Xbox One Mod Adds Mouse-and-Keyboard, PS4 Controller Support

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
Xbox One Mod Adds Mouse-and-Keyboard, PS4 Controller Support

Not a huge fan of the Xbox One controller? You've got options.

Have you picked up an Xbox One without testing the new controller and now find yourself wishing you could play next-gen games something else? Don't worry, friend. There's still hope: A new update to the CronusMAX, an unauthorized cross-platform compatibility peripheral, has added Xbox One support, allowing players to ditch their Xbox One gamepad for a wider range of options.

Using the device, players can switch out the Xbox One controller for a DualShock 3 or 4, an Xbox 360 gamepad, a Wii U Pro controller or a mouse and keyboard. The video demonstration above also shows the modder using a third-party fighting stick.

"This is perfect for those who love their old 360 controllers," explains mod creator Team Xecuter, "or had a real expensive modded 360 controller and now don't have to worry about buying another, or want to use a PS4 Dualshock 4 controller or want that extra edge by playing with a keyboard and mouse."

Though the device itself does not require users to crack open their Xbox Ones to use it, the software needed to get the CronusMAX running is an unauthorized software mod. Before you run out and pick this thing up, keep in mind that Microsoft can update the Xbox One OS and break the software at any time. Also, like any unauthorized console mod, hack or update, using it could void your console's warranty.

Source: Eurogamer [http://team-xecuter.com/]

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Wait, wasn't there some issue with the Xbone and 360 controllers? Or was that for some other peripherial?

Anyway, good to see the modding scene is off to a good start, now to see what is MS's response to this.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I have a feeling this will be a short lived, but we can always hope it will stay on. So many fighting game fans have expensive fight sticks and some might have bought special controllers which can cost a whole lot and some of us simply have hands that don't go along with the controller design (personally I have long fingers which made the Xbox 360 controller more comfortable than the PS3 controller). However I imagine that for those who like online shooters someone playing with a mouse and keyboard would have so much of an advantage that it would suck out the fun for anyone using a controller.

Still, good to be reminded that modders are looking out for us.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
What's changed that made the One controllers worse from the 360 ones?
On the surface they seemed almost identical.

If they did change it for the worse than that's unfortunate, as I love the 360 controller.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
piinyouri said:

If they did change it for the worse than that's unfortunate, as I love the 360 controller.
Apparently the new shoulder buttons are problematic, as they extrude like a centimetre.

I always loved and still do the original Xbox controller because it accommodates to my hand size, the 360 one is a bit awkward to use, but I only just got it for windows.

(Also my index finger goes numb from holding RT for too long, never happened with the original but it does now for whatever reason)

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
piinyouri said:

Depends on the person. For me the XB1's controller felt flared out and uncomfortable to hold. It put a weird angle on my wrists. The bumpers also don't work like they did on the 360. On the 360 you could press anywhere on the bumper and it'll register. On XB1 it is hinged so if you press near the top of the controller it wont move.

Eventually I realized that the controller has those 2 weird things because you're supposed to have your index fingers on both buttons at the same time. Your finger tips are for the triggers and the middle joint thing on the bumpers. I get it, and I tried it, but it still doesn't feel good.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Aaaaaaaand people using this to play multiplayer/competitive FPS are going to destroy everyone else.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Yuuki said:
Aaaaaaaand people using this to play multiplayer/competitive FPS are going to destroy everyone else.
Came for exactly this. Anyone who hooks up a mouse and keyboard will demolish everyone else, at least in the FPS scene if nothing else.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Ed130 said:
Wait, wasn't there some issue with the Xbone and 360 controllers? Or was that for some other peripherial?

Anyway, good to see the modding scene is off to a good start, now to see what is MS's response to this.
So basically Microsoft can only conform to the only opinion the minority obviously have right now, as in there is obviously no "nope" option since you and some here would more than likely "humph" or slag them off, I really don't see the logic in "now to see the response" since you've implied how you'd already react and if they said "nope I doubt you'd say "kudos for being yourself MS".

Yuuki said:
Yeah I can imagine that happening since the ones that really really need to mod and use a K+M don't want to get their hands dirty from touching a controller that was intended to be used with the console it came with ¬_¬.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Yeah I can imagine that happening since the ones that really really need to mod and use a K+M don't want to get their hands dirty from touching a controller that was intended to be used with the console it came with ¬_¬.
You missed the point, it's going to be very unfair just because of the sheer ease of using this mod.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Ok, now make a hack to install Linux or Win 7 and you got a decent spec gaming machine. Then, unlock those other processors for multi-core use. I'd buy a cheaper PS4 to try that on, if I knew I wouldn't brick it.

You know MS is going to swing the banhammer big time on anyone using this. Anyone messing around with their software causes Sony and MS to go ballistic, ban the offenders and then release a security update to make it harder for anyone else to pull something like this off and maybe take away a feature that has almost nothing to do with just this just for paranoia's sake. They will get away with playing online for a few days, but it won't be worth it.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Ed130 said:
MS stated that the Xbone's "architecture" simply would not function with the 360 controllers (and any headset that wasn't the official Xbone headset).

I knew they were full of shit.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
Ed130 said:
MS stated that the Xbone's "architecture" simply would not function with the 360 controllers (and any headset that wasn't the official Xbone headset).

I knew they were full of shit.
Technically Xbox 360 controller would not work without an adapter because Xbox One uses a different controller Wireless signal to reduce latency. They weren't that full of shit. The video only demonstrates that an adapter could be made. I still question of the latency of the controllers in the video have to connect to the adapter, than to the Xbox One.