DayZ Rushed By New Players After Early Access Launch

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
DayZ Rushed By New Players After Early Access Launch

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/rocket2guns/statuses/412701582191378432]

More than 88,000 new players joined DayZ within 12 hours of its Steam Early Access release.

People like zombies. Sure there are some who are tired of them along with others who'd be more than happy to see the undead subgenre put back in the ground for awhile, but by-and-large we feel confident in saying that a lot of people still really enjoy stories about walking corpses eating hapless humans.

If you want proof of that you need look no further than DayZ. The original version, a mod of Bohemia Interactive's Arma 2, garnered a sizable fanbase with its unforgiving gameplay and survival mechanics. Now, with the standalone game's alpha version recently released to Steam Early Access, it looks as though the game's popularity is destined to repeat itself.

According to <a href=https://twitter.com/maruksp/status/412867545624887296>developers at Bohemia, the game managed to accumulate more than 88,000 players within 12 hours of its Early Access launch. Dean Hall, DayZ's creator would <a href=https://twitter.com/rocket2guns/statuses/412701582191378432>later add that some 19,000 of these new players joined within the first hour with the "number increasing by 200 a second" at one point. Included amongst those new players was apparently Cliff Bleszkinski of Gears of War fame who promptly reported finding a bug via his <a href=https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/status/412735565490958336>Twitter account. All of this said, we're curious to see if any our readers were among these new players. Likewise, we'd love to hear how the standalone version of DayZ, albeit still in its alpha form, holds up compared to the original mod.

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-17-dayz-stampeded-by-88-000-people-in-12-hours>Eurogamer

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
I'll probably pick it up once it goes out of beta/alpha, but I am curious: is it any different since the steam release or is it still unintuitive as hell?

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
uchytjes said:
I'll probably pick it up once it goes out of beta/alpha, but I am curious: is it any different since the steam release or is it still unintuitive as hell?
Speculation is that the game isn't leaving alpha or "early access" until the end of 2014 and beta wont end until end of 2015.

Of course there is no concrete proof of it that I know but essentially if you want a fully functioning game its best to wait a year and see if you still have the desire to play it.

The ones that are impulse buying with not knowing what they are getting are the ones getting burned badly

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
uchytjes said:
Apparently it won't even go to beta for another year, so it's going to be a long wait.

OT: I bought it this morning as soon as I read the news. I haven't actually played it, I just knew that I wanted to, so no need to delay.

Airon

Jan 8, 2012
Seen a play video on the Unit Lost Youtube channel [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_jsTfrZvK4], and the game looks bloody scary, which is brilliant.

Talk about a denser atmosphere. It should definitely be quite the adventure title when the bugs and quirks are ironed out and the game play has been expanded. I'm certainly keeping an eye on this and hope to have the time to play it.

joeman098

Jun 18, 2007
uchytjes said:
it still need a ton of work but its much more the intuitive level of say minecraft, thats what they modeled the interface after, bugy as hell right now but im really happy with it

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Even after it being a mod for about a year and then having to wait a possible 2 more years doesn't seem interesting to me in the least.

I played the mod with friends last year but even after seeing an update a few months back (There was even promise of the standalone coming out during Aug and that never happened) and the game still looks more or less like it did when it was a mod albeit a few tweaks here and there.

I think I'm going to safely bet on myself getting Dying Light before this standalone even begins the final phase of completion.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
joeman098 said:
uchytjes said:
it still need a ton of work but its much more the intuitive level of say minecraft, thats what they modeled the interface after, bugy as hell right now but im really happy with it
Yeah... After playing minecraft for, what is it... 3 years now? yeah. I'ma go with 3. Anyway, after 3 years I can say that that statement is about the trueist thing ever. Minecraft, without the wiki, is about the most unintuitive thing out there.

N3squ1ck

Mar 7, 2012
Would have bought it if I wouldn't have a presentation about a thing I barely understand tomorrow (in roughly 16 hours, and I got almost nothing) at uni tomorrow. So I will buy it when this dreadful week is over. Speaking of which, I should get back to work

remorsless

Dec 10, 2009
I got it as soon as possible. I've been following the development of it quite closely over the last... 18 months? I got sick of the dayz mod (and the mods for the mod) because of the terrible performance, hacking and bugs a while ago but I have to say in the short time I've had with the alpha so, so, so much has improved performance wise! It runs quite smoothly even on a server with 40 people on it. I know the alpha has become available a year later than it was supposed to be but I'm so glad they took the time to do the netcode stuff properly.

There are a few bugs like lights shining through walls and little things like that but I didn't experience anything game breaking. It also seems that loot scavenging and survival is even more unforgiving in standalone than in the original mod. Unfortunately all the clunky ARMA 2 controls and movement stuff is still there... If you've played it you'll know what I'm talking about. Going from a crouch to a sprint takes about as long as a 75 year old with emphysema would... And the inventory system is pretty clunky having to move things to your hands then hotbar then scroll wheeling to activate...

Still, it seems pretty fun so far! If you want cars etc wait a while as I don't think there's any vehicles in it yet.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
While I was trying to come up with a metaphor about gamers being like the zombies they like to kill, I couldn't help but look at CliffyB's twitter and think, "This is the 'genius' who wants to make a proper FPS PC Arena, who apparently forgot about the Unreal games."

To me the 'bug', that Cliffy found is less 'bug' and more, "Well, that particular message isn't going to be a part of the game so does it count?"