Ubisoft, Other Devs, Dismissing Recent YouTube Content Claims

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Ubisoft, Other Devs, Dismissing Recent YouTube Content Claims

Similar blessings have also come from Valve and Oddworld Inhabitants, as publishers encourage fans to keep making videos despite YouTube policy changes.

YouTube users uploading footage from Ubisoft games have recently found copyright claims filed against them. However, Ubisoft has assured its fans that nothing has changed in the company outlook towards YouTube and that they "plan to work with as many of you as possible to help remove any incorrect claims," according to a statement on the company blog. "At Ubisoft, we value the talented content creators on YouTube, and we want to empower all of you to produce Ubisoft-related videos," continued the statement. "We would like to reiterate today that nothing has changed in our policy and approach to YouTube content creators ... We appreciate your creative work and we will continue to support your efforts."

The claims were the result of recent changes in how YouTube allows copyright holders to file claims against video posters, stated Ubisoft. Many of the claims on Ubisoft-related material came from a company called IDOL, a longtime partner of Ubisoft which assisted in digitally distributing its music. Ubisoft stated that they're working closely with IDOL to remove the claims, which may take another week or so. The post directed specific questions or requests to be directed towards [email protected].

Around the web, other publishers have also spoken up and told their fans to keep making videos. VG247 reports that both Valve and Oddworld Inhabitants want players to continue posting content related to their titles. "We encourage our users to make videos using Valve game content, such as playthrough or instruction videos or SFM movies," read an official statement from the house of Half-Life. Likewise, Oddworld Inhabitants also gave explicit permission to post videos of their games. "Nothing makes us happier than to see you guys enjoying our games, and it's something we encourage wholeheartedly," the company said.

Source: VG247

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Twenty Ninjas said:
There is a very creepy obsessive focus on UBISOFT in this news article. Despite the fact that Capcom and almost every indie game dev have also said the same thing. Shouldn't the news be more about devs dismissing copyright claims, and not just MIGHTY UBISOFT?
Ubisoft is almost hated as much as EA by PC gamers so it's great flame bait. On topic companies encouraging people to make videos means jack shit until they help the content creators shut this thing down permanently. If people cant support themselves doing the content, the amount of time and quality of videos is going to reflect that. It won't cripple the companies if YouTube continue this route but it would be foolish to assume there would be no negative backlash on their bottom line.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I honestly just can't wrap my head around why any game company or movie studio wouldn't want their content being used to make review videos (for games and movies) and playthroughs/instructions (more for just games). It gets your brand name out there, it gets people interested in your specific product, and it costs you absolutely nothing. You'd think such free advertisement would be something companies would do backflips for, but apparently a Lets Player making a little bit of scratch (that isn't coming out of the company's pockets) on the side completely negates all that free publicity.

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
Ofc nintendo is not among the companys to actually step up for it's community here. I love theyr stuff but they are such a bunch of backwards greedy fuckwits in this regard.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
DaViller said:
Ofc nintendo is not among the companys to actually step up for it's community here. I love theyr stuff but they are such a bunch of backwards greedy fuckwits in this regard.
Unfortunately they're one of a few publishers that are taking advantage of the situation and filing copyright claims of their own against as many videos as they can.
Nintendo ain't as warm and fluffy as they like to make themselves out to be.
Sega and Square Enix are apparently doing the same thing.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
DaViller said:
They are, unfortunately. There was actually a separate Nintendo copyright blitz some months ago.

Captcha: Good Samaritan

..riiiiiiiiiiiiight....

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
"We know we just bit you when a bunch of stuff changed... but keep doing what you've been and we promise not to bite you again. But we might bite you a few more times before this all gets settled... but keep doing it, eventually we'll stop hurting you, we swear."

I'm inclined to believe that they weren't planning on attacking so many people, but still, they've now been given the power to beat us like annoying red-headed stepchildren... and they beat us like annoying red-headed stepchildren, but they're very sorry and they won't let it happen again. They were just having a bad time this week.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Maybe people should just stop relying on YouTube to be their one and only source of video and audio content on the entire Internet.

But nobody ever will.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Russian **** pulls a Tim Langdell and gets every video relating to the Persona video game series removed(including those put up by Atlus themselves)-no stories involving the incident.

SEGA gets a bunch of vids with Shining, Force or Shining Force in the title removed- no stories involving the incident.

Littlekuriboh STILL keeps getting his channel banned by trolls who think it's funny to pretend to be 4Kids- no stories involving the incidents.

