Life After Death: The Repercussions of THQ's Demise

TylerColp

Sep 16, 2011
Life After Death: The Repercussions of THQ's Demise

A videogame publisher collapsed earlier this year. THQ is no more.

Read Full Article

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
THQ's death was sad but they just kept making bad choices, the bright side is as you said a lot of the properties that were bought are being at least considered for revival by the people who now own them.

So I can at least hope for another red faction that's actually good this time around, and that a lot of the other franchises are in good hands and taken care of.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Its pretty normal for distributors to be insured against collapse, which is an educated guess as to why companies are suing for lost royalties. The administrators in charge of winding up will make a claim to pay off the missing money. As to, Rubin and Kay suing for $2.1 million each, they might get 10 cents on the dollar as unsecured creditors. $200k each is not to be sneezed at.

THQ Montreal issue is rather dependant on how the Ubisoft bought the studio. If they bought the studio as a going concern there might be a case, but if Ubisoft just bought the assets then there is no case to answer. Also it depends on the grounds which Désilets was fired on. Being the head of THQ's largest studio and responsible for the uDraw faciso, there is an argument that Désilets could be fired for gross misconduct or negligence and in which case his contract will become null and void.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
I was quite surprised to see games like Darksiders and Company of Heroes get updated by these new owners. It makes me hopeful that Dawn of War will one day be revisited and fixed up.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
And I want my $50 back from Aliens Colonial Marines, SEGA, but sometimes life sucks. I hope SEGA doesn't get a penny.

On the games front, Nordic, don't give Red Faction back to Volition. Did you play Red Faction Armageddon? Volition doesn't know what they're doing with Red Faction anymore.

albino boo said:
Its pretty normal for distributors to be insured against collapse, which is an educated guess as to why companies are suing for lost royalties. The administrators in charge of winding up will make a claim to pay off the missing money. As to, Rubin and Kay suing for $2.1 million each, they might get 10 cents on the dollar as unsecured creditors. $200k each is not to be sneezed at.

THQ Montreal issue is rather dependant on how the Ubisoft bought the studio. If they bought the studio as a going concern there might be a case, but if Ubisoft just bought the assets then there is no case to answer. Also it depends on the grounds which Désilets was fired on. Being the head of THQ's largest studio and responsible for the uDraw faciso, there is an argument that Désilets could be fired for gross misconduct or negligence and in which case his contract will become null and void.
It shouldn't really matter what legal loopholes Ubisoft might be able to use to get away with fucking over Desilets. The point is that they are fucking over Desilets and that is disgusting.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Easton Dark said:
It makes me hopeful that Dawn of War will one day be revisited and fixed up.
That depends entirely on GW.

One of the more interesting articles I've read, An insight into a failed company, the reasons behind its demise and the repercussions as told by those that were there beats the previous 'advertising' article by a mile.

TylerColp

Sep 16, 2011
Ed130 said:
Easton Dark said:
It makes me hopeful that Dawn of War will one day be revisited and fixed up.
That depends entirely on GW.

One of the more interesting articles I've read, An insight into a failed company, the reasons behind its demise and the repercussions as told by those that were there beats the previous 'advertising' article by a mile.
I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
As an avid 40k fan and player of all the DoW games, I was heartbroken over THQ's death. And GW isn't exactly peachy when it comes to licensing out their IP for things. This is the company and sued and shut down a German college fan film. It will be a long, long, LONG time before another 40k game is made. The DoW stretch was the longest and quickest release of games in decades. Usually its one PC (Chaos Gate, Final Liberation) every five years or so. Or that God awful Fire Warrior game.
I'm truly disheartened by this.

TylerColp

Sep 16, 2011
Silentpony said:
As an avid 40k fan and player of all the DoW games, I was heartbroken over THQ's death. And GW isn't exactly peachy when it comes to licensing out their IP for things. This is the company and sued and shut down a German college fan film. It will be a long, long, LONG time before another 40k game is made. The DoW stretch was the longest and quickest release of games in decades. Usually its one PC (Chaos Gate, Final Liberation) every five years or so. Or that God awful Fire Warrior game.
There's actually like six Warhammer 40,000 games in the works by various other developers right now; some of them are even RTSs. I don't know about the Dawn of War series though, it might go silent for a while, but I can't see why it wouldn't make a return because people love those games.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Lovely article, just the kind of closure I need for THQ. The dust has settled and looking back on it now through this article offers a different, a much more relaxed and even sentimental perspective which I like.

Still hoping for a sequel to Space Marine lol.

TylerColp

Sep 16, 2011
Nouw said:
Lovely article, just the kind of closure I need for THQ. The dust has settled and looking back on it now through this article offers a different, a much more relaxed and even sentimental perspective which I like.

That was response I was hoping to get, and thanks for reading it!

Are you saying that I should give Space Marine another try?

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
TylerColp said:
Most attribute it to the company's uDraw GameTablet, a touch-based tablet that interacted with games on Nintendo's Wii, Sony's PlayStation 3, and Microsoft's Xbox 360.
What the hell? This was actually a thing? Did they bother tell anybody about it? I've never heard of it.

It's astonishing how many companies that have no experience in developing computer hardware think they can just make a tablet and it will lead to easy profits because tablets are popular or something. Heck, even Microsoft can't make a successful tablet, and they have significantly more experience in the area than some random game company.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
TylerColp said:
Silentpony said:
There's actually like six Warhammer 40,000 games in the works by various other developers right now; some of them are even RTSs. I don't know about the Dawn of War series though, it might go silent for a while, but I can't see why it wouldn't make a return because people love those games.
There's another Space Hulk game coming out, which is apparently an FPS adaptation of Deathwing. Creative Assembly is making Warhammer Total War, Bloodbowl 2 is in the works, and wasn't there supposed to be another Space Hulk made by that Cyanide Studios team?

Still waiting for Battlefleet Gothic and Dawn of War 3.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
TylerColp said:
Nouw said:

If you enjoy the general mechanics and/or the 40k setting? Yes. It's a pretty gleeful, homicidal romp through 40k. If the space marines bore you, and the combat isn't fun, then no.

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
Make less games that will sell more? Man if you want to follow that rhetoric and thrive you've gotta be Valve or something.

deathmothon

Nov 30, 2013
Nouw said:

Just wanted to agree. I didn't even play many THQ games, but their collapse intrigued me.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
TylerColp said:
Nouw said:

Oh definitely, the core gameplay is tight and incredibly fun. Switching between melee and ranged combat is seamless and the combat itself has a nice flow to it. It really helps that the weapons feel satisfying to use too, not to mention there's also the feeling of your own weight.

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
Good article. Actually answered a lot of questions that a lot of people, including myself, have seemed to be asking lately.

And yet, all I can think about right now is how hyped I just got for the Homeworld re-makes.

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
Living_Brain said:
Make less games that will sell more? Man if you want to follow that rhetoric and thrive you've gotta be Valve or something.
Not fair, and I mostly hate Valve's flagship game Half-Life. Valve made its money through Steam and a few stellar (better than Half-Life) games like Portal and Team Fortress recently. Valve basically, single handedly, revived the PC gaming market.

Frankly, this concept is the one that has been adopted by most triple A game companies. Can they survive if their market finally collapses, after a failure of a COD or BF or other absurdly expensive game? We'll see, as it is going to happen at some point.

That said, THQ lost relevance as a developer some time ago. This shouldn't really be a shock. Companies come and go.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
I was a bid worried about Koch Media buying up so many franchises, but it is clear what has to happen next: An open world 3rd person rampage about a Bavarian milk-farmer that has to set out on a quest to save his favorite cow Matilda.