Steam Holiday Sale Kicks Off

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Steam Holiday Sale Kicks Off

The holiday season is here and you know what what means: Steam sale!

I'm just going to come out and say it: This whole "Steam sale" business is getting a little tiresome. Sales are great and there's some good stuff up for grabs, but it seems like every time you turn around there's a new Steam sale on. How much money do they think we have?

Anyway, to the point - the 2013 Steam Holiday Sale! Daily Deals, Flash Sales, regular sales, a bunch of stuff mixed in that's still full price and the Community Choice that lets users vote on a new sale every eight hours. The Fallout Collection is five bucks! Borderlands is five bucks! Plants vs. Zombies GOTY Edition is five bucks! Dead Island GOTY is five bucks! Are you seeing a pattern here? Well forget it, because BioShock Infinite is ten bucks! Which is still a pretty good deal for anyone who hasn't already played it.

Valve is also offering a bunch of Holiday Sale Snow Globe Trading Cards that can be crafted into a Holiday Sale Snow Globe Badge, which will earn you some "limited edition" stuff and a free game item - or five if you craft a foil badge! I'm not sure how you get foil over the internet, but I'm old and still mad that I can't buy games in boxes anymore.

The thrill may not be what it once was but there are still a lot of sweet deals on tap (Woodcutter Simulator 2013 for $7.49, and I am totally not making that up) so if you've still got a little bit of coin lying around and some time to kill over the next couple of weeks, you can give it up to Gabe at Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/].

UPDATE: The article originally stated that collecting Snow Globe Badges would earn a free game, which was incorrect - they will earn you a free item for use in certain games.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Somehow this seems appropriate for this situation.

I'm not sure how much Ill be spending on the steam sale this year since I just got a Wii U, depends how much on my wish list goes on sale.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Meh. I'm maybe looking at one or two games and that's it this season.
Probably will leverage it for gifts though.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Wait, Bioshock Infinite was there for 10 bucks? I only see $15. Is that other one over so fast?

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States

It's that time of the year again.

Luckily everything on sale right now I either already have, or have no interest in. We'll have to see what the future holds!

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
I asked my Mother for steam credit this year instead of another gift. Purely because I always end up penniless in the steam xmas sale :D

shiajun said:
Wait, Bioshock Infinite was there for 10 bucks? I only see $15. Is that other one over so fast?
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/36223/

Bargain :D

McGuinty1

Oct 30, 2010
NONONONONONONONONONO!!

Please Gabe, be gentle. My wallet is still sore from the last several years.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
What is strange is that I cannot buy the upgrade from Deus Ex HR to Director's Cut.

Anyway, any day now, Civ V and Fall of The Samurai will go on daily.

And with those games, my life shall dissapear...

Apr 28, 2008
It has begun! [http://gaben.tv/]

Also, I see Metal Gear Rising Revengance is finally on Steam. I'll be taking that...

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
I've found the trading cards to be kind of fun, but I get how some people don't like them. I like the extra artwork.

Anyway, if you do get a Foil Snow Globe or a Foil anything else, you can make some good money. I got a free $4 the other day for selling a foil from the mostly terrible game "The Path".

Before selling a foil, make sure it's one of the more expensive ones on the market. The built in trading forums are a really easy way to get rid of doubles to finish a badge, or trade a cheap card for an expensive card to sell. I got lucky on my "Happy Birthday" foil. Most of the others in that set were like $1. But, if I got one of those $1, I could probably have traded it for the expensive ones.

Anyway, I like the meta-game nature of the system (it's a game about games I own), especially if I can now get a free game out of it.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
shiajun said:
Different countries means different prices. It's 7.50 Euro here which is about the same as 10 USD.

OT: I'm going to be strong this year and not buy anything. It will take all of my strength and then some.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Ugh, another Steam sale? I don't think I'm gonna get anything this time around. My wallet's barely recovered afte--wait, is that Metal Gear Rising? For PC? PRE-PURCHASED.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. Seriously, I put off buying this game for nearly a year just because I heard talk here and there of a PC version. Now I can only hope the PC version isn't capped to 60fps.

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
Andy Chalk said:
Snow Globe Trading Cards that can be crafted into a Holiday Sale Snow Globe Badge, which will earn you some "limited edition" stuff and a free game - or five if you craft a foil badge
Just thought I'd point out that that they do not get you free games.

They get you free in-games items. e.g Hat's for TF2 and Weapons for Dota 2.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
And it looks like its gonna another one full of shitty 33% and 50% offs like the autumn sale.

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
Oh. GamersGate and GoG have had sales on for like a week at this point. My Christmas games list is sorted.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Covarr said:
Ugh, another Steam sale? I don't think I'm gonna get anything this time around. My wallet's barely recovered afte--wait, is that Metal Gear Rising? For PC? PRE-PURCHASED.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. Seriously, I put off buying this game for nearly a year just because I heard talk here and there of a PC version. Now I can only hope the PC version isn't capped to 60fps.
Though I didn't buy it when it came out a friend did, ended up watching him playing through it and it didn't look that bad to be honest, maybe a few hangs here and there but nothing too bad.

If the PC version turns out to be capped to 60fps it still won't be that bad.

Let's not forget that Platinum Games doesn't have the best experience when it comes to porting their games (Rising counts as their first ever port).

OT: While there's a few games I might want I'll most likely end up buying others some early Xmas games.