Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Review - Episode 10: The Bridge

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Review - Episode 10: The Bridge

The Midseason Cliffhanger, wherein it appears we will finally find out... how much longer it will take to find out what happened to Agent Philip Coulson.

Read Full Article

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
There's really only so much faffing about a show can do before it gets ridiculous. This show has reached that point. We get it, theres all this mystery and intrigue goin on. Problem is mystery and intrigue only works when you actually fuckin do somethin with it. Leavin it as a hangin plot point that never remotely gets addressed just makes me not care anymore.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
A few observations of my own..

-Raina is playing Po. The simpering submissive thing is an act for her to get to the Clairvoyant. She's a lot more capable than she's pretending to appear.

-Mike tagged Raina when he was "choking her" (Quotes because it was really badly played off). He used the same hand they wiped with the pheromones. Now they have a way to track her if they think about it.

-It looks like the team tightens up pretty well in the coming episodes. Wouldn't be the first time that a team comes together after loosing Coulson.

-Still wondering about the cellist thing. I have a feeling she'll play a big role here soon. And I think Ward knows that Coulson knows about him and May. That's what the whole conversation was about. Coulson basically told him to knock it off..

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
shintakie10 said:
There's really only so much faffing about a show can do before it gets ridiculous. This show has reached that point. We get it, theres all this mystery and intrigue goin on. Problem is mystery and intrigue only works when you actually fuckin do somethin with it. Leavin it as a hangin plot point that never remotely gets addressed just makes me not care anymore.
This is how I'm starting to feel - and how I was feeling during the not-metaplot-heavy Device-Of-The-Week episodes midseason. Honestly, this show is losing me because I don't feel enough continuity between episodes.

vid87

May 17, 2010
I wouldn't mind Peterson coming back - he was pleasant and could be a good heavy-hitter that brings back that whole "he's cheating with powers" thread Ward mentioned that strikes close to home with Stark vs Cap. However, that whole "Shield makes the government the good guys" thing brought up a few articles back returned with Peterson's eager compliance with becoming a soldier. It's REALLY uncomfortable to think this is all coalescing into a pro military-industrial complex on par with "Batman hacks cellphones = Bush was right." I know it's all mostly subjective inference, but I'm not sure I can keep watching if that turns out to be the truth.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Peterson's going to come back. Maybe they'll put him in some sort of witness protection... his alias will be Luke Cage (fixed!).

MY crazy fanboy theory, and believe me I've been carrying this torch for awhile.

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
AgentNein said:
Peterson's going to come back. Maybe they'll put him in some sort of witness protection... his alias will be Nick Cage.

MY crazy fanboy theory, and believe me I've been carrying this torch for awhile.
Don't you mean Luke Cage? And I hope they will go that way too. Mike is a good character, strong, instantly likable, and more "normal" than just about anyone else despite being the only one who has actual superpowers. Also, I just love J. August Richards as an actor. If they are setting him up to be Luke Cage in that Netflix-show, I will be ecstatic.

I thought this episode was really good, mostly because of the aforementioned presence of Mike. It also feels like this is the start of the plot, which I welcome with open arms. The buildup has been pretty great, except for the episode before this one which was really dull, but now I really want the multitude of plot-threads to actually GO somewhere.

Robot-Jesus

Aug 29, 2011
in case anyone cares MODOK was originally MODOC, mental organism designed only for calculation. The killing thing was what he started doing the second the procedure was over, so he changed his own name.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Silverspetz said:
AgentNein said:
Peterson's going to come back. Maybe they'll put him in some sort of witness protection... his alias will be Nick Cage.

Don't you mean Luke Cage?
No, he means the greatest superhero of our generation. The one truth we can cling on to when in times of great peril and darkness.

On-point, I've no idea how I felt about this episode outside of the fact that when the car Coulson was in exploded I kind of got upset for the split-second that he might have been dead, as well as Peterson.

