Close Enough

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Every time I run into something like this--alien's trying to figure out what humans "looked like"--I cringe at the thought of how screwed up our perceptions of ancient Terran animals probably are.

P.S. The alien archaeologists won't find any information about me on Facebook. I don't have an account and ever since I read that the NSA and CIA and other intelligence agencies consider people "suspicious" if they don't have social media accounts I'm inclined to never acquire such accounts out of sheer spite.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Is that what a velociraptor most likely looked like? That's majorly disappointing yet fucking brilliant.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Hah that's great. Let's hope they find the Voyager Craft first Though we may have collectively gained a few pounds when (if) they finally find us.

nodlimax

Feb 8, 2012
Copper Zen said:
P.S. The alien archeologists won't find any information about me on Facebook. I don't have an account and ever since I read that the NSA and CIA and other intelligence agencies consider people "suspicious" if they don't have social media accounts I'm inclined to never acquire such accounts out of sheer spite.
Welcome to the club of the suspicious people. I don't have social network accounts neither....because I can.

The comic made me smile. But the picture of the female is wrong. The......best.....part is missing ;)

Deadcyde

Jan 11, 2011
I lol'd so much, milk came out of my nose.

Not as much gratuitous cleavage as I expected though.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Duck faces....so many duck faces!!! *curls up and trembles in the corner*

Not even aliens, what will future human civilizations think when they find all our crap? Like what about the humans re-discovering Earth after we've moved off to colonize the stars? What are they going to think of those that used to inhabit the homeworld centuries ago?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Copper Zen said:
I cringe at the thought of how screwed up our perceptions of ancient Terran animals probably are.
Usually when paleontology is "wrong" it's a case of being misportrayed in the media.

ProtoChimp said:
Is that what a velociraptor most likely looked like? That's majorly disappointing yet fucking brilliant.
Jurassic Park played fast and loose a lot, but they REALLY did it with them raptors.

Deadcyde said:
Not as much gratuitous cleavage as I expected though.
Yeah, based on what I've seen on Facebook, you'd think there'd be a lot more boooooooooooooooooooobs.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
That's lucky. If they uncovered that sort of stuff while we were still alive, they'd have no choice but to virus-bomb the planet.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
To be fair, prevailing opinion at the time was that raptors were featherless.

The size can't really be explained though. No excuses there.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Well, I'll be entirely honest here. Those photos are a whole lot more flattering than the usual "selfies" that my brother and sister usually post on the Book of Faces.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Where did they get the chick's legs from?

Or is thighs-down a variety of photo I am unfamiliar with?

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Galaxy Quest got it right.

I expect aliens will intercept our broadcasts of Star Trek, Doctor Who and others, believing we possess the ability to pass through time and space. Also that we're incredibly used to alien attacks based on how many times popular culture has invaded our planet.

Wow, they sure will be disappointed when the screaming and running starts.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
ProtoChimp said:
There are better reconstructions out there. And honestly, I like to think of them as more like the cassowary than a chicken. It's a much more accurate comparison.

It is believed that the dromeosaurs used their wings for balance while they hooked their claws into prey and ripped into their throats with their jaws. That is a fucking awesome image.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
Jurassic Park played fast and loose a lot, but they REALLY did it with them raptors.

The only real mistake is that veliciraptor is a genus, not a species. Deinonychus, the species they used was once to be classified as a velociraptor, and was moved to a different genus (at the time the book came out this was something palaeontologists were still arguing about, so might have been totally out of date by the time the movie came out). The feather thing didn't have solid evidence in the 90s either, a few therapods were known to have feathers, but no velociraptorae until the 21st century.

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
evilthecat said:
To be fair, prevailing opinion at the time was that raptors were featherless.

The size can't really be explained though. No excuses there.
If it weren't for the fact that it wasn't officially discovered and named at about the same time Jurassic Park was released, I feel like they would have modeled the Velociraptors in the movie after the Utahraptor, which actually was about that size. They even tried to name it after Spielberg (Utahraptor Spielbergi) in exchange for funding, though apparently the amount couldn't be agreed upon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utahraptor