Pokemon Bank Still Coming; No More Nintendo Network Outages Expected

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Pokemon Bank Still Coming; No More Nintendo Network Outages Expected

All Nintendo services are fully functional and online after its "one-time surge" that caused service outages.

Nintendo does not expect any further outages like the ones that plagued the Nintendo Network services over the holidays. With so many new Wii U and 3DS users trying to use the network, it crashed in what the company described as a "one-time surge." [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130893-Nintendo-Says-Network-Downtime-Caused-by-One-Time-Surge ] The eShop was taken down and is live once more on all systems as of yesterday.

"We do not anticipate any further outages, but will continue to closely monitor the situation," Nintendo of America tweeted. "We sincerely apologize for this week's inconsistencies and thank you again for your patience and support. We will share more information about the launch of Pokemon Bank and Poke Transporter as soon as possible."

Pokemon Bank was its US and Europe launch was delayed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130840-Nintendo-Removes-Pokemon-Bank-From-Japan-3DS-eShop], now listed as "to be announced." The app was removed and delayed to lessen the strain on the network, and the eShop and Nintendo Network went under emergency maintenance for 12 hours to fix the problem.

It's wonderful for Nintendo that there are so many more adopters of the Wii U and 3DS following the holidays, but holiday surges are to be expected. As Nintendo revealed yesterday, a part of the network's strain was also due to the ability for 3DS users to adopt Nintendo Network IDs to link their eShop accounts on a Wii U and 3DS. Now that existing 3DS users have largely created Nintendo Network IDs, it's likely that we can all relax with our systems and happily access the eShop - something that makes Nintendo just as happy.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica]

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
The surge in Wii U sales in Japan during the holidays was tremendous. Sales went up by 100k units that week. Japan was never really big on consoles though, so I'm pretty sure holiday sales for the Wii U around the world was good too.

I'm still curious to see what that is. Japan released their sales, yet we haven't heard anything from NA or Europe. At the very least the Wii U miiverse is a lot more active.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Dragonbums said:
The surge in Wii U sales in Japan during the holidays was tremendous. Sales went up by 100k units that week. Japan was never really big on consoles though, so I'm pretty sure holiday sales for the Wii U around the world was good too.

I'm still curious to see what that is. Japan released their sales, yet we haven't heard anything from NA or Europe. At the very least the Wii U miiverse is a lot more active.
I think a lot of the traffic is coming from the 3DS. I never really played online with the old DS, but now I'm always online or looking at the shop for more games. I haven't bought a single cartridge for my 3DS.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Baldr said:
Dragonbums said:

I think a lot of the traffic is coming from the 3DS. I never really played online with the old DS, but now I'm always online or looking at the shop for more games. I haven't bought a single cartridge for my 3DS.
I wouldn't discount the Wii U either. In my area they were sold out practically everywhere.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
This is all great news and everything, but I have about half a box left unfilled on Pokémon X. I really need that bank, Nintendo!

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Dragonbums said:
I wouldn't discount the Wii U either. In my area they were sold out practically everywhere.
How many were in your area though, because in mine the Wii U wasn't even touched. I think it was more of the 3DS to be quite honest than the Wii U.

Edit: Just checked out this story and while VGChartz is very...iffy on their numbers, it shows that it definitely wasn't the Wii U that caused the outage, but the 3DS.

OT: This is all nice and good, but if Nintendo doesn't offer that Celebi anymore and the time runs out because of it then I will be very pissed off. >.<

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Neronium said:
Dragonbums said:
How many were in your area though, because in mine the Wii U wasn't even touched. I think it was more of the 3DS to be quite honest than the Wii U.

Edit: Just checked out this story and while VGChartz is very...iffy on their numbers, it shows that it definitely wasn't the Wii U that caused the outage, but the 3DS.

