Joel McHale and Geoff Keighley to Host Spike TV's VGX Awards

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Joel McHale and Geoff Keighley to Host Spike TV's VGX Awards

Community star McHale and veteran games journalist Keighley start the former Video Game Awards show at 6 p.m. EST, Friday.

Community star and The Soup host Joel McHale will join Geoff Keighley to emcee the VGX awards, airing Friday night on Spike TV. The announcement came today via Keighley's Twitter account. McHale has played lead character Jeff Winger in NBC's Community since the series started in 2009. The sitcom will begin its fifth season in January. McHale also hosts E!'s The Soup and has been the master of ceremonies at several official Ubisoft events. Video game journalist Keighley currently hosts Spike TV's Game Trailers TV.

The VGX Awards, formerly known as the Spike TV Video Game Awards, air tomorrow at 6 p.m. Eastern. Also confirmed to be in attendance <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130207-VGX-Awards-To-Feature-South-Park-Creators-and-Live-GTA-Music>are the creators of South Park, who will be showing a preview of the upcoming game South Park: The Stick of Truth. Other previews to be shown during the awards include Titanfall, Broken Age and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. And if you're interested in trying out some of the games up for awards this year, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130313-Valve-Unveils-VGX-Steam-Sale>Steam currently has a bunch of them discounted.

Source: <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/6/5182980/vgx-2013-hosts-joel-mchale-geoff-keighley>Polygon

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
So do any of these newcomers actually know about games or what is happening in the games industry?

Alcaste

Mar 2, 2011
Has someone mentioned doritos? No? What about mountain dew? Really? Oh man, sweet.

"Doritos and Mountain Dew, lol"

Anyway. We'll see what happens, but I never have high hopes with these things. I remember when they first came around and I gathered 'round with my friends to watch. It's always weird when things like this don't grow up when you do.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Glaice said:
So do any of these newcomers actually know about games or what is happening in the games industry?
Never even heard of this guy before, nor whatever show Community is. Sounds like they're on to a real winner here.

Surely there are others more suited both to gaming and mass-market appeal?

BlindChance

Librarian
Sep 8, 2009
Oh, geeze. No, Joel. Joel. No. You're better than this. I know Community's going down the crapper but even so. You're better and funnier and should be doing better stuff than this.

Also, GoaThief: If you've not watched Community seasons 1-3, you're missing out. Amazing comedy.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Community> nearly everything else on TV.

Criminal Minds is pretty good too.

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
Oh man. I hope he's still funny without a script. I actually don't know.

Tangent: Community is now becoming a "mass-market appeal" show and I'm sad.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Glaice said:
Lets face it, they can't do any worse than that time they hired.. damn, I forgot his name. You know who I'm talking about, that idiot who thinks he's a stand up comedian? Dane Cook I'm thinking, maybe? Can't be half arsed to look it up.

Coach Morrison

Jun 8, 2009
All I remember from last year was a some rapper, a guy from The Big Bang Theory dressed, and a few others who had nothing to do with video games. At least Community had that one episode where they were in a game or something (need to watch that stuff sometime)so I guess spike is making some progress here. Maybe in 30 years we will get a senile Adam Sessler up there ranting about Donkey Kong.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
GoaThief said:
Glaice said:
Never even heard of this guy before, nor whatever show Community is. Sounds like they're on to a real winner here.

Surely there are others more suited both to gaming and mass-market appeal?
Well Community has a cult following at most, but its audience would have an interest in games(hell, they did a D&D episode once, and an episode as an 8-bit RPG).

Also McHale is a cool guy, but I still think that the VGAs are a fucking joke.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Akichi Daikashima said:
Also McHale is a cool guy, but I still think that the VGAs are a fucking joke.
Gotta agree there. All this worrying about the hosts gamer cred seems rather silly, when the whole show is close to being a popularity contest to begin with.