Nintendo tries to get remove the current image of the FGC removed from their image- Front page shitstorm.

Some guy who does first impressions video gets removed- front page shitstorm.

Companies say they're not doing the removals on Youtube- front page shitstorm.

Guy's, get your priorities straight. We all know everyone's deciding to finally jump on this bandwagon because only now it will affect them. Seriously, this isn't a issue that started last week. This has been going on for years. Only now people want to get involved because it's the cool thing to do.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Pebkio said:
They were just having a bad time this week.
This time it is actually completely true, Google has it's bots running claims on content without companies permission and then sending out messages to creators that it's X companies claim when they never approved it.
It's even gone so far as shady companies creating illegal content claims so the bots will redirect money to them when the content was never even theirs, there is just no fucking oversight right now.

What the balls Google was thinking when this SkyLawnet went into play will probably never be clear.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
When a game publisher tells you something is stupid as hell and is trampling on user rights, you know you have an issue.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Well it's good to know not all game Publishers are (complete) dickheads.

DaViller said:
I find that rather sad really.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Google was too fast to do something,then noting.

Before this google did little to nothing about "bad" content, they got in a hurry to do something and their robots were over zealous.

So the whole system went haywire and the utube creators went ballistic, this on the heels of the great comment controversy trying to roll up gtalk, fb, twitter and etc and mucking up the whole system so troll comments got to the top comments.

There is talk of some going to twitch, twitch has its own issues but for all intents has been been bulletproof on copyright claims, despite a ton of user streams containing copyrighted music and cutscenes and etc.

Goggle is trying to get a handle on things, they do not want to be a haven for copyright violations but striking a line between fair use, and do not get me started on how big business has gutted fair use laws, and corporate IP interests is a more murky area than maybe ever before.

We live in a time when alternate media is blossoming on utube, some of that media is not very kinda to the games industry as a whole, some big business and devs in general abuse the system to shut this media down. If twitch gets big and used enough the focus will just shift from utube to twitch or w/e all this new media goes.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
RJ 17 said:
I honestly just can't wrap my head around why any game company or movie studio wouldn't want their content being used to make review videos (for games and movies) and playthroughs/instructions (more for just games). It gets your brand name out there, it gets people interested in your specific product, and it costs you absolutely nothing. You'd think such free advertisement would be something companies would do backflips for, but apparently a Lets Player making a little bit of scratch (that isn't coming out of the company's pockets) on the side completely negates all that free publicity.
One thought is that Let's Players will just say a game is crap if it's crap. This means that developers can't sneak crap games through and have a bunch of people buying it based on trailers and hype. Quite what the likes of World War Z and other unfinished games that people bought anyway mean to this equation, I don't know.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I hope this can get worked out. Under other circumstances, something like this could turn into the kind of fury that led to actual reform of IP and Fair Use laws; as it stands, it's getting virtually no attention from the mainstream press that I can detect, as it seems to only effect the video game community. So it's a real question if the game publishers and smaller content providers can actually raise enough ruckus to make Google enact what would probably be an expensive and time-consuming change.

It's an uncomfortable reflection, however, of what may happen if we let Google become the de facto Internet. They may already be so big that they feel no need to change course based on user outcry, confident that there are few real alternatives.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Seems like a lot of companies aren't hesitating about throwing Google under the bus with this Content ID debacle.

Not that I'm blaming them. This is a horrible system, and the fact that it's hurting the companies' reputations as well as the incomes of all of the hard working YouTubers doesn't help.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Yeah I know Blizzard put out an announcement yesterday on Twitter and their forums to message them if anything was flagged incorrectly.

Freakin' youtube man...

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
Does this mean we can still watch videos of people playing Rocksmith, and Literal Tobuscus videos about Assassin's Creed?

Sorry but those were the first two things that popped into my head when I saw the article. Either way it will be interesting to see who Ubisoft decides to let stay and who to let go.

Mysterious Hooded man watches, from a distance...

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
I dunno about the other companies, but it doesn't surprise me that Valve is okay with people using their IP. You don't just make multiple different animation and game capture tools for your games, only to suddenly shit on people who actually use them. (Call me a fanboy, don't care :D)

Frankly, what bothers me about this whole thing is that Youtube thought that it was a good idea to trust a glorified, overzealous Google search engine to hunt down copyright infringements with a "guilty until proven innocent" attitude, even if the owners of said copyright had ZERO interest in putting out such claims.