Electronic Arts Named To HRC's "Best Places To Work 2014" List

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Electronic Arts Named To HRC's "Best Places To Work 2014" List

The Human Rights Campaign has placed Electronic Arts on its list of the best places to work in 2014.

Electronic Arts may be the Corporate Equality Index [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123161-Electronic-Arts-Repeats-as-Worst-Company-in-America], the 12th such survey, which rates workplaces on LGBT equality.

The survey notes that EA prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, offers "partner health/medical insurance" and "parity across other 'soft' benefits for partners," plus transgender-inclusive health insurance coverage and other related resources. The company also "positively engages the external LGBT community" and, perhaps even more important, hasn't recently been embroiled in any "large-scale official or public anti-LGBT blemish."

EA's noteworthy pro-LGBT activities in 2013 included being an official sponsor of the first Gaymer X convention and raising more than $10.5 million with the Humble Origin Bundle, all of which went to charities including the Human Rights Campaign. It's kind of sad that providing equal access to health insurance and benefits is worthy of special recognition but such is the world we live in, and while it may not seem like much compared to, say, fixing Battlefield 4, I still think it's worth a little recognition and praise.

Source: Electronic Arts [http://www.ea.com/news/ea-named-to-best-places-to-work-2014-by-human-rights-campaign]

BlindChance

Librarian
Sep 8, 2009
Well done to EA on this, and in this one (granted limited!) respect, they absolutely deserve it. EA's been consistently pro-LGBT in all regards. (For example, they're one of the few large companies to support GaymerX [http://gaymerconnect.com/].)

Granted, I'd argue they're a crappy place to work for other reasons [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erin_Hoffman], but then, that was a number of years ago. Maybe things have improved.

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
As much as I respect EA for this I do hope that soon we can live in a world where doing those things won't be considered special. For now, Cheers!

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
So, how long can this thread last without someone trying to spin this into something bad?

This is great. Mad props to the dawgs at EA. Other companies should be like this.

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
EA has been interesting lately... They seem to be doing all they can to appeal to people, but just don't know how NOT to think in terms of a business... Which I guess nullifies my first statement. I mean... I guess they're helping out with some things. Just not through expressing developer's ideas.

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
Compatriot Block said:
So, how long can this thread last without someone trying to spin this into something bad?
On the news post on the main page it was the first comment. Still trying to figure out if the person thinks EA is sucking up or if that person just hates gays.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Right so that was their reason for that stunt, they play into someones agenda and that agenda group then calls them best company ever... completely not a manufactured set of circumstances if I ever saw one.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
This is fantastic! I'm glad EA is apathetic to the gender and sexual orientation of the people it forces to work 90 hour work weeks without seeing their family only to be fired once their game is released.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
So... there policy doesn't allow discrimination? That's kind of a given in most companies isn't it? Well it is in Australia atleast.

Although props to them for actively going out and supporting LGBT communities.

But... best place to work? I don't know about that. Maybe from an LGBT rights standpoint, but from some of the stories I've heard, doesn't seem like the 'best' place to work.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Yeah, okay, this is pretty cool. They're not saying that this is the best best place to work, but that it's gone above and beyond the call of duty than just meeting the requirements of inclusion.

This is a good win for EA, I think. Now if only they could, somehow, become an actually good place to work...

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
I think we should keep hating away.
2 New posts about EA doing good in the world as part of their "Best Company in America" bid in one day? Ain't no patch, but it's clear our backlash made someone get out the checkbook for some good karma.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Weaver said:
This is fantastic! I'm glad EA is apathetic to the gender and sexual orientation of the people it forces to work 90 hour work weeks without seeing their family only to be fired their game is released.
I see what you did there and I approve, they don't care what sex your spouse is when you get home, so long as they don't mind that you come home only to sleep and sometimes not even then!

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Honestly, when it comes to work your personal life shouldn't matter at all. Kudos to EA for a good environment, but they're far from the only place doing this.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Weaver said:
This is fantastic! I'm glad EA is apathetic to the gender and sexual orientation of the people it forces to work 90 hour work weeks without seeing their family only to be fired their game is released.
I wish I could remember where I saw it, but it was a clip of EA employees somewhere joking about how their work schedule was flexible, and that they could "work any 80 hours of the week they wanted".

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
So apparently the LGBT Human Rights Comission does not view payment for actual hours worked, or excessive use of crunch time as Human Rights issues? Indentured servitude is ok so long as its ok to openly be gay?