EVE Online Launches Twitch Support

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
EVE Online Launches Twitch Support

Starting today, EVE Online players can stream corporate transactions and massive space battles without using an external program.

As a gamer who once waited impatiently for friends to finish their turn of Super Mario Bros., I've never entirely understood the appeal of only watching someone play videogames. Nonetheless, there's actually a huge market for it these days. Many popular games <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129272-Minecraft-Crafts-Built-In-Twitch-Streaming>currently support integrated Twitch streaming, while the PS4 <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130396-PS4-Livestreams-Total-38-Years-Worth-of-Content>recorded 38 years of footage alone. Now EVE Online, CCP's long-running MMO of corporate management and economy-destroying space combat, will also get into the streaming game. Starting today, all EVE members can forward live feeds directly to their Twitch accounts, saving the trouble of using any cumbersome third-party programs.

By default, Twitch options are located under the Neocom root menu, but they can be dragged into the Neocome bar for easy access. Outside of simply streaming footage, EVE's Twitch interface lets you choose the feed's title, resolution, and frame rate before the feed goes live. Unfortunately, EVE's Twitch functionality only works for PC players at this time. CCP is investigating a fix for Mac users, but it won't be ready for today's launch.

Outside of generating interest for EVE Online, Twitch feeds should prove exciting for viewers and players alike. Game streaming already attracts wide audiences to MMOs and online games, especially when <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119425-DotA-2-Champions-Win-1-Million>the lucrative tournament season rolls around. Also, since EVE Online is an incredibly complex MMO, new players could benefit by watching feeds to become familiar with the game. That being said, player CEOs should probably be set their Twitch streams to private, on the off chance they divulge corporate secrets to the entire internet.

Source: EVE Online

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
Would probably be smart to have the ability to delay the broadcast of a stream to like 5 minuets so people can't ambush you.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Somethingfake said:
Would probably be smart to have the ability to delay the broadcast of a stream to like 5 minuets so people can't ambush you.
If you did that, it would severely limit the interaction you could have with your viewers. That's the secret to Twitch, it's not just about watching some guy play a video game, it's the interaction and community. Not counting the big tournaments or LoL streamers of course.

Kyrdra

May 19, 2013
Somethingfake said:
Sadly they said it isnt possible with the code they have at the moment

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
AldUK said:
Somethingfake said:
If you did that, it would severely limit the interaction you could have with your viewers. That's the secret to Twitch, it's not just about watching some guy play a video game, it's the interaction and community. Not counting the big tournaments or LoL streamers of course.
Not really, I've seen normal twitch streams of EVE and that was delayed. He had to do it as he knew his rivals were watching trying to figure out where he was to ambush him. It was still perfectly watchable and he still talked to his viewers who being mostly EVE players themselves, understood and weren't bothered by the delay.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
I didn't know that streaming EVE was a big thing. I might have to start watching it, as I, like many others, really like the concept of EVE but can't get into playing it. Anyone know any good EVE streamers?

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
clippen05 said:
I didn't know that streaming EVE was a big thing. I might have to start watching it, as I, like many others, really like the concept of EVE but can't get into playing it. Anyone know any good EVE streamers?
Not sure off the top of my head, but Twitch usually is pretty good about letting you search its streams.