Destiny Will Release in Nine Months

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Destiny Will Release in Nine Months

The worldwide launch date for Destiny will be September 9, 2014.

The way Bungie talks about its upcoming Destiny shooter, you'd think it was still quite a ways off. Fortunately, it looks like it's closer than we all thought, with the developer announcing that the worldwide launch of Destiny will happen on September 9, 2014. The PS4 and PS3 were specifically mentioned in the announcement, although the game is also due to come out on the Xbox One and Xbox 360.

"Today, in partnership with Activision, we are proud to announce that the worldwide launch of Destiny will happen on September 9th. Accordingly, the Destiny Beta will kick off in the summer of 2014, available first on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3."

The developer also took the opportunity to give us a bit of insight into how Destiny has evolved since it's announcement. "We first shared the design pillars of Destiny less than one year ago," said the developer in an official statement accompanying the announcement. "We promised to redefine what players should expect from a Bungie game. We said we wanted to change the way people play games together. We set our bar high. For us, Destiny represents a once in a lifetime opportunity."

"Only through great risks are great things truly achieved," it added, implying that breaking away from Microsoft to make a sci-fi shooter was a massive risk for the company to make. Bungie is best known for the Halo series of sci-fi shooters.

Previously, Bungie stated that The PC version of Destiny will have to wait [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129290-Destiny-On-PC-Will-Have-To-Wait], as it did not want to spread itself thin by working on too many platforms at once.

Source: Bungie [http://www.bungie.net/7_Destiny-Launch-Date/en/News/News?aid=11318]

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
When I heard this, my heart broke a little. I know it obviously wasn't ready, but Destiny was what I've been waiting for.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
It's good to hear something about the pc port. I think pc gamers are a bit fed up with poorly optimised games. I'm also glad they don't appear to be rushing it out the gate.

I hope this game turns out great.

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
I'm still excited, and I'm taking the later release date (Since they initially announced that it would be launched next Spring) as a sign that they want to take their time and really polish it. Bungie isn't trying to shaft anyone, and they certainly aren't giving Xbox owners the finger.

They just want to release the best game they can for Destiny. It's surprising how much backlash they're getting on their own site...

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Word around the Bungie forums has been that Destiny was expected a lot sooner than September. Hell, the beta was supposed to be 'early' 2014, not halfway though the year.

On the bright side, Bungie gets some extra time to add cool stuff, and I don't have to worry about failing college because I'm too busy playing Destiny. At least, not until fall semester.

captcha: melody pond. Doctor Who reference?

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Getting kinda sick of Bungie's new love affair with Sony. At first, I was excited for them to be able to branch out, but every announcement regarding Destiny is filled with Playstation dickriding. Expand your horizons, but don't forget that every dollar you have came from Xbox gamers, and you keep shitting all over us.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
martyrdrebel27 said:
Getting kinda sick of Bungie's new love affair with Sony. At first, I was excited for them to be able to branch out, but every announcement regarding Destiny is filled with Playstation dickriding. Expand your horizons, but don't forget that every dollar you have came from Xbox gamers, and you keep shitting all over us.
I keep seeing people say stuff like this. Aside from the fact that some former Xbox fans like myself now own PS4's, all that I see in the announcement is that the beta will be on the PS3/4 for an undisclosed amount of time before the Xboxes. How is that dickriding and shitting on you?

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
Compatriot Block said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
I keep seeing people say stuff like this. Aside from the fact that some former Xbox fans like myself now own PS4's, all that I see in the announcement is that the beta will be on the PS3/4 for an undisclosed amount of time before the Xboxes. How is that dickriding and shitting on you?
And hasn't Microsoft gotten plenty of exclusive content of it's own already, along with content it gets first. Bungie is just mentioning the PS3 and PS4 because they get the beta first, Xbox will get it later...I think that's what's happening anyway.

OT: Can't wait for Destiny! I haven't gotten a PS4 yet but I might do so just to play this game. It looks that awesome!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
martyrdrebel27 said:
As an Xbox gamer, I find it hard to get on their rear for this considering how Microsoft fucked Bungie over.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
I was expecting somewhere around March/April...Because it's about ten months away, not nine. And that's a long fuckin' time to wait for a game with a massive amount of hype behind it a couple of months ago.

Nov 28, 2007
Eri said:
Uh...That date is -more- than 9 months away.
Reaper195 said:
I was expecting somewhere around March/April...Because it's about ten months away, not nine. And that's a long fuckin' time to wait for a game with a massive amount of hype behind it a couple of months ago.
It's December now, right? January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September. That's nine months away. Actually, if you want to get technical, it's 9 months and two days, but still.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
martyrdrebel27 said:
Speaking as someone who was a diehard 360 fan, I'm honestly glad Bungie's expanding out and trying new stuff. They want to make a PS or PC game, more power to them. We'll always have Halo Reach. And by the way, you know how they got their start? Mac games.

OT: I don't care how long it takes to make this game. If they want to keep it in production a little longer, give it more features and make sure it all works right, then that's a good thing because it'll make the game better. And given Activision's usual production times, they must realise they have something special on their hands if they're allowing extra dev time.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I got an email from Playstation yesterday saying that I could participate in the beta, "yay", said I.
Then it said I need to preorder in order to be part of it, "nay", said I.

I want to play the game, but I dont want to drop £55 on a game no one really has any idea about yet.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Anyone else hear "destiny" and think "defiance?" Such generic names, I can't help but conflate them.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
The delay sucks, but only because I am really looking forward to the game. I applaud Bungie for pushing it back (even if no set release date was given) as, in the end, we all want a better game as opposed to a rushed one. Given the later release date, though, I'm definitely going to try to get in on the beta.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
They must be betting a lot on Destiny, to push the game all the way back to the start of next year's game rush.
(September is where we start start seeing major releases after the Summer Gaming Drought)

And nice callback to the PC delay...I'm pretty sure they're only truly concerned with the PC version competing with the safer, console versions and not any implied "quality control" reasons.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
thebobmaster said:
Eri said:
Uh...That date is -more- than 9 months away.
Reaper195 said:
It's December now, right? January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September. That's nine months away. Actually, if you want to get technical, it's 9 months and two days, but still.
IN New Zealand, it's the 8th of December. It's another month until 8th Jan. Then another nine months until 8th September. So it's ten months and one day away.....the counting starts now, not in January.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
So apparently they've completed their search for the human host within whom they will gestate this raging hellbeast.