OT: This is all nice and good, but if Nintendo doesn't offer that Celebi anymore and the time runs out because of it then I will be very pissed off. >.<
I wouldn't know. I don't have access to their stocks or anything. However all I know was that Xbox Ones were still very much in stock (there was even a sales rep at the Gamestop after Christmas) and next to no Wii U's or PS4's. I'm pretty sure 3DS's sold more no doubt, however a lot of Wii U's probably got sold at that time too.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Dragonbums said:
I wouldn't know. I don't have access to their stocks or anything. However all I know was that Xbox Ones were still very much in stock (there was even a sales rep at the Gamestop after Christmas) and next to no Wii U's or PS4's. I'm pretty sure 3DS's sold more no doubt, however a lot of Wii U's probably got sold at that time too.
Yeah, but even a boost in Wii U sales, which appears to be about over 100k units for each region definitely isn't what broke the Nintendo Network, or would come close to doing so I'd hope because if that were the case then Nintendo definitely needs to fire their IT people and needs to overhaul their online. Even if they tied both the 3DS and the Wii U together this was at least a wake-up call for Nintendo to improve the system because if anything is to compare it to the PSN network has not only the PS4 connected to it, but also the PS3, PSP, and PS Vita. Even when the PS4 launch the most I ever got was mainly a lot of slowdown that day, please note I don't have a PS4 as of now as I'm waiting. Really I say this wake-up call was definitely needed for Nintendo's IT systems because if Pokemon were to crash it I shutter to think what would have happened if they left the system easily capable of crashing when Smash Bros launches because that one is coming to both the Wii U and the 3DS, while Pokemon was just for the 3DS.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Neronium said:
Dragonbums said:
Yeah, but even a boost in Wii U sales, which appears to be about over 100k units for each region definitely isn't what broke the Nintendo Network, or would come close to doing so I'd hope because if that were the case then Nintendo definitely needs to fire their IT people and needs to overhaul their online. Even if they tied both the 3DS and the Wii U together this was at least a wake-up call for Nintendo to improve the system because if anything is to compare it to the PSN network has not only the PS4 connected to it, but also the PS3, PSP, and PS Vita. Even when the PS4 launch the most I ever got was mainly a lot of slowdown that day, please note I don't have a PS4 as of now as I'm waiting. Really I say this wake-up call was definitely needed for Nintendo's IT systems because if Pokemon were to crash it I shutter to think what would have happened if they left the system easily capable of crashing when Smash Bros launches because that one is coming to both the Wii U and the 3DS, while Pokemon was just for the 3DS.
It's a combination I think between Pokebank, new users both Wii U and 3DS, Link Between Worlds bundle download, e-shop gift cards redeeming( they had a 20% off sale) and the subsequent download of those games, and finally NNID registration. Just too much damn stuff. It was basically the combination of Steam sale esque popularity due to discounted gift cards plus new users rush, and an already huge and excited Pokemon fanbase dogpiling for Pokebank.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Neronium said:
As far as I know, that Celebi is going to be available to anyone who uses the Bank from launch through the end of September. Personally, I'm more concerned with them finally giving us Shaymin. It's been what, two generations and they still haven't done a US event for it?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
ccggenius12 said:
Neronium said:
As far as I know, that Celebi is going to be available to anyone who uses the Bank from launch through the end of September. Personally, I'm more concerned with them finally giving us Shaymin. It's been what, two generations and they still haven't done a US event for it?
Personally I want more Mew events...mainly because I can't find my Pokemon White cartridge that has the old Toys R Us 2004 event Mew on it and that's really the only event Pokemon I can't replace. Well besides the shiny dog trio, but I'm not too upset about that really. Other Legendaries, like Jirachi and Manaphy, I can easily replace because my friend has the Colosseum bonus disc plus I've got the original Pokemon Ranger, and while it is a shame that I seem to have lost my 10th Anniversary Celebi, I can at least replace it with the Pokemon Bank one. Literally the only one that I can't get with hacking is Mew. T^T

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
ccggenius12 said:
Neronium said:
Well there was the one event when Platinum came out to get Sky Form Shaymin. Every legendary so far as been released, though I agree that Shaymin and to a lesser extent Manaphy need to be rereleased as they had no gen 5 events. In general the gen 4 legendary attention is skewed heavily towards Arceus (the most popular Pokemon among kids) and Darkrai. There are also unreleased gen 6 legendaries though, so I hope those come out soon before hackers ruin the surprise any more than they already did.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I was expecting worse.
I was expecting Pokebank working but Pokemon going mysteriously missing.

I am annoyed with what happened (disappointed).
But, I'd rather have no Pokebank for the time being, than data that is valuable and I am affectionate towards being lost/corrupted/whatever.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Honestly no Pokebank hasn't been a problem for me. I've been trading with japanese players and getting plenty of previous gen monsters including starters.