8 Games From EA That Don't Suck

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
At least two of those games were developed before acquisition of the makers (Mass Effect, Wing Commander). In Wing Commander's case, the acquisition was way later (2 years).

schmulki

Oct 10, 2012
Disagree with everything in the past 5+ years. Hell, it's not too much of a stretch to say just about anything in this generation (not a Dragon Age or Mass Effect fan).

No, no matter how you spin it, EA is awful.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
I know hating on EA is popular and all, and I can get that the Escapist staff wants in on that, but there are significantly more EA games than 8 that don't suck.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Generally speaking, EA's games don't suck. It's EA's DRM and other such customer policies that suck. They make good games most of the time. It's really weird to have a company that's so bad at customer relations and budgeting that somehow ends up with a product that is fun if you can get past all the bullshit they put legitimate customers through just to get ot the game they purchased.

Sometimes the policies they have, the money grubbing excess they've adopted to the point of being charged 50 cents for ketchup on a $2.50 hotdog, does enter the game. We saw this a bit in dead space 3 and it surfaces most every time you log into current games. It's just a hassle. But the games themselves? Fun.

Piflik

Feb 25, 2010
Dragon Age 2 the best game of 2011?! I don't even think it should be on any list of games that don't suck...

Small (not exhaustive) list of 2011 games better than DA2:

Venetica
Magicka
Bulletstorm
Portal 2
Brink
Terraria
The Witcher II: Assassin of Kings
Bastion
Deus Ex: HUman Revolution
Dark Souls
Rage
Battlefield 3
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
TESV: Skyrim

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Piflik said:
Dragon Age 2 the best game of 2011?! I don't even think it should be on any list of games that don't suck...

Don't forget Minecraft, a game so amazing hyped it somehow won GotY awards from various publications two years in a row!

P.S. Thanks

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
At least two of those games were developed before acquisition of the makers (Mass Effect, Wing Commander). In Wing Commander's case, the acquisition was way later (2 years).
Add Dark Age of Camelot to that. It was produced by Mythic long before EA ever bought them out. It really was the best MMO I ever played though, by far.

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
There are a tonne of games EA makes that don't suck.

It's the baggage that comes with them (Blatantly cut-out content dlc, micro transactions on AAA priced games, that abortion called Origin, Securom, always online, and other consumer-punishing DRM schemes) that makes their products intolerable to purchase.

That's not to say the recent crop of ea games has been anything above mediocre, but even as an ardent EA-boycotter I admit they can make some decent games from time to time. I'd like to think their recent announcement about wanting to address the reasons they got voted Worst Company in America is genuine, but actions speak louder than words so it's a wait-and-see if they actually improve

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Piflik said:

Venetica
Magicka
Bulletstorm
Portal 2
Brink
Terraria
The Witcher II: Assassin of Kings
Bastion
Deus Ex: HUman Revolution
Dark Souls
Rage
Battlefield 3
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
TESV: Skyrim
Dragon Age 2 was certainly a stinker.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
What a pointless feature. Yes, EA is this sites laughing stock. But to say most of their games suck is just a flat out lie.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Was this really worth the five minutes it took to phone this list in?

EA's problem isn't the games, they've got just as many hits and misses as other publishers. Show me a list of '8 EA business practices that don't suck', then we'll talk.

PcaKes

Jul 8, 2013
EA was without a doubt the best publisher in the 2000-2010 decade. There's a reason why they're the biggest triple A publisher now. Whether or not their games are good NOW, the company has been built on the success it had in the 2000s.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
Dark Age of Camelot came out around 5 years before EA brought Mythic, however it still remains of the very few classic MMOs on the market which STILL gets updated.
So EA has done good with letting it live and survive.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
I don't agree with the list for reasons that others stated. But what has got me scratching my head is that he mentions the mass effect series (with some emphasis on 3), but then only says dragon age 2 instead of the dragon age series. I can't remember if Bioware was acquired by EA for the first game but considering other items on the list that point would be moot.