New York Gamers Challenge You To Escape The Room IRL

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
New York Gamers Challenge You To Escape The Room IRL

No, this is not a point-and-click. Yes, they are legally obligated to let you out. Eventually ...

Stuck in New York City with nothing to do? Take a trip up to West 39th and accept Escape the Room's challenge. You have one hour, and everything around you in this office space could be a clue. Solve the puzzles and get the heck out, because although Escape admits it's legally required to let you out eventually, it doesn't say when.

There are ten tickets on offer for each event, and the event runs from December 20th to January 12th, each Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Early birds get in at $20 a pop, plus fees, while regular tickets are $25 plus fees. Not that many people make it out; only 10% of those groups who go in figure out the cluemaster's puzzles.

"Great event," says attendee Isaac Palka [https://www.facebook.com/escapetheroomnyc]. "Not easy either, we made it out literally in the last minute."

The current escape record is 49 minutes and 45 seconds, but maybe you can top that. Only one way to find out!

Source: Escape the Room [https://www.eventbrite.com/e/escape-the-room-nyc-tickets-8952957537]

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
huh, how clever. If I lived closer to the event, I'd definitely participate. Hell, if someone were to create something like the "nonary game" in real life, I'd fly wherever they wanted to play it. XD

It'd be interesting to see how puzzle game developers could ply their trade in the real world

INeedAName

Feb 16, 2011
balladbird said:
huh, how clever. If I lived closer to the event, I'd definitely participate. Hell, if someone were to create something like the "nonary game" in real life, I'd fly wherever they wanted to play it. XD

It'd be interesting to see how puzzle game developers could ply their trade in the real world
Without the exploding, life-ending bracelets, I presume?

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
INeedAName said:
balladbird said:

Without the exploding, life-ending bracelets, I presume?
pfft, they gotta enforce the rules somehow... though I guess if the lawyers won't let the New York party keep people locked in an office, they'll frown upon bracelets that explode/inject lethal amounts of muscle relaxant... buncha squares.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
I guess this is becoming a thing now, I just listened to the last episode of the comedy button podcast, and one of the guys did one of these a few days ago in California, there is apparently one going to happen in Seattle as well where the premise is you have to escape a werewolf village? seems interesting.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I refuse to go in with the old creepy guy with the permanent grin on his face. Ok, that's a lie. I'll go in with something particularly sharp just in case. Ok that's a lie too, i live in England so can't go anywhere near it. I'll just lock myself in my room with the lights off and broken light bulbs everywhere. It'll save money AND be more challenging! :D

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
I've thought about creating an IRL escape the room for years but I've always had issues when it comes to logistics. In some of the puzzles I've done there have been thing where you find a cord to plug in some kind of electronic device and then inside the electronic device is a key that opens a safe, etc etc etc.

In the flash game versions, you can control what a player can do. In real life, a person can curbstomp the electronic device until it coughs up the key. In the flash game you can force a person to find a key to open the door. In real life, people can drop kick the door until it opens.