Notch Squashes Minecraft Wii U Rumors

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Notch Squashes Minecraft Wii U Rumors

Notch says that there are 'No current plans' for Minecraft on Wii U.

Earlier in the week, some rumors cropped up on Tweeted [http://nintendoenthusiast.com/article/minecraft-wii-u/] the developer.

He later admitted through a second Tweet that he agrees a Wii U version would make sense, adding that "the only reason for no current plans is we've got too much work already. I <3 Nintendo." So, Nintendo fans, don't hold your breath, but you can probably go ahead and keep your fingers crossed.

The original Nintendo Enthusiast rumor, which reportedly comes from a high-level insider source at a prominent retailer, said that a Wii U version of the game would make extensive use of the system's gamepad.

Minecraft Lead Designer Jens Bergensten previously commented in March that a Wii U version of the game was "very unlikely."

By the end of 2014, Minecraft will be available on PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, Raspberry Pi, Xbox 360, and soon on PS3, PS4, Vita, and Xbox One.

Source: Game Informer [https://twitter.com/notch/status/416451885650821120]

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
I just had to google what a Raspberry Pi is.

I still don't know what it is.

OT: No Wii U Minecraft! Surprising, it seems like it would be a relatively easy port. Oh wells.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Desert Punk said:
Hey, you're smarter than Google. Much appreciated. That does indeed look impressive.

Slightly odd that it'll get Minecraft before the Wii U. But who am I to judge?

hexFrank202

Mar 21, 2010
I'm sure plenty have already mentioned this, but a game all about management of inventory like Minecraft sure is a perfect match for the Wii U gamepad. A Wii U edition of Minecraft could provide a unique experience, with the freedom to manage your items while still walking and jumping around as you wish.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
This was an interesting story yesterday, too. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130878-Notch-Would-Love-to-See-Minecraft-on-Wii-U]

P.S. Thanks

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Don't worry Nintendo fans, I'm sure it'll be on there one day, it will also be on your calculator and Microwave.

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
Covarr said:
This was an interesting story yesterday, too. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130878-Notch-Would-Love-to-See-Minecraft-on-Wii-U]

P.S. Thanks
My favorite part is that the story got posted twice, with one headline focusing on him wanting to make it, and the other focusing on the fact that it's not getting currently made. It's like a little microcosm of journalistic interpretation.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Haha, that was kind of a dick move to list all the different options it IS available on. That is kind of a perfect example of Nintendo's downfall. Its the only console that could actually make some pretty innovative steps in Minecraft's game play, via the touchpad, and yet its the only one getting ignored. Kinda tells you everything you need to know about Nintendo's future. WII ARE CIRCLING THE DRAIN, U SEE THAT RIGHT?

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Mr.Tea said:
No, it's not odd at all; It's just a PC running Linux.

And since Minecraft already runs on Linux, it automatically runs on that, with zero (additional) support or effort needed from Mojang.
Perhaps not quite zero, but much less than for the Wii U, you're right. You got me.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
I suspect the source was someone at Nintendo going "Gee, I bet we could make money off of getting MindCraft on the WiiU. Lets try and do that." Project never went forward because Nintendo is crazy when it comes to letting 3rd party developers create, so management (at Nintendo) squashed the idea in brainstorming session. Website "found" some internal emails too that effect and got overly excited.

That is my guess as too what happened.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Mr.Tea said:
Caiphus said:
Slightly odd that it'll get Minecraft before the Wii U.
No, it's not odd at all; It's just a PC running Linux.

And since Minecraft already runs on Linux, it automatically runs on that, with zero (additional) support or effort needed from Mojang.
Actually, Minecraft for Raspberry Pi is based on the mobile version and made freely available as a learning tool to get started with programming. I guess you *could* get the normal desktop version running on the Pi, but it wouldn't run very well, as vanilla minecraft isn't optimized for it.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
As someone who just recently got a Wii-U and is enjoying it more than they thought they would, I would really like to see Minecraft on the Wii-U. I'll always prefer it on PC, but I think Minecraft would work well on the Wii-U.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
UltraHammer said:
I'm sure plenty have already mentioned this, but a game all about management of inventory like Minecraft sure is a perfect match for the Wii U gamepad. A Wii U edition of Minecraft could provide a unique experience, with the freedom to manage your items while still walking and jumping around as you wish.
Dont care for the WiiU myself, but I cant help but agree with you. I mean, you might not really need a hotbar to store stuff for quick access. Minecraft WiiU edition would be sweet.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
While I knew the rumor was pretty sketchy and I'm not surprised to see that it was wrong, I'm still kind of disappointed. I'd really love a Wii U version. At least Notch hasn't ruled out that possibility, so maybe when they're done with the XBox One and PS4 versions they can start work on a Wii U version. I can hope, anyway.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
By the end of 2014, Minecraft will be available on PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, Raspberry Pi, Xbox 360, and soon on PS3, PS4, Vita, and Xbox One.
Its already available on PS3, has been since Dec. 17th. thought i'd give you the help files on that ;)

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
What about the 3DS? It seems like it would work well on that too. I mean if it's going to be on the Vita...