Copyright Shenanigans

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I wouldn't be surprised if YouTube ends up going the way of MySpace eventually if Google doesn't sort itself out, it's been a fair few weeks and it still won't let me sort through comments left on my videos that have been 'marked as spam', even though at-least half are innocent of the accusation. Frankly I'm surprised none of them have been removed for spurious copyright infringement either, guess the lack of footage I've used has paid off.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Wait, so both of them have to agree before either of them does anything?

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
JoJo said:
I wouldn't be surprised if YouTube ends up going the way of MySpace eventually if Google doesn't sort itself out, it's been a fair few weeks and it still won't let me sort through comments left on my videos that have been 'marked as spam', even if at-least half are innocent of the accusation. Poor show all round.
So what/which alternative should be our alternative to YouTube?

D-Mc-G

Nov 17, 2009
Hopefully Gav doesn't get screwed over himself, so far it just seems to be people using his music who he was perfectly fine letting them use.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Alcom1 said:
JoJo said:
I wouldn't be surprised if YouTube ends up going the way of MySpace eventually if Google doesn't sort itself out, it's been a fair few weeks and it still won't let me sort through comments left on my videos that have been 'marked as spam', even if at-least half are innocent of the accusation. Poor show all round.
So what/which alternative should be our alternative to YouTube?
This is a personal list I've compiled from other people's suggestions, though I haven't had time to check them out yet so I can't vouch for if they're any good or not.

Dailymotion
Vimeo
Twitch.tv
Game Anyone
Blip.tv

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
It wouldn't surprise me if the various communities that rely on Youtube just throw their hands up in the air and go somewhere that isn't trying to regulate what is basically impossible with or without the use of technology. Why did YT, as big as they are, think that a "content scanner" is the best solution for regulating uploads and copyright management in the first place? Going to court is something they keep trying to avoid, and at this point it's going to be inevitable just for the sake of precedent. And they know they have to fight for the content holders over the copyright holders over the claim of fair use if they want to continue existing...

As for the breaking up of communities? My guess is that the majority of the gaming community would easily migrate to Twitch, and the bigger and more popular of commentators and LPers would just make their own website, which several have or started working on ever since the Google+ implementation.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
I see what you did there Grey. Alcohol AND potatoes for Gavin, because he's Irish and that's all we survive on.
How fucking dare you.

You left out the wife beating.

EDIT:

Hopefully nobody will misunderstand the joke and sic mods on me, but for the record, I'm Irish and therefore qualified to comment on our intake of carbon based compounds.

McKitten

Apr 20, 2013
Dr.Awkward said:
Why did YT, as big as they are, think that a "content scanner" is the best solution for regulating uploads and copyright management in the first place? Going to court is something they keep trying to avoid, and at this point it's going to be inevitable just for the sake of precedent.
It's quite simple really. Youtube bends over backwards for copyright trolls because there's no upside for doing anything else. If Youtube keeps a video up despite some troll asking for it to be taken down, the troll is going to sue them. Which will cost youtube a lot of money, even if they should win. A lot more money than that single video was ever going to make them.
The video creators on the other hand aren't going to sue Youtube. For one, because they don't have a case anyway, Youtube is under no obligation to host their video in the first place. But also, because by the same consideration, starting a lawsuit going to get the video up again is going to cost a lot more money than that video is ever going to make back, not to mention that it can take years.
It's the very definition of legal bullying. Being right or wrong, or what's fair or even legal don't enter into it. The copyright trolls can simply get Youtube to do whatever they want with the mere threat of a lawsuit, because the lawsuit itself is damaging enough to serve as a powerful threat, no matter whether it'd have any chance to succeed or not. It's what happens when legal systems become so corrupted that money rules, not law.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Sheesh, is this argument ever going to end? Or is Youtube so focused on making money that it shills out to the copyright police? I'd boycott the site... but I have a bit of a Youtube addiction... damnit...

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
MinionJoe said:
The biggest flaw in copyright law was the addition of copyright renewal.

The original intent of copyright law was to prevent hucksters from copying and profiting off of another's work. Not to perpetually lock-down creative concepts so that they can never be expanded upon.

This strip gets a 10/10. I look forward to reworking it in 20 years. ;)
That was the second biggest flaw. The biggest flaw was assuming derivative works to be criminal by default, and setting up Fair Use as a special exception to that.

If copyright really cares about protecting the creation of art, then it should be the other way around, all derivative works should be legal unless the first one's publisher can make a claim that it is harming them directly (for example because it is a practically identical copy with nominal changes, interchargible with the first, or because it claims authorship of the first one with plagiarism.

With that, copyright might as well last 200 years, protecting THE ACUAL WORK as a thing, instead of it's "franchise" or "universe" or plot, or sound bites, or screenshots, or costumes, or mechanics, or dialogues.

If you could make a reworking of this comic that adds your own content, you should wait exactly zero days for it, artists should have no business at all stopping other artists from creating other art.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Sad part is the Brothers Grimms works are Public Domain but given how heavily this new setup is being abused it doesn't matter.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011

It's rather depressing that all this is going on. It won't be long now before Youtube is for nothing but cat videos, fail videos, and cat-fail videos.

And Ray William Johnson. >.>

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Yeah, angry joe did a rant earlier this week I think about the youtube copyright claims going out of hand on his own videos. He even had an interview with the Tomb raider developers get a copyright claim by Tomb Raider. Blip.TV works as a good alternative, though it doesn't quite have the same level of organization as youTube does.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well now is a perfect time for someone else to come around and create a better content streaming site. Just needs to have similar ease of use as youtube.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Copyright law as it stands is a fucking joke esp. considering that these claims have nothing to do with protecting the Intellectual Property and have everything to do with these dickhead companies wanting to ensure that only they can make money from anything remotely related to said Intellectual Property.