GTA Online Patch Adds Capture The Flag, But Deletes North Yankton

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
GTA Online Patch Adds Capture The Flag, But Deletes North Yankton

Rockstar's latest Grand Theft Auto V update removes North Yankton from the multiplayer component, but a swanky, new capture the flag mode has been added.

Anyone who's played the single-player campaign in Grand Theft Auto V will recognize North Yankton from the game's prologue. The snowy locale is a harsh contrast to GTA's bikini-filled beaches, but it only appears twice throughout the title's narrative.

Last week, though, several gamers stumbled across a glitch in GTA Online that allowed players to explore North Yankton [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130455-GTA-Online-Glitch-Opens-Up-Area-of-First-Mission?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=news] without restriction. Sadly, Rockstar's latest patch removes the magical floating island from Grand Theft Auto's online universe.

The patch does include a few positive elements, though. Cash rewards are being increased for losing teams in Last Team standing and Team Deathmatch. Plus, the update addresses a goulash of balance issues and bugs.

However, the most important part of the patch has to be the addition of a swanky, new capture the flag mode. Here's how Rockstar describes the update:

"With 20 new Jobs across four unique modes, this GTA twist on classic capture the flag style confrontations brings a whole new level of adversarial action to the world of Los Santos and Blaine County. Strategy plays a huge role as you run decoys, set traps and place obstacles to ensure your enemies don't get close to your goods."

The new jobs come in four flavors: Raid, Hold, GTA, and Contend. Raid is a standard CTF mode that's set on Vespucci Beach or Fort Zancudo Air Base. Hold is akin to Halo's headhunter mode. Players will need to capture as many packages as possible and hang on to them until time runs out. GTA, as the title might suggest, is a car-stealing mode. The team that manages to steal more cars within the allotted time wins. Contend, on the other hand, tasks players with capturing a package that has been situated directly in the middle of the map.

Feel free to memorialize North Yankton by pouring some malt liquor on the ground, but grab Grand Theft Auto Online's latest update. Capture the flag is waiting.

Source: Rockstar [http://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/201142326--December-17-2013-Grand-Theft-Auto-V-Title-Update-1-08-Notes]

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
so what's the upside?

No, seriously. I couldn't care less about CTF, but the Yankton glitch was actually cool.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Well we can ascertain one thing from this. Rcokstar does not read the ratings feedback at all. They already had a GTA CTF called Patriot Gains, and it was terrible, and everyone thought it was terrible, and it had a low rating. NOW LET'S MAKE A FUCKING MODE OUT OF IT.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
GTA Online looks like a buggy, unfinished and unfulfilled mess.

I am glad that I am waiting for the PC version, as by that time, the multiplayer might actually be worth a damn(seriously, where are the heists you promised players Rockstar?)

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Yeah, I've already traded in my copy of GTA V. Kept all my save data just in case I feel like coming back to Los Santos some day, but really GTA Online just got pretty old pretty fast, especially with all the money-making nerfs that they did. I can understand getting rid of all the glitches that allowed people to make obscene amounts of money really fast, but I think they went a bit too far in their slash'n'burn of profit making possibilities.

Akichi Daikashima said:
(seriously, where are the heists you promised players Rockstar?)
My guess is that the heist missions are going to be part of the first round of paid DLC, likely coupled with story-based paid DLC that's coming out.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Well, that's a shame. The North Yankton bit actually interested me, since it's quite a bit like home. Good thing I'm waiting for the PC version, because modding!

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Per the patchnotes, you can make money in races that have more than the normal amount of laps (I love hosting and crew playing 5-10+ lap races), and can make small amounts of money running the races solo now. That's freaking outstanding- I can actually make money doing time attack now :)

I can't stand public racing lobbies, between the regular bullshit hearing idiots on mic thing, the 90% of players that think racing = demolition derby, and the extreme douchebags who will quit a race (once had a full grid on Through the Grapevine, was in first place by a 30 second margin on the 3rd lap, and they all quit, meaning I didn't get paid a fucking dime) when they're losing and you don't get paid. Now I can just run laps and race against my own best times and my friends' and crew members' times and still get paid. Outstanding.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Elias Islas Rodriguez said:
RJ 17 said:
Yeah, I've already traded in my copy of GTA V. Kept all my save data just in case I feel like coming back to Los Santos some day, but really GTA Online just got pretty old pretty fast, especially with all the money-making nerfs that they did. I can understand getting rid of all the glitches that allowed people to make obscene amounts of money really fast, but I think they went a bit too far in their slash'n'burn of profit making possibilities.

Akichi Daikashima said:
(seriously, where are the heists you promised players Rockstar?)
My guess is that the heist missions are going to be part of the first round of paid DLC, likely coupled with story-based paid DLC that's coming out.
Did you just traded GTA V because you didnt liked GTA: Online???? WHATS WRONG WITH YOU?? GTA V IS GREAT!!! BEST SANDBOX OF THE YEAR!!
I'm guessing you're just being overly dramatic here. But even if you're not, I never said I didn't like it...just that I got bored with it.
Also youre wrong; Rockstar nerfed the LEGAL ways of moneymaking, There are still dozens of glitches that allow you to get rich pretty quickly :(....
That was kinda my point: in their attempt to get rid of all the glitches and such, they nerfed the crap out of the at least quasi-legitimate ways of earning money (repeating a mission only yields half money is the biggest example I can remember). What's funny is that this, in turn, practically forces people to look for new exploits and glitches to earn money.

Also Heist are a work in progress and Rockstar already announced they will be free :D
Fair enough, I hadn't heard that.