Grab Sleeping Dogs for Free in January From "Games With Gold"

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Grab Sleeping Dogs for Free in January From "Games With Gold"

Sleeping Dogs and Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light will be January's "Games with Gold" freebies.

While Microsoft's "Games with Gold" program for the Xbox 360 update on the official Xbox site [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130072-Microsoft-Unveils-Decembers-Games-with-Gold-Catalog], Microsoft has announced that Sleeping Dogs and Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light will be ringing in the New Year for Xbox 360 users with Xbox Live Gold memberships.

"Sleeping Dogs" ($19.99 ERP): Available from Jan. 1 - 15
"Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light" ($14.99 ERP): Available from Jan. 16 - 31

Released in August 2012, Sleeping Dogs is an open world action game developed by United Front Games and had the player exploring the streets of Hong Kong. You can check out The Escapist's review of the title [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9860-Sleeping-Dogs-Review] where it was awarded 4/5 stars and was called, "A solid open world crime game."

Created by longtime Tomb Raider developers Crystal Dynamics, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light wasn't your typical Tomb Raider game and even the marquee brand was dropped to usher in the reboot for the 2010 downloadable title. It thrust Lara into an action puzzle game with an isometric view and even had a Mayan warrior named Totec as Lara's ally, which is a first for the series. You can catch up to the game by reading our review where we label it as "sensational. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8011-Review-Lara-Croft-and-the-Guardian-of-Light]"

What do you think of January's Games with Gold games and what do you want to see in February?

Source: Xbox.com [http://news.xbox.com/2013/12/games-january-games-with-gold]

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
OMG an actual game thats worth playing on GFG. About god damn time. Sleeping Dogs was my GOTY for 2012.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Is it really free if you need to have a paid subscription in order to get it?

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Cool, I'm on a free trial of Gold right now so I should have time to pick up Sleeping Dogs before it expires. I was potentially interested in the game, but sort of forgot about it, so this is great.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Chaosritter said:
While it's nice to see something from this decade, did it have to be something that DLC-heavy?
None of the DLC pushes the story any further. Mostly just fluff and cosmetic items. The base game with no DLC is still amazing.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
How about Uncharted 2?

Pretty old stuff, but at least they're both good games. Till the Tomb Raider reboot Guardians of Light was the best Lara Croft game in years. And Sleeping Dogs put GTAIV to shame. Hell, it still has better controls than GTAV.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Excellent games, will pick both of them up. It's funny how people keep drawing comparisons to PS+ (not so much this thread actually) when they're fundamentally different. PS+ games require a continued subscription to play, whereas these games are yours to keep if you grab them within the month. And there's a lot of people (myself included) that make the most of free trials of Gold to grab the interesting looking games and skip the rest.

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
I got a silly amount of hours in on Sleeping Dogs pre-DLC. That game is so good and you don't need DLC at all, although I just started playing the ghost story DLC and it's pretty entertaining.

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Another one of those games I want to play but my computer can't seem to handle. I can play for a bit but whenever I try to drive anywhere I crash to a black screen of no return. Sigh, thankfully a new comp is on the horizon so fun times await.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
A game that ISN'T more than three years old...

What....what madness is this?!? Has Microsoft finally realized what a waste of potential Games for Gold has been?

Here's hoping this is a pattern that will continue.

seule

Jul 21, 2008
Yeah, I only have the PS3, but when this came on PSPlus middle of the year I grabbed it. I'm not really a huge open-world sandbox kind of player, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, definitely worth getting. It's why I like this kind of set up for games, if I like the game, great, I played something I wouldn't have otherwise played, if not... I didn't lose anything.

As for the whole psplus v xbox gold... don't really care which is "better", but quality games for next to nothing = good for gamers however you look at it.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Aeshi said:
Depends. If you play multiplayer a fair amount of the time, then yes. Although the PSN version does it better by having more and better games, more often. As well as mad discounts on stuff both during and outside of sales.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Not Bad, Sleeping Dogs is a pretty good game, i've only played the PC port but I assume the 360 version is decent.

I don't know why every time there's a story on GFG all the sony thralls come out of the wood work to be all ...
"hurr this game's older than the internet".

I personally will never pay for XBLG or PS+because the idea of basically paying for what steamworks for free and does better boggles my mind, but still if I was given the option of ..

A) Get an older game when you subscribe
B) Get a newer game when you subscribe, but you only own it for as long as you are still subscribed, essentially holding your free games to ransom

...I'd pick A.

But hey that's just me. As I said wouldn't ever actually get either because Steam. Steam may not give you games for "free"(except when they do). but it's a free service and gives 75% discounts on games that are only a few months old.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
I'm glad to see Sleeping Dogs get some exposure, it was easily my GotY in 2012 and it was sorely under appreciated. Here's hoping this will generate a lot more interest in the franchise so that Square Enix will have United Front start on a sequel.

Dinasis

Dec 28, 2010
To me it's just two more free games. Say what you will about the age of the offerings thus far, but to date the only games I've already owned on disc (or at all) were Gears of War (this and Assassin's Creed, never played beyond the first game), Rainbow Six: Vegas, and Crackdown (which I actually bought for Crackdown). The Games with Gold program has been nothing but a boon to me, as even the switch from disc to download on the three I already owned has value to me.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Aeshi said:
Depends on intention. If you bought the subscription to play online and those games were introduced for free just as an extra - yes. if you bought the gold subscription with intention of getting games with gold - no.
If i am paying for my internet conenction and using it and my ISP suddenly decides to gift me a ipad it would be free (actually to get one i would only need to sign a 3 year contract after current one finishes, sort of "if you use our services and plan to use it for 3 more years heres a free ipad). If you bought the services just because they would give you an ipad then its what your buying.
i sort of used it in this way with headphones here. we had a "buy 30 packs of cofee - recieve headphones free" thing going here. the cofee was cheaper than the headphones themselves. i dont drink coffe, but i bought 60 pakcs just for headphones. i now have 60 packs of cofee sitting in a cupboard. but i got two headphones cheaper than if i were to buy them seperately. and yet in this case the cofee was the "Free" part.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
And then ps+ comes along and announces that its giving its subscribers Brothers,DMC and Bioshock freaking infinite to its US users in January, as well as 3 others for their other systems.

I don't care if I don't "own" them. I still get to play the hell out of them for at least a year for less than the price of a single triple A game.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
About time they finally put something both worth playing and relatively recent on GWG, shame they've picked two games that PS+ already did months ago but still a step in the right direction. I wonder if they'll follow suit with PS+ for the PS4 eventually and give a full XBone game or two away or if they've already spent too much on buying exclusive(ish) rights to Titanfall.