Dogecoins, Dogewallet Hacked on Christmas

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Dogecoins, Dogewallet Hacked on Christmas

Much coin, such hack. Wow.

Dogecoin, the joke-turned-digital currency and alternative to Bitcoin that comes from the Shiba Inu "doge" meme, owners lost a total of $12,000 in a hack yesterday. The founders of Dogewallet, a storage system for Dogecoin, confirmed that funds were sent to a wallet without users' authorization. The hack targeted the official Dogewallet page, not individual accounts.

The hack was first reported on the Dogewallet. [http://doges.org/index.php/topic,5283.0.html] Dogewallet transactions were sent to "DQT9WcqmUyyccrxQvSrjcFCqRxt8eVBLx8," and the Dogewallet founders found thousands of attempts to break into the system. The hack began from access to the Dogewallet file system and modified the send/receive page. Dogewallet stated on its website:

"We're incredibly sorry to all users who lost funds from the attack. Please use offline wallets as online wallets are meant for new users who aren't using them as a storage of coins. Offline wallets are more safe and secure than any online wallet due to possible attacks that can originate from anyone, anywhere.

If you were affected by this:

All invested user balances will be fully compensated first. We'll be working on compensating as much balance as possible that wasn't invested right after (roughly 15-30m can be compensated immediately). Send me a Reddit message with your information and address if you had an investment (not balance) on the site."

One Dogecoin is valued at roughly $0.00059. Millions of Dogecoins were stolen in unauthorized transfers. Because the new currency has such a low value at the moment, a combined value of about $12,000 was stolen.

Source: The Verge [http://dogewallet.com/]

Eppy (Bored)

Crazed Organist
Jan 7, 2009
...so when did this whole Dogecoin thing become a thing? Because, uh, I missed this one. I am not one to miss such things.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I don't really have any thoughts or feelings about this.

My brain is literally a cloud of 'lulwut'.

I...I'm sorry. Internet. Way way too much internet.

Penguinplayer

Mar 31, 2009
So, Dogecoins, huh?

How long until we start trading Forever Alones for Nyan Cats?

On-topic: That sucks, I hope they find a way to get the hacker and punish him.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
http://i.imgur.com/Koy6hUs.jpg

Much theft, so sadness.

I love dogecoin, it's based off a fucking internet meme and it has as much claim to legitimacy as any other crypto-currency.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Is this a joke? Dogecoin?! Really?

I can understand Bitcoin, I can even get behind the idea. A global digital currency is inevitable in my opinion. But a new currency based on an internet meme is just taking the piss.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
AldUK said:

I can understand Bitcoin, I can even get behind the idea. A global digital currency is inevitable in my opinion. But a new currency based on an internet meme is just taking the piss.
All of this.

This just screams try hard, "hey bitcoin is big at the moment, the latest meme is doge, lets marry the two!". It's like the unpopular kid trying to be popular by making lame things like this.

Look at the value of them, that's a lot of coins to be transferred to total $12k. Nice security system you have there!

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
omega 616 said:
All of this.

This just screams try hard, "hey bitcoin is big at the moment, the latest meme is doge, lets marry the two!". It's like the unpopular kid trying to be popular by making lame things like this.

Look at the value of them, that's a lot of coins to be transferred to total $12k. Nice security system you have there!
It was originally created as a joke to make fun of the bitcoin phenomenon, but then it kind of took on a life of it's own. At it's peak it was worth an estimated $400 per dogecoin, but it quickly dropped in value from there.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Phrozenflame500 said:
Much theft, so sadness.
I've never been so pissed off in all my life. Such Anger.

Many Savings. All Gone.

Wow.

OT: Seriously, though, I had no idea Dogecoins existed.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
how would anybody even offload that many dogecoins without somebody noticing and then finding them

"I would like to purchase one of your finest vehicles, with this large bag of coins with a dog's face on it"

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
AldUK said:

If you don't have your own digital currency and an android-based console in this day and age then you're practically amish. Get with the times![/sarcasm]

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Zombine3D said:
The whole of Escapist needs to get out of their pollitically correct cofmort zone and dive in, head first, into 4chan.
No... we don't. People choose not to visit 4chan for many reasons, being 'politically correct' is very rarely one of them. It's more to do with the fact that anonymous are generally speaking, asshole teenagers who think pictures of dead people and human waste are amusing.

I'll stick to the Escapist, where things are a little more civilised, thank you.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Zombine3D said:
Eppy (Bored) said:
...so when did this whole Dogecoin thing become a thing? Because, uh, I missed this one. I am not one to miss such things.
captcha: frankly my dear,
The whole of Escapist needs to get out of their pollitically correct cofmort zone and dive in, head first, into 4chan.
This has been a thing for quite a while, the dogecoins.
Doge may have originated on 4chan, but Dogecoins are entirely a product of Reddit and their usual habit of crashing any meme straight into the ground.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Penguinplayer said:
How long until we start trading Forever Alones for Nyan Cats?
Soon please, i have a lot of forever alones i am willnig to trade away. I dont want your Nyan Cats though.