Jack Chick Dark Dungeons Movie On Course For Gen Con

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Jack Chick Dark Dungeons Movie On Course For Gen Con

Main filming's complete, and now all that's left is the editing.

After a pretty good Kickstarter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123478-Update-Chicks-Dark-Dungeons-Film-Seeks-Kickstarter-Cash], J.R. Ralls is confident his Jack Chick Dark Dungeons film will be ready in time for its first showing, at Gen Con 2014. All the filming's done, and now Ralls just has to edit, edit, and edit some more until Chick's true vision comes shining through.

"I hope every last one of you will be as excited and overjoyed when you see the footage as I was," says Ralls, in a Kickstarter project update.

Jack Chick, for those of you unfamiliar with his unique genius, is an evangelical Christian cartoonist who claims to have sold over 750 million tracts, on all kinds of subjects. Gamers remember him best for his Dark Dungeons short, which can be seen in full Satanism [http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.ASP].

This one should be epic, for all the right reasons. Gen Con attendees, enjoy!

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Ha, great news, I'm a big fan of Jack Chick's work and so I was among the Kickstarter backers, hopefully the movie will be worth it's while when it's finally released.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
JoJo said:
Ha, great news, I'm a big fan of Jack Chick's work and so I was among the Kickstarter backers, hopefully the movie will be worth it's while when it's finally released.
You backed as well?

I did because Dark Dungeons is a part of Tabletop history and should have been immortalized on film years ago.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
JoJo said:
*does a double take*

WHAT?!?!?!?!!?!?!?

Why?

He's a bigotted, ignorant piece of shit.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
This is going to be hilarious.

The best part is, DnD has reached a level of cultural acceptance that attack pieces like Jack Chick's entire body of work lose most of their threat.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
TheDoctor455 said:
JoJo said:
*does a double take*

WHAT?!?!?!?!!?!?!?

Why?

Probably exactly because he's a bigotted, ignorant piece of shit. I know that's why I love him.

JoJo

Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
TheDoctor455 said:
JoJo said:
*does a double take*

WHAT?!?!?!?!!?!?!?

Why?

I find his world view and biases so extreme that they are hilarious to me, I genuinely enjoy reading Chick tracts because of this and I've read most of them at one time or another. Of course, if his universe was real I'd be on the fast track to hell (with about 99% of the world's population) but that's part of the fun :)

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Isn't it a bit late to demonise D&D? Video Games are the big scapegoat now. Keep up Mr Chick :D

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
Wow, I never realized how much Christianity sounded like a cult until I read that comic. Well, this version of it at least.

Are they going to do the movie seriously, or are they going to use the rights to take the piss? I guess it wouldn't have gotten funding as much if it were the former...

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
Well that's good to hear. I don't quite like Chick's writing style, always felt that things went too easily, but I admire the guy's spirit. This is a movie I'll watch.

Also, this is an excellent re-writing of the story that I'd just like to share with everyone. This one fits my taste better.
http://blog.fantasyheartbreaker.com/2010/04/21/whatever-happened-to-elfstar/

TheDoctor455

Apr 1, 2009
Antitonic said:
Wow, I never realized how much Christianity sounded like a cult until I read that comic. Well, this version of it at least.

Are they going to do the movie seriously, or are they going to use the rights to take the piss? I guess it wouldn't have gotten funding as much if it were the former...
It all sounds like a cult the closer you look at its text... and its pre-Constantine history.

Anyway... back on topic...

JoJo said:
TheDoctor455 said:
JoJo said:
*does a double take*

WHAT?!?!?!?!!?!?!?

Why?

I find his world view and biases so extreme that they are hilarious to me, I genuinely enjoy reading Chick tracts because of this and I've read most of them at one time or another. Of course, if his universe was real I'd be on the fast track to hell (with about 99% of the world's population) but that's part of the fun :)
But he's a terrible writer. Even putting my obvious biases aside, he is objectively terrible. He makes Stephenie Meyer look competent.

seiler88

Feb 22, 2011
Oh boy, I'm conflicted. I am a Christian and this is an interesting thing.

On the one hand I have been considering doing a Christian oriented review series and this will give me something recent to riff on.

On the other hand Chick puts out heretical works half the time. Again I am a Christian and it pisses me off that this idiot, who repeatedly mangles Scripture for his own moronic viewpoint and who seems allergic to research, is who many people think of when someone mentions my faith.

JoJo

Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
TheDoctor455 said:
JoJo said:
TheDoctor455 said:
JoJo said:
*does a double take*

WHAT?!?!?!?!!?!?!?

Why?

But he's a terrible writer. Even putting my obvious biases aside, he is objectively terrible. He makes Stephenie Meyer look competent.
That's true but that's also part of what makes the tracts funny. The horribly drawn characters, their instantaneous conversion from sinner to God-fearing Christian as soon as someone mentions Jesus' sacrifice to them, that everyone from the Catholic Church to the UN are involved in a conspiracy against Chick's particular form of Christianity, the fact that some of the tracts even contradict each other. It's an over-used phrase but it's so bad, it's good :p

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
OMG this going to be so hilarious!
Playing the DD story completely straight was probably the right decision and with a low budget this may end up the perfect entertainment on a drunk night.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
I must say I owe something to Chick and others like him, simply because they have actually convinced some people that all Christians share their views on entertainment and the confused reactions I have gotten from telling certain people that I am both a Christian and a D&D/Magic the gathering/videogame player are priceless, hell I have actually improved one or two people's overall opinion on religion that way.
As for this movie, I have a feeling its going to be amazingly funny.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
TheDoctor455 said:
Antitonic said:

It all sounds like a cult the closer you look at its text... and its pre-Constantine history.

JoJo said:
TheDoctor455 said:
JoJo said:
*does a double take*

WHAT?!?!?!?!!?!?!?

Why?

The entire thing is a trollfic based on real life. His... things... are an unintentional Full Life Consequences. And it's funnier because this is what one person ACTUALLY believes.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Antitonic said:

no, see

they're doing this 100% by the books

they didn't have to do a THING to make this movie any funnier than it already is

this is reflected in the kickstarter page expressing almost zero indication that there is a joke here, and it's also probably how they managed to get the rights in the first place

they are going to ride this bus right into hell with a straight face

TheDoctor455

Apr 1, 2009
MCerberus said:
TheDoctor455 said:
Antitonic said:

JoJo said:
TheDoctor455 said:
JoJo said:
*does a double take*

WHAT?!?!?!?!!?!?!?

Why?

The entire thing is a trollfic based on real life. His... things... are an unintentional Full Life Consequences. And it's funnier because this is what one person ACTUALLY believes.
Except... there's also the Westboros Baptist Church, which basically believes the same things this guy does. The main difference is that they picket and protest everything, while he just makes some web comics and is stupid enough to believe his popularity is entirely un-ironic.

jrralls

Apr 23, 2013
Hi all. JR Ralls here, writer and producer of Dark Dungeons The Movie. Sorry I didn't see this thread until now, but just so everyone knows;

1) I am completely 100% serious about adapting Jack Chick's Dark Dungeons into a movie that stays true to the spirit of the comic. In any translation from one media to a different media, changes will be made. But within the limitations of turning a comic into a movie, I can honestly say that I think we've done a pretty good job at keeping true to the source material.

2) The first trailer will be released in less than 10 days. There are a couple of short clips in it that are direct scenes from the comic too. Straw poll: Which scene from Dark Dungeons do you most want to see on film?

3) We are completely on track to have our world premier at Gen Con August 14th to the 17th. What better place to preach the evils of D&D than in the lions den?