Nintendo Is Taking the eShop Offline to Perform Emergency Surgery

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Nintendo Is Taking the eShop Offline to Perform Emergency Surgery

The eShop has been buckling under heavy holiday traffic, but Nintendo is unrolling the duct tape.

The holidays have been wreaking havoc on Nintendo. Since Christmas, players have reported a potpourri of issues, including the inability to set up Nintendo Network IDs or download content from the eShop. The developer even delayed the launch of the Pokémon Bank [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130840-Nintendo-Removes-Pokemon-Bank-From-Japan-3DS-eShop] in order to mollify the problem, but band-aids aren't helping. Today, Nintendo announced that it's puling the eShop offline to do a little surgery.

"We sincerely apologize for the connection problems in the Nintendo eShop," reads a post on Nintendo's Facebook profile. "We understand this is taking longer than expected, but we can assure you that providing a solution is our top priority. We are determined to make sure everyone can enjoy all that Wii U and Nintendo 3DS have to offer. In an effort to manage the high volume of traffic and ultimately improve your experience, we are temporarily taking the Nintendo eShop services offline between the hours of 4 p.m. - 4 a.m. ET. Thank you so much for your continued patience. We will keep you updated."

As frustrating as all of this has been, it means that people are finally giving Nintendo a second chance. Wii Us haven't exactly been flying off of the shelves, but games like Super Mario 3D World, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, and Pikmin 3 are starting to turn things around. Plus, the 3DS continues to crush the competition, and Pokemon titles are being sold by the truckload.

Hopefully, 12 hours is all the time that Nintendo will need to put the eShop's pieces back together. Now is not the best time for customers to be frustrated with their Wii Us.

Source: Facebook [https://www.facebook.com/Nintendo/posts/559932924091165]

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Definitely for the best, I haven't been able to get on the eShop today at-all, though thankfully I don't really need to anyway since Pokemon Bank has been delayed and I already have the second pokemon update.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
I got on the eShop on my Wii U last night and it seemed to work fine...

Input all my codes and downloaded all my downloads...

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
That would explain why I couldn't get on the eshop to save my life last night. I finally got Pokemon X and Y and I was trying to download the updates, but I guess everyone else had the same idea.

I'll try again before the downtime, but I can wait.

[sub][sub]I need my fix man, don't cut me off! D:[/sub][/sub]

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
JoJo said:
Definitely for the best, I haven't been able to get on the eShop today at-all, though thankfully I don't really need to anyway since Pokemon Bank has been delayed and I already have the second pokemon update.
Has anything worthwhile actually hit the eShop lately? Seems like it's been months since anything good came out for it.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
SkarKrow said:
JoJo said:
Has anything worthwhile actually hit the eShop lately? Seems like it's been months since anything good came out for it.
I've not seen anything worth a purchase for a long while, though I don't buy much anyway so that shouldn't be taken as exhaustive...

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
JoJo said:
SkarKrow said:
JoJo said:
I've not seen anything worth a purchase for a long while, though I don't buy much anyway so that shouldn't be taken as exhaustive...
I think a few indie games have started working their way onto the eShop but I can play them a lot cheaper on my PC

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
That would explain why I couldn't get on the eshop to save my life last night. I finally got Pokemon X and Y and I was trying to download the updates, but I guess everyone else had the same idea.

I was to do the same, but I just couldn't wait anymore and started playing without updates, had a great time, and then guess where I saved.

Of course I forgot that Lumiose was the no-no place to save for game corruption, so I really hope that when I get the update before I continue, I can be spared from the horror of having to fight a million bug pokemon again.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Easton Dark said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

I was to do the same, but I just couldn't wait anymore and started playing without updates, had a great time, and then guess where I saved.

Of course I forgot that Lumiose was the no-no place to save for game corruption, so I really hope that when I get the update before I continue, I can be spared from the horror of having to fight a million bug pokemon again.
I was seriously considering doing it anyways since I was in the town next to it, and it's a fairly straight shot over.

I think I debated it for about a few minutes before I decided not to, but that totally sucks though. Fortunately, I was able to get on now and get the update, so maybe you can too before it's closed.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I think I debated it for about a few minutes before I decided not to, but that totally sucks though. Fortunately, I was able to get on now and get the update, so maybe you can too before it's closed.
I could get on, actually. Just got the update, so I really hope it applies and I don't have to do my least favorite part in Pokemon over again. Forests with a water-type starter *shudder*.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Easton Dark said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I could get on, actually. Just got the update, so I really hope it applies and I don't have to do my least favorite part in Pokemon over again. Forests with a water-type starter *shudder*.
Hooray! :D

But damn dude, that would be a level of hell that I wouldn't want to do again. Although, I have a fire type, so I really shouldn't be talking. >.>

I think it completely erases your save, so you will probably have to do it again. God speed in any case. :D