Creepy Swedish Folk Lore Game Year Walk Coming to PC, Mac

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Creepy Swedish Folk Lore Game Year Walk Coming to PC, Mac

Indie developer Simogo is remaking its unsettling adventure title for iOS devices for PC and Mac, for release via Steam in early 2014.

Supernatural first person adventure game announced on the Simogo blog [http://www.simogo.com/games/yearwalk/] today that a version of Year Walk for PC and Mac will be released in early 2014, via Steam.

The revisions made to the game for the PC and Mac versions include a completely new control scheme, and some changes to the puzzles. The iOS version of the game made use of several iPhone features for its puzzles, like tilt and multitouch, that can't be replicated with a mouse and keyboard. Flesser writes on the Simogo blog, "Some of those puzzles have been redesigned, while others have been completely exchanged for brand new puzzles and interactions. So, redesigning puzzles not only means that we've changed the way you interact, many of them have new art and sounds as well. We even had to create one entirely new location in the forest for one of the new puzzles." A map and optional hint system will also be added to the PC and Mac version.

Year Walk was inspired by Swedish myths and legends, and Simogo collaborated with folk lore expert Theodor Almsten to build the mythology for the world. The Year Walk companion app, released alongside the game, provides background information about the lore and creatures encountered in the game. In the new version, the companion app is integrated directly into the game. Year Walk has been praised on iOS for its unsettling aesthetic, music [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.831558-Game-Music-Bundle-of-the-Damned-Arrives-Next-Week], pacing, and detailed folk lore.

As someone without an iOS device, I'm excited to see this game coming to PC and Mac. If nothing else, we can expect to see some excellent Let's Play videos of Year Walk once it is released.

Source: Simogo [http://simogo.com/blog/2013/12/19/year-walk-is-coming-to-steam-in-early-2014/]

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Ok, the trailer looks pretty weird, but doesn't say anything about the game, what kind of game is this?

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
After TLOU just got hammered in a poll as a console exclusive this just leaves me with wondering where the console version is?.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
I must have this. Especially because of the added information from the companion app. Love me some folklore and know hardly anything about Swedish folklore; plus I love creepy games in general. I'll probably throw money at this as soon as it's up on Steam. You know, unless it's ridiculously priced.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Well, I did recognize the term 'myling' - it is the spirit of a murdered, unbaptized child.

I also have an idea of what 'year walker' might mean. I know an old Scandinavian legend detailing an incredibly complex and dangerous pagan ritual which must be completed over seven years. One who has completed it, is called a year walker - and possesses the ability to communicate with the dead...

I'll dig out the old folklore-book and post a more detailed description of the ritual here, if someone's interested! Just say the word. (Yeah, it's going to be a wall of text and I don't want to do that much typing at 2:30 AM. I'll get right on it tomorrow, if someone reminds me!)

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Shadow-Phoenix said:
After TLOU just got hammered in a poll as a console exclusive this just leaves me with wondering where the console version is?.
I would guess that the console version is whereever the money that sony and microsoft demand to let small titles onto their system is.
Plus the development costs of course.

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
Say what you will about PewDiePie and the other big name let's players out there but they certainly have some extensive libraries of indie games. I remember watching this game a while ago, and finding it quite captivating. Very cool concept, but I'll have to look at a price tag before I buy it.