Cranky Kong and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze Arrive February 21

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Cranky Kong and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze Arrive February 21

Cranky Kong confirmed as the fourth playable character in the upcoming Donkey Kong game for WiiU.

Nintendo has confirmed that Cranky Kong will be the fourth playable character in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. Previously confirmed playable characters are Donkey Kong, Gematsu reported [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124837-Donkey-Kong-Country-Tropical-Freeze-Sees-Dixie-Join-Diddy-and-DK] that Amazon Italy may have leaked the identity of the fourth character on December 2 when it updated its box art for the game. The updated box shows the cane-waving elder Kong alongside the rest of the Kong family. The leak from Amazon Italy seemed definitive, and the official confirmation from Nintendo settles it. In-game footage premiered at VGX confirms Cranky Kong will be showing the younger Kongs how it's done. Nintendo also announced the release date for the Americas. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze will arrive February 21st on the WiiU.

In Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze , Vikings have overrun Donkey Kong's home, and raided all his bananas (as usual). The game features five worlds, co-operative multiplayer, and a 2 player simultaneous mode. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is not the first Donkey Kong to feature Cranky Kong as a playable character, but several were Japan-only. In Tropical Freeze, Cranky can use his cane to jump higher than other characters. Jumping on his cane also lets Cranky ignore terrain that would otherwise damage him. Cranky Kong regularly breaks the fourth wall in Donkey Kong titles, and we can expect some grouchy commentary from the old guy while helping Donkey send the Vikings back to their ships.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze will be available in stores and as Nintendo eShop download February 21, 2014.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Either way, I'm still sorta iffy on whether I'm gonna get this one because while I enjoyed Donkey Kong Country Returns, I've never been the biggest fan of the Donkey Kong Country series as a whole. Although Cranky is cool, if he doesn't use his cane like Scrooge McDuck I will be sad.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
So, Cranky Kong is basically Scrooge McDuck? Color me interested! I may be unable to grab the game at release but I've never been disappointed by a 2D DK release and can't wait for this one.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
fuck yeah, I'm up for Cranky showing those whippersnappers how he does things. It's very amusing that he's playable for the first time in three decades (remember, he's the ORIGINAL DK)

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I knew that Cranky was going to be the fourth character. I just knew they would. For the past games, Cranky's been all talk and no action, but now, we get to play as the Original Kong himself!

If you weren't forced to be Donkey Kong, I would always play as Cranky Kong and only Cranky Kong.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Mr.Mattress said:
If you weren't forced to be Donkey Kong, I would always play as Cranky Kong and only Cranky Kong.
Wait, are they pulling a "player one is always x character" thing? You'd think they'd of allowed you to choose your character like how you can with 3D World. I mean I enjoy keeping Mario off my screen in that game, gives more room for Rosalina and Luigi! :p

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Neronium said:
Mr.Mattress said:
Wait, are they pulling a "player one is always x character" thing? You'd think they'd of allowed you to choose your character like how you can with 3D World. I mean I enjoy keeping Mario off my screen in that game, gives more room for Rosalina and Luigi! :p
Sadly, Retro has already said that Player 1 has to be Donkey Kong. And frankly, I don't like playing Multiplayer with my family or friends, especially since most of them don't like video games/the WiiU.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Mr.Mattress said:
Sadly, Retro has already said that Player 1 has to be Donkey Kong. And frankly, I don't like playing Multiplayer with my family or friends, especially since most of them don't like video games/the WiiU.
Well damn, that dampens my interests a bit. I think 3D World may have spoiled me with the fact that I could choose who I wanted to play as, although it's usually always Luigi since you don't get Rosalina until the special world at the end of the game. T^T
Mainly though I can see why they'd do it, but if there's 4 player Co-Op I could see this similar to how the NSMBW and NSMBWU in that the characters people wanna play as will be the ones for players 2 and on.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Cranky has always been my favourite Kong so I'm quite happy with this.

I saw the announcement and for some reason I saw that Joel McHale(Jeff Winger) was present as well. I'm a bit puzzled about that, was he a guest on that game show or one of the hosts?