Nosgoth Trailer Shows How Multiplayer Works in the Legacy of Kain Universe

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Nosgoth Trailer Shows How Multiplayer Works in the Legacy of Kain Universe

The F2P game will pit Humans against Vampires.

Back in the dark ages, when consoles didn't connect online and chatting was done through an ancient device called "AIM", there existed a series of action adventure games call Legacy of Kain. It featured a dark world of vampires, curses, and murder. Eventually, it spawned the Soul Reaver and Blood Omen games, but the bloodline ran thin and the series vanished along with the Playstation 2. However, last summer, Square Enix announced that it was revitalizing the series with [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124741-Nosgoth-Brings-Multiplayer-To-Legacy-Of-Kain]Nosgoth[/a], a multiplayer game set in the same universe. What exactly does that mean? How would that work? Those questions which haunted us for so long have finally been answered.

Instead of the typical story-driven action game like before, Nosgoth will be a team-based multiplayer game focused on the war between Humans and Vampires. It's asymmetrically balanced, where the Vampires have wings and supernatural abilities, while the humans have various guns and gadgets, not entirely unlike Natural Selection. Nosgoth will be set in its own distinct era from the previous games, so while it will share lore, you won't feel lost if you're new here. The franchise has been dormant for a decade, after all, so even most fans could likely could use a refresher.

Not only that, but developer Psyonix has most of the working pieces in place and is [a href=http://beta.nosgoth.com/register/new]opening up registration[/a] for the upcoming closed beta to get player feedback.

Nosgoth will be free-to-play and available on Steam. No release date has been announced.

Source: [a href=http://www.nosgoth.com/blog]Nosgoth[/a]

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Well. I guess it was naive of me to hope that it would be more like a MMORPG than a shooter/arena-fighting game. You know, something story-driven, even if multiplayer-focused.
Also, the most fascinating parts of those games were - to me at least - not about the vampires or humans as such but about the weird soul-vampire freak Raziel and his realm-shifting, soul-sucking and spirit-sword abilities. I mean, even for a vampire, he was beyond messed up and that was way more interesting than the "normal" vampires.
It kind of makes me want to revisit the old games, though. I mean, I do have them... hm.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
That smidge of gameplay actually looks decent but there's no way in hell you're going to convince me that that and the Legacy of Kain series are set in the same universe.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
anthony87 said:
That smidge of gameplay actually looks decent but there's no way in hell you're going to convince me that that and the Legacy of Kain series are set in the same universe.
Agreed, it made me groan when I saw the reveal trailer; It doesn't look nor feel like a LoK game. That fact the Razielim clan are standing shoulder to shoulder despite the fact Kain had them purged annoys me to no end.

EDIT:

just occurred to me, in the intro to (and also throughout)Soul Reaver, Raziel monologues about how he received the greatest portion of Kain's vampiric gift with Melchiah receiving the least. if that is true, how did the Razielim clan devolve first when Melchiah's brood can barely hold their own bodies together in Soul Reaver and The Turelim (Turel's clan and second strongest) have yet to devolve.

I just don't buy it.

Nightvalien

Oct 18, 2010
Fuck that noise and everyone involved in that bullshit, may they be flayed alive while flesh eating insects devour their insides.

Knife

Mar 20, 2011
Actually the first game was called Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, and then it spawned the Legacy of Kain series, not the other way around. Also the best part of the series was the writing, story and characters. This has none of those and I have no interest in it whatsoever.

Vae Victis!

Oct 2, 2012
I'm just going to pretend I've never seen this, never heard of it, and that it doesn't exist.
Then I'm going to play the real LoK games again and be happy.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
There's a quote that comes to mind every time I hear about this game
"My eyes are open Kain, I find no nobility in the unlife you rudely forced on my unwilling corpse!" Let's just replace Kain in there with Square.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
RT said:
Skeleon said:
Well. I guess it was naive of me to hope that it would be more like a MMORPG than a shooter/arena-fighting game. You know, something story-driven, even if multiplayer-focused.
Also, the most fascinating parts of those games were - to me at least - not about the vampires or humans as such but about the weird soul-vampire freak Raziel and his realm-shifting, soul-sucking and spirit-sword abilities. I mean, even for a vampire, he was beyond messed up and that was way more interesting than the "normal" vampires.
It kind of makes me want to revisit the old games, though. I mean, I do have them... hm.
Yeah, except for the fact that half of the games in the series, including the first one and half of the last one were about a vampire - Kain. Also the series is named after him.
So what? As I said, those parts were not nearly as fascinating to me. They're removing some of the most interesting aspects like the world-shifting from it.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
One of the major BGs better have the Pillars as the primary capture point or I'll be sorely disappointed.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
It seems like every series must be brought back to life only to rush back into the coffin with a F2P multiplayer only title.