Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes Will Be a "Tutorial" For The Phantom Pain

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes Will Be a "Tutorial" For The Phantom Pain

According to series creator Hideo Kojima, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain will be "hundreds of times larger" than Ground Zeroes.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, for all intents and purposes, is being marketed as a tiny slice of the Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Just how tiny, however, may surprise gamers still on the fence about whether or not to invest in Ground Zeroes.

According to a recently translated Tweet by series honcho Hideo Kojima, Ground Zeroes will serve as "both a prologue to the MGSV story and, at the same time, a tutorial for a new MGS." In turn, fans can expect Ground Zeroes to have a "relatively small field as compared to the main game" which he described as being "hundreds of times larger." Ground Zeroes will apparently also lack "time zones changing in real-time" like The Phantom Pain, though each mission in the game will "[offer] different time zones with different playstyles."

While, at this point, we're going to assume he might be exaggerating a bit on The Phantom Pain being "hundreds of times" larger than Ground Zeroes, this claim does leave us questioning a few things. Namely, if Ground Zeroes is really a "tutorial" and so much smaller than the main game, why not just include it as a literal prologue in The Phantom Pain itself, rather than selling it as a separate entity? Mayhap it has something to do with wringing another <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130345-MGS-V-Ground-Zeroes-Dated-Xbox-Exclusive-Mission-Revealed>$20-30 out of fans, but that's probably just us being cynical. Ground Zeroes is set to release on <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129298-Metal-Gear-Solid-5-Ground-Zeroes-Will-Sneak-up-on-You-Spring-2014>March 18th.

Source: Siliconera

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I think it is getting a few extra pounds out of the fans. They could have added it with the original game or as a demo release for free. Granted we dont know how big Ground Zeroes is, it could be well worth the cost. I guess we will have to see when more info is released.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
SecondPrize said:
So I can just skip ground zeroes then and wait for the real deal? Thanks Hideo.
No, as Ground Zeroes seems to be also very important in the story-aspects. Unless you're also the kind of person that skips the first 50 minutes of a two-hour-movie...

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
StewShearer said:
While, at this point, we're going to assume he might be exaggerating a bit on The Phantom Pain being "hundreds of times" larger than Ground Zeroes, this claim does leave us questioning a few things. Namely, if Ground Zeroes is really a "tutorial" and so much smaller than the main game, why not just include it as a literal prologue in The Phantom Pain itself, rather than selling it as a separate entity? Mayhap it has something to do with wringing another <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130345-MGS-V-Ground-Zeroes-Dated-Xbox-Exclusive-Mission-Revealed>$20-30 out of fans, but that's probably just us being cynical.
I do remember Kojima giving the reason of "The full game is going to take forever to come out, so I just want to give people something to chew on while biding their time," so it's just a teaser to build up hype for a repeatedly delayed game, because it has been so repeatedly delayed. Yup, sounds like typical AAA game BS.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Bindal said:
SecondPrize said:
So I can just skip ground zeroes then and wait for the real deal? Thanks Hideo.
No, as Ground Zeroes seems to be also very important in the story-aspects. Unless you're also the kind of person that skips the first 50 minutes of a two-hour-movie...
If only there were some other way to find out the story highlights...

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Ehh, shitty PR. But I am still gonna buy it. I love me some Metal Gear, unconditionally.

I am like an abused spouse.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Either one is a microscopic demo, incredibly overpriced... or the other is an MMO world with nearly no actual content in it?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
With this information I think I'll probably skip this one, its not really because of the word "tutorial", its more about the content they revealed here. Its seems like its some fixed missions in a small area (probably already saw everything from the videos since they all take place in the same area), the lack of time zones advancing in real time also really hurt the idea of it being a sandbox experience like the PP wants to be.

Apr 28, 2008
Yeah he's probably trying to drive everyone away. God knows he's sick to death of making these damn games. Probably hoping if he drives everyone away they'll not buy it and he can finally do something else.

Can't say I blame him, really.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
Not good wording. Considering we've just come out of a year were there's been games that come out as a pay to play beta, this is not very good. Not a fan of the series, but something like that is problematic at least and outright abuse at most.