Xbox One Bug Prevents Comcast Subscribers From Using Wi-Fi

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
Xbox One Bug Prevents Comcast Subscribers From Using Wi-Fi

A very specific subset of Xbox One owners are having serious connection problems.

Some Xbox One-owning Comcast subscribers have been experiencing a bug that prevents them from playing games online via wi-fi. Comcast and Xbox, who both addressed the issue in their community forums this morning, are working together to fix the issue.

Described by Comcast as a "jointly identified as a MSFT [Microsoft] bug," the problem stems from conflict between the Xbox One software and networks using a IPv6 address. The issue may be triggered by a "firewall setting that can cause MTU, Live Connection Error or Can't Access the Internet errors." according to one Xbox customer service rep [http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/networking-hardware/01-modems-gateways/arris/f/3151/t/443344.aspx]. That's apparently a problem for customers who have an Arris TG862G Wireless Gateway, one of the routers provided by Comcast. Despite the seemingly systemic explanation, Comcast describes the problem as "hit or miss," and claims the problem only affects "some games."

Comcast seems confident that the bug is relatively minor and will be fixed sooner rather than later. "We anticipate that Microsoft will release a software update after the holidays that will resolve this issue." For now, Comcast is recommending afflicted users connect their consoles using an ethernet cable.

Source: Polygon [http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28891125-WiFi-Xbox-One-Service-Advisory]

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
So if I read that correctly.... MICROSOFT of all people FORGOT to put in 6 to 4 translation protocols into the Xbox One? Umm they put that stuff into Windows XP SP3, how could they forget to put it into their BRAND NEW shiny tech? Especially since we ran out of IPv4 addresses back in October of 2010... I mean really folks.... COME ON!!!

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
MinionJoe said:
Well, it's a good thing that consoles are all standardized so that customers don't have to worry about configuration issues like this, ey?

Still, all snarkiness aside, I wonder if Comcast customers had any problems playing any online multiplayer games with the 360.
Well, they're using Comcast, so yes, they did.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
MorganL4 said:
So if I read that correctly.... MICROSOFT of all people FORGOT to put in 6 to 4 translation protocols into the Xbox One? Umm they put that stuff into Windows XP SP3, how could they forget to put it into their BRAND NEW shiny tech? Especially since we ran out of IPv4 addresses back in October of 2010... I mean really folks.... COME ON!!!
im sorry but what I got from this article is that Comcast as always sucks and thus is blaming Microsoft for their stupidity.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
MinionJoe said:
Well, it's a good thing that consoles are all standardized so that customers don't have to worry about configuration issues like this, ey?

Still, all snarkiness aside, I wonder if Comcast customers had any problems playing any online multiplayer games with the 360.
I never did while I still had one.

OT: Holy shit the Xbone just keeps getting worse and worse. I feel sorry for those poor folks that got it.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
OP:"That's apparently a problem for customers who have an Arris TG862G Wireless Gateway, one of the routers provided by Comcast." This is why I don't use the crap routers and APs provided by Comcast or any other company. They're dirt cheap and Comcast charges you a $50 fee to use the wifi built into some of them. The cable modems are usually alright, but we had one cable box got out and another is starting to act funny. You can't just get a new cable box in the store or download firmware updates for the routers provided by Comcast.

Also, everyone who can should be using an ethernet cable anyway. Even the latest wireless connections can get knocked out by random crap. I set up Cat6 ports around my house and only use wifi on things that move a lot or don't have a port.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
"It's not a bug! It's a feature!" - Microsoft

Just you wait. It's coming.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Y'know, the reason I operate my own router is so I can avoid shit like this. I only use my ISP's router as authentication because they won't let my buy my own standalone modem and connect that way.
I've run into problems many times with certain games due to shitty modems or routers PROVIDED BY THE ISP. Unfortunately this issue probably affects customers who know little-to-notadamnthing about networking and WAN setup.
But of course the blame goes to Microsoft because they're an easy target.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MinionJoe said:
This is why I will never buy a PC. Too many prob...Oops.

vxicepickxv said:
Well, they're using Comcast, so yes, they did.
I'd throw in a rimshot, but that's not so much a joke.

Infernal Lawyer said:
But will they explain why? Of course not, that would be silly.
They're convincing a sizable chunk of the population to not buy an Xbone. There should be an award for that.

cursedseishi said:
Fun little fact. Least from what I've observed, and despite being on 'cable' internet that is in no way connected to the phones, whenever anyone calls the landline set up through comcast as well, the internet goes to crap and cuts out. Without fail. Every time.
I wasn't aware Comcast did telephone service that wasn't VOIP. However, if they do, this sounds like electrical interference. It can happen with any electrical device, but is more common with heavier loads and/or older devices. This may not be Comcast's fault but very likely is. I'm going off the top of my head and I'm a little out of practice, but electrical interference can and will screw up the signal. And it's hard to track down and costly for them to fix the problem, so don't count on them doing it.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Cecilthedarkknight_234 said:
I don't think it's so much as a bug as that xbox live doesn't want to connect to a s***** isp service.
Why not? They're both ran by over sized corporations that don't care about their customers and try to ram ridiculous policies and prices down their throats. They're made for each other.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
I never do any online gaming on a wireless network. That's a recipe for getting your ass handed to you due to connection issues. This just reinforces my clear superiority.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
It's things like this that actually make me a bit glad that Comcast has been ousted in my county and actually can't set anything up here. Down here all the ISPs are either AT&T, Cox Digital, or the occasional Roadrunner, and that's because contracts that were written up pretty much stop outside ISPs that haven't been set up here in the last 20 from setting it. It's why Google Fibre can never come to southern California...

cursedseishi said:
Though to be fair, this reminds me back when the Dreamcast came out, and AOL had issues with it. Namely, AOL got pissy over Sega's included 'browser' program and decided that if Sega was going to make their own browser, than they'd refuse service to anyone owning a Dreamcast and wanting to go online with it. Sure you could go online normally through a computer, but if you wanted to play Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast with AOL? Shit outta luck.

So... Uh, Comcast has that at least...
Wow, really? So AOL, the once big giant, feared a gaming company that was pretty much heading out of the console industry? That's quite sad really.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Good to know that if I ever had any interest in buying the Xbox ONE, my wifi wouldn't work for it anyway due to me having Comcast.

What the actual fuck Microsoft. How do you even fuck up wifi? I mean, don't you make DAMN COMPUTERS. Holy fucking Christ.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
ecoho said:
MorganL4 said:
im sorry but what I got from this article is that Comcast as always sucks and thus is blaming Microsoft for their stupidity.
You kidding me? Comcast internet in my area is a fucking godsend. We have a very high bandwidth cap.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Dragonbums said:
ecoho said:
MorganL4 said:
You kidding me? Comcast internet in my area is a fucking godsend. We have a very high bandwidth cap.
someone who likes Comcast? that's a first. In all seriousness Comcast has horrible customer support and tends to crash way too often, if its all you got im sorry but you'd be better off with just about anyone.