Zelda's Skull Kid Joins Super Smash Bros As Assist Trophy

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Zelda's Skull Kid Joins Super Smash Bros As Assist Trophy

Zelda fan's were in for a treat when they checked Sakurai's daily Smash Bros screenshot [https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAABnUYnZZEvggg].

A familiar face popped up on Super Smash Bros Game Director Masahiro Sakurai's "screenshot of the day" thread on Nintendo's Miiverse social network. "Here's a new Assist Trophy--the Skull Kid!" announced Sakurai in a message accompanying the post. Zelda fans will recognize the child, who appeared in The Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Twilight Princess, as the poor guy who's appearance was altered after getting lost in the lost wood.

"I repeat, it's an Assist Trophy, not a new fighter," stressed Sakurai. "The characters both versions of Link [http://www.smashbros.com/us/] being confirmed, as well as several new Zelda-themed stages. The fate of Gannondorf and Princess Zelda herself, who were playable characters in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, is still unknown.

For those of you unfamiliar with how an assist trophy works, it's basically a Pokeball for characters that aren't Pokemon. When the items appears, whoever picks it up first will summon a random character to come and fight for them for a short period of time. In Brawl, assist trophies contained characters such as the Shadow the Hedgehog, Waluigi, Tingle, and Gray Fox. Skull Kid is the first confirmed assist trophy for the new game.

Most recently, Wii Fit Trainer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129407-Marth-Returns-In-Next-Super-Smash-Bros].

Source: Miiverse [https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAABnUYnZZEvggg]

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Awesome! I love that kid. It's nice to finally see him return to video games. Having him as an actual fighter would have been btter of course, but whattaya gonna do? Especially since it'd be hard to find a moveset for him...

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
malevolentcafe said:
If he's an assist trophy then he better drop the goddamn MOON!
yeah, it's not gonna end well for everybody when they let him loose

Malevolentcafe

Mar 29, 2013
weirdguy said:
malevolentcafe said:
If he's an assist trophy then he better drop the goddamn MOON!
yeah, it's not gonna end well for everybody when they let him loose
If anything as soon as he appears the match timer and stocks should reset. Only just to piss everyone off.

FancyNick

Mar 4, 2013
Aw come on. I mean I am psyched and all but he would be such a cool addition. Add him instead of toon link (I love toon link but I love Skull Kid more).

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
I was super-excited until I got to the 'As Assist Trophy' part. So close...so very, very close...

Something to work from for the inevitable modders though, I guess.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Between this and the Majora's Mask cameo in 'A Link Between Worlds', I'm pretty sure Nintendo is planning on either an HD or 3DS remastering. I never really got into Majora's Mask back when it first came out because time limits in games annoy me to no end. But if this does get a 3DS remake like Ocarina of Time, I think I'll pick it up.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Tank207 said:
Between this and the Majora's Mask cameo in 'A Link Between Worlds', I'm pretty sure Nintendo is planning on either an HD or 3DS remastering. I never really got into Majora's Mask back when it first came out because time limits in games annoy me to no end. But if this does get a 3DS remake like Ocarina of Time, I think I'll pick it up.
I'd hope so. I'm not the biggest Zelda fan but I absolutely love Majora's Mask, I'd get a HD remake of it in a heartbeat.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Awh... there goes my hopes of seeing him as a playable character.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Queen Michael said:
Awesome! I love that kid. It's nice to finally see him return to video games. Having him as an actual fighter would have been btter of course, but whattaya gonna do? Especially since it'd be hard to find a moveset for him...
Well his final smash would most likely be summoning the moon. He'd have to probably have a strategy like Trainer but without the switching.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Oh, awesome. Nice to see Majora's Mask getting some more love.

Here's hoping they bring back the Great Bay stage, too!

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
When I first saw the picture yesterday, I got super excited till I saw it was an assist trophy. That being said, if this gives a better incentive to get Mask Link as a playable character, that would be awesome. Probably won't happen, but I will keep dreaming.

Here's hoping we see Zelda U, or if Skull Kid's appearance sudden appearance may point to, a Majora's Mask 3DS/Wii U remake at VGX tonight. Again, probably won't happen, but that would really get a bunch of people into Wii U.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Hero of Lime said:
Here's hoping we see Zelda U, or if Skull Kid's appearance sudden appearance may point to, a Majora's Mask 3DS/Wii U remake at VGX tonight. Again, probably won't happen, but that would really get a bunch of people into Wii U.
If Nintendo were to do that then this person would be very very happy. I mean Majora's Mask seems to get no love when it comes to remakes when compared to OoT. T^T
Please Ninendo, make the MM HD remake. Although if it's for the 3DS I can guarantee another "special edition" 3DS XL, which at this point I think Nintendo sorta have gone overboard with those as of late...>.>

OT: Welp, if he doesn't summon the moon to crash down on the stage then I will be very disappointed.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Neronium said:
Hero of Lime said:
If Nintendo were to do that then this person would be very very happy. I mean Majora's Mask seems to get no love when it comes to remakes when compared to OoT. T^T
Please Ninendo, make the MM HD remake. Although if it's for the 3DS I can guarantee another "special edition" 3DS XL, which at this point I think Nintendo sorta have gone overboard with those as of late...>.>

OT: Welp, if he doesn't summon the moon to crash down on the stage then I will be very disappointed.
I think we will get it eventually. Maybe not for a while, but I don't think it's crazy to expect it on 3DS. It's harder to imagine an HD remake coming, but believe me, I would scream for joy for at least 3 weeks if they made it.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I hope they make a parody of shonen manga fight scenes by having an overdramatic moon-dropping assist trophy attack. Something to this effect.

[video]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pU2i2wmxPVU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>[/video]

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
It's a shame they are only a trophy. I would have liked to see how they could work in a "Moonfall" final smash