Hubble Telescope Spots 100 Mile-High Water Geysers on Europa

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Hubble Telescope Spots 100 Mile-High Water Geysers on Europa

New evidence pretty much confirms the existence of a liquid ocean on Jupiter's moon.

Remember the Hubble telescope? Even though it was built with SNES-era technology, it's working just fine (much like your SNES, I bet). Recently, scientists have been using the massive device to plumb the depths of our own solar system. The moons of Jupiter have always been interesting candidates for life and habitation. Now there's new evidence that Europa has a subsurface ocean, as the Hubble has reportedly captured images of huge [a href=http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/hubble-space-telescope-sees-geysers-on-jupiters-moon-europa/2013/12/12/b6f780ac-62c8-11e3-a373-0f9f2d1c2b61_story.html]geysers of water[/a] on its south pole that might reach more than 100 miles high into the cold, thin atmosphere.

Scientists have long suspected the existence of an ocean hidden under the surface of Europa, and an obvious tell-tale sign like this pretty much gives it away. "If there's a geyser 200 kilometers tall, and you could fly a spacecraft through it and sample the water coming out from Europa, that would be phenomenal," said NASA's John Grunsfeld. "What if there are organics in it? That's getting to the question of 'Are we alone in the universe?'"

This isn't the first time the Hubble's looked at Europa. Earlier last year, all that it saw were the occasional spots of hydrogen and oxygen. The leading theory is that huge tidal forces from Jupiter's enormous gravity are the cause behind these spectacular displays. Strong evidence like this do a lot to bump Europa up on the list of candidates for future robotic missions, assuming they could [a href=http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2013/08/17/nasas-mission-improbable/]get the funding[/a].

Source: [a href=http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/hubble-space-telescope-sees-geysers-on-jupiters-moon-europa/2013/12/12/b6f780ac-62c8-11e3-a373-0f9f2d1c2b61_story.html]Washington Post[/a]

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Whoa...that's big news. Love the idea of flying something through it to collect water samples.

If they found life that evolved independently...huge.

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
Gah! Can't help it: "ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS?EXCEPT EUROPA"

But yeah that is amazing, multiple geysers and over 100+ miles high, wow.

Maybe we could install a Wet n Wild water theme park there?

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Huh. That's unexpected. Where there is liquid water, there is indeed a pretty decent chance to find some sort of life.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
"If there's a geyser 200 kilometers tall, and you could fly a spacecraft through it and sample the water coming out from Europa, that would be phenomenal," said NASA's John Grunsfeld. "What if there are organics in it? That's getting to the question of 'Are we alone in the universe?'"
Well, hop to it then John! We've all got less than a lifetime left to live and knowing how long these probes take to build, launch and travel, I'd like to see some real aliens (even if they're only tiny ones) before my time on this planet is up!

vid87

May 17, 2010
....r-really? Actual, physical water in another part of our universe?!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE....I'll stop.

Actually screw it, there's potential for life in the universe!!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

crepesack

May 20, 2008
vid87 said:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE....I'll stop.

The universe is actually ABUNDANT with water. It's made up of two relatively very reactive elements which are relatively low in molecular weight.

Also, if they can sample the water for ATP they'd basically confirm the existence of life.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
This is very good news, I assume. Can we now start planing an unmanned mission to Europa? You know to do something constructive instead of wasting money on wars and shitty TV.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
vid87 said:

There were so many evidence around that supported that there was liquid water on the moon, that scientific community pretty much considered it a fact.

But yes, it's exciting to see that 100% confirmation.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I have to assume I'm wrong here, judging by everyone else's responses, but didn't we already know about this?
I mean this is still fairly news worthy since it's so exceptionally high of a geyser, but I could have swore I remember watching a show that talked about Jupiters moons and mentioning this one, they talked about it's geysers, some of which can be seen from space.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
JoJo said:
"If there's a geyser 200 kilometers tall, and you could fly a spacecraft through it and sample the water coming out from Europa, that would be phenomenal," said NASA's John Grunsfeld. "What if there are organics in it? That's getting to the question of 'Are we alone in the universe?'"
Well, hop to it then John! We've all got less than a lifetime left to live and knowing how long these probes take to build, launch and travel, I'd like to see some real aliens (even if they're only tiny ones) before my time on this planet is up!
What we need is a joyride that fires you into it in a life jacket with a parachute in it.

Best amusement ride ever.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
They've been planning a mission there for years now. Previous missions included a drill of sorts to go through the ice in to the Oceans we already anticipated before releasing a sort of "Alvin" probe to explore. But still, that's pretty cool.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
vid87 said:

You might find this even more amazing. :)

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/universe/features/universe20110722.html

Two teams of astronomers have discovered the largest and farthest reservoir of water ever detected in the universe. The water, equivalent to 140 trillion times all the water in the world's ocean, surrounds a huge, feeding black hole, called a quasar, more than 12 billion light-years away.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
JoJo said:
He cant. The funding has been cut. Thank the military spending.

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
thaluikhain said:
If they found life that evolved independently...huge.
Sure would be great. I imagine there would be a lot of "DEVIL PUT IT THERE TO TEST OUR FAITH" retardation though.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Strazdas said:
JoJo said:
\

NASA can't, but other space agencies might. Eh, not like the US would gain any national pride from leading the space race into the future or anything.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Strazdas said:
JoJo said:
\

NASA can't, but other space agencies might. Eh, not like the US would gain any national pride from leading the space race into the future or anything.
Yes, but he was telling "NASA's John Grunsfeld" to do it. Its not like he wouldnt want to, he jut cant afford it.
ALso by the looks of things China of all things are going head first into space now. Granted a lot of what they do is secret but from what reports we had they are very close to western capabilities now.