Zoo Tycoon Challenge to Help Endangered Animals

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Zoo Tycoon Challenge to Help Endangered Animals

Playing Zoo Tycoon gives non-profit organizations resources to save endangered species each month.

Each month, Microsoft will issue a community challenge in Zoo Tycoon concerning an endangered species. Once the challenge has been met, Microsoft will donate $10,000 to a community-chosen non-profit organization. Voting is underway for the first organization.

For the first organization and related challenge, players can vote among Rhino Rescue, Komodo Survival Program, and the Tiger Species Survival Program. Related challenges are:

Release 1,000 rhinos to the wild in Zoo Tycoon and Microsoft and Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) will donate $10,000 to help protect and deter further poaching of rhino horns in Africa.
Adopt 1,000 Komodo Dragons in Zoo Tycoon and Microsoft and AZA will donate $10,000 to support the Komodo Survival Program's work with the Indonesian government to protect this species.
Release 1,000 Sumatran Tigers into the wild in Zoo Tycoon and Microsoft and AZA will donate $10,000 to the Tiger Species Survival Program to help reduce the number of Sumatran Tigers killed, displaced, or caught in snares.

Voting for the first charity and challenge closes on Dec. 31.

Zoo Tycoon launched on Nov. 22 for Xbox One and Xbox 360. In the single player business simulation game, players can care for their zoo animals, including lions, tigers, bears, elephants, rhinoceroses, hippopotamuses, giraffes, antelopes, chimpanzees, lemurs, capuchins, binturongs, red pandas, sloths, mongooses, fossa, meerkats, iguanas, snakes, monitor lizards, tortoises, flamingos, peafowl, and macaws.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-20-zoo-tycoon-community-challenge-to-help-endangered-animals]

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
In my mind this definitely falls under 'Good ways to use your marketing budget.'

Shame there isn't a PC version of the game or I'd probably pick it up to join in the fun.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
At least there is real money involved instead of the usual "Save this species by liking our page in Facebook", so kudus to them

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Saw that while I've been playing Zoo Tycoon. Good thing to do, and encourages people to play the game and help animals in the process :D

Really fun game too by the way. Microsoft's next best thing to another Viva Pinata in my opinion.

I voted for the Komodo Dragon challenge.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Awww no pc version?
That makes me mega sad, i have fond memories from my childhood of playing zoo tycon on my pc. And rearing the most prolific family of crocodiles ever, and putting them in the same biome as the flamingo's and hoping they don't eat them.

I also remember how damn much the ibex poop xD