But all the events in this episode seem to be building toward a lot of climax and drama, which is interesting because most of the stuff prior hasn't stirred me as much. I know I'm curious about what happens next, but that's the point with cliffhanger endings I suppose. Damn TV shows.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
I'm up to date on the series, and I have to say I'm in the camp that is just kinda meh about it. I really want to love it, but I just don't really care about any of the characters yet. I don't really know what I was expecting going in, but I'm pretty sure what we got isn't it.

HBaskerville

Jun 22, 2010
This show went in the tank early and has stayed there. If it wasn't backed by Marvel/Disney it would be a cinch to be cancelled. Hopefully it still will be. If we want good stuff, we need to get rid of the crap. Hoping it gets better by the middle of next year does no one any favors.

It's might be too late to revive the cool factor for the Coulson character, but if they can eliminate this show and retcon it away, there might be hope for poor Clarkk Gregg.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Silverspetz said:
AgentNein said:

Erm...yeah. Oops!

And I hope they will go that way too. Mike is a good character, strong, instantly likable, and more "normal" than just about anyone else despite being the only one who has actual superpowers. Also, I just love J. August Richards as an actor. If they are setting him up to be Luke Cage in that Netflix-show, I will be ecstatic.

I thought this episode was really good, mostly because of the aforementioned presence of Mike. It also feels like this is the start of the plot, which I welcome with open arms. The buildup has been pretty great, except for the episode before this one which was really dull, but now I really want the multitude of plot-threads to actually GO somewhere.
Agreed on just about everything. It'll definitely be messing with the character from the comics but I'm pretty okay with that. The character of Mike the working class superhero totally fits a modern Nick Cage: Hero for Hire for me.

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
AgentNein said:
Silverspetz said:
AgentNein said:

Erm...yeah. Oops!

And I hope they will go that way too. Mike is a good character, strong, instantly likable, and more "normal" than just about anyone else despite being the only one who has actual superpowers. Also, I just love J. August Richards as an actor. If they are setting him up to be Luke Cage in that Netflix-show, I will be ecstatic.

Agreed on just about everything. It'll definitely be messing with the character from the comics but I'm pretty okay with that. The character of Mike the working class superhero totally fits a modern Nick Cage: Hero for Hire for me.
Umm, I hate to point this out but, you called him Nick again.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Wait a second...what if Peterson does become the code-named Luke Cage, and he chooses the alias BECAUSE HE'S A FAN OF NIC CAGE?! It would the greatest meta gag ever!

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
One detail: The movieverse seems to borrow heavily from Ultimate Marvel's aesthetic. So MODOK would be a floating normal human head with some metal tentacles powered by nanomachines.

Which would fit well with all this Extremis fun.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
At first I didn't buy the whole 'Life Model Decoy' theory that Bob was passing, but after watching The Avengers yesterday I got a bit more swayed. Particularly, during the scene in which Coulson visits Stark in his penthouse, after his phone is overridden Stark says, "You've reached the Life Model Decoy of Tony Stark." Since it does exist within the established universe, and it seeming like the most likely possibility, I think it might just be true.

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
I'm pretty sure Mike isn't dead. Why go through all the trouble of explaining how state-of-the art his suit was at monitoring his vitals if only the second reading from it was that he was blown up?

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
I bet "The Clairvoyent" is from the future, with Clairvoyence being no more then a cover for knowledge of coming events. Future technology would also explain how CENTIPEDE is continuously getting better tech. Perhaps Coulson's survival is altering a time stream where he should have died.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
JonB said:
shintakie10 said:
This is how I'm starting to feel - and how I was feeling during the not-metaplot-heavy Device-Of-The-Week episodes midseason. Honestly, this show is losing me because I don't feel enough continuity between episodes.
True, but a lot of shows workt that way.

They have some sub plots, but besides coulson's dead/resurection, its not that interesting.
Honestly, i think not revealing what happent is wat's keeping it alive for now.
But that won't workt for ever.

spliting the episode did work i think.
The episode had a decent pase, beter build up of story and delivarence of action.
To bad it was just to do a for a cliffhanger.

Also what the hell was up with May, that blow out at Skye wat uncallt for, and not like her.
She isn't the most empathic, but that was cold.