch by the boatload.

And it's not like this process is new to Disney; hell, they're right up there with Lucas in terms of plundering their own films for lazy cash. Consider how many forced shitty sequels and echo-pattern merchandise branding they're pushed out over the last two decades...it's kind of sickening, but damn is it effective.

That's why they hired...

And since George Lucas is having very little to do with the new Star Wars films, we might get some decent character writing, since everything after New Hope was shithouse.
...JJ Abrams to direct the new Star Wars films.

If there was a brief flicker of hope in me that someone would treat Star Wars with some respect at last, it died immediately upon hearing the announcement of Abrams as heading the movies.

Based on what I've seen from his Star Trek remakes, Abrams understands geek culture just enough to make references, but is still too much of a hack to make anything that isn't gloriously stupid action crap. But since his stupid action crap sells, it's of no concern to Disney.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
I think MovieBob had the best reaction to this news on Twitter:

"Disney bought Indiana Jones? Why would you buy the rights to something that they aren't going to make any more...oh, no..."
We shall all cringe in anticipation

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Which of those had anything to do with Disney?
Read my post. Figure it out. It's not that hard.
And if you're wondering why I chose to respond this way: I already explicitly stated why.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
This is a nowhere story, told by a nowhere magazine. I mean, is that it? It's been months since Disney bought out Lucas Films and now suddenly "Oh, we think they'll announce an Indiana Jones film". There is nothing even remotely new here. They didn't they were going to make a movie, Disney, has in fact, not made any announcements whatsoever on the matter. Maybe it's just icing on the Star Wars cake that they now have full rights to Amusement Park ride designs. Nobody knows and certainly not anyone who's written this story.

This. is. the. Fox. News. low. level. of. Journalism.

I can understand Vanity Fair printing this dribble, but what's it doing on the Escapist?

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
Day-um, Disney be buying the IP's of everything.
Soon Disney will own the world at this pace.

captcha: Shane come back.
who is this 'shane' captcha?!
TELL ME!