Deadpool, Other Marvel Games, Yanked From Steam, PSN And XBLA

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Deadpool, Other Marvel Games, Yanked From Steam, PSN And XBLA

An expired licensing agreement has seen all games in the Marvel universe removed from their respective digital stores.

Marvel has elected not to renew its licencing agreement with publisher Activision, meaning that all of its games based on Marvel universe characters, including the recently-released Deadpool, have been automatically de-listed from Steam, PSN and Xbox Live. These titles are, of course, still available for purchase in physical format until stock runs out.

The full list of titles affected are: Deadpool, X-Men: The Official Game, X-Men: Destiny, X-Men: Origins - Wolverine, Spider-Man: Edge of Time, Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, Spider-Man: Friend or Foe, and Spider-Man: Web of Shadows. Deadpool, the most recent title, was just released this past June.

You may recall last year that Capcom was also forced to pull its own Twitter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130537-Capcom-Pulls-Marvel-vs-Capcom-From-Digital-Stores].

Amrich did, however, confirm that Beenox's movie tie-in: Amazing Spider-Man is still available, and that Amazing Spider-Man 2 is still on track to be released alongside the movie sequel this year.

This is a very puzzling move from Marvel, and we've reached out to it for comment on the whole situation.

Source: Gamespot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/activision-removes-spider-man-x-men-and-deadpool-games-from-steam-xbox-live-and-psn/1100-6416881/]

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Perhaps it's a move to make the remaining items on the market/the tradeable or giftable subscription licenses more valuable for collectors.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Marvel is owned by Disney now so maybe they are going to let EA publish all of their games as well as make all their Star Wars games.

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
Removing Deadpool from digital distribution is an act of public kindness. I assure you.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Raika said:
Removing Deadpool from digital distribution is an act of public kindness. I assure you.
Saying thus is an act of personal opinion, not fact.

OT: Why do I get the feeling that this is going to enter us into another slippery slope of business practices that everyone will hate and will cause yet another massive tirade against those who distribute games?

(Rhetorical question, really. The answer would be 'pattern recognition', something businesses just don't have.)

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
FalloutJack said:
OT: Why do I get the feeling that this is going to enter us into another slippery slope of business practices that everyone will hate and will cause yet another massive tirade against those who distribute games?

(Rhetorical question, really. The answer would be 'pattern recognition', something businesses just don't have.)
Not to mention how self-destructive it is to the franchise and involved companies in certain cases? Yeah, this is just another example of outdated business practice that has little logic to it anymore.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Gizmo1990 said:
Or maybe the head of Marvel/Disney is a gamer and they are tired of having to use fucking Uplay because I know I am.
Wait, what? How does Activision losing their Marvel license at all involve Ubisoft's uPlay system?

rhizhim said:
why havent we had a relatively good marvel game in decades?
We did get one just a few months ago: LEGO Marvel. Aside from that, I'm not sure. Poor choices made with choosing who to license to?

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Raika said:
I like Deadpool but I agree, that game was awful.

This situation is really odd, honestly I can't help but be a little optimistic. Maybe Marvel is reevaluating their games strategy, I can't say I've truly enjoyed any Marvel game that has come out in the last few years. Perhaps they'll return with some promising announcements.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
wow, i guess im lucky to get it pretty much when it came out after watching angry joes review about it.
sure not the best game on earth but still fun(ny) in some way that i played it twice.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
to be completely honest, Activision is still Activision and not letting Activision make any other games based on Marvel's license is a good move by Marvel. Because Activision is Activision.

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
FalloutJack said:
Raika said:
Saying thus is an act of personal opinion, not fact.
Really.. That shocks me. Next you're going to tell me that the sky is blue. God forbid the Pope might be Catholic.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
It really sucks that all these Marvel titles are getting taken off like this. Makes me wonder if Marvel is gonna make games through Disney Interactive. I'd like to call this a good step into a new direction but the fact that a lot of people are gonna be cheated out of some good games like Marvel vs Capcom is not helping their cause.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Of course they did. Now that the average person gives a fuck about Marvel properties and not just us comic readers, they want to ensure quality. To be honest, there is absolutely no harm in those games being available. If I had to place bets, not too many folks were buying them at this point anyway though. I just hope it's a move that is going to be positive for gamers and fans. We'll see though.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
So now some games I'd considered playing are now no longer available in digital space?.

Digital distribution really is the future, I'm sure I'll totally enjoy this happening in the future.