Team Fortress 2 Gets King of the Hill

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Team Fortress 2 Gets King of the Hill

Team Fortress 2's Classless Update won't just bring more hats to Valve's beloved team-based shooter - it'll have new maps and modes too, like the freshly revealed King of the Hill.

Team Fortress 2 will add a standard of multiplayer FPS gaming to its offerings when the Classless Update [http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/english.htm] drops in with a new game mode, King of the Hill. You've played in every other shooter out there, but hey, why not play it in TF2 as well.

Here's how KotH, as the TF2 team is calling it, works in Valve's shooter: a KotH map has a single capture point which needs to be held for three minutes. The point is locked for the a short interval at the beginning of a round, and then becomes free for the taking. Once a team captures the point, a timer will start ticking down the three minutes. If the team gets booted off the point, the timer freezes and the other team's starts up. So as you can see, it's a contest to see who can hold a single point for as long as possible. A contest to see who is the...king of the hill.

KotH will debut alongside a new map, Viaduct, which is designed specifically for the mode. The map takes place on a snowy hill, at the peak of which is the capture point. This is about as literal an interpretation of the king of the hill idea gets, folks. In addition to Viaduct, two old maps are being converted for KotH play, Nucleus and Sawmill.

So there: fancy new hats [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93826-Team-Fortress-2-Classless-Update-Now-With-Hats], fancy new modes, fancy new maps. What more could a TF2 fan wish for?

Dan Shive

Jun 9, 2008
I look forward to trying it out, and yet I can't help but worry that the engineer's usefulness will be fairly limited in KotH. I have trouble picturing any buildings close to the capture point surviving for long if there's only one point to capture.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
KotH will be heavy/medic combo dominated. No others will come close to competing.

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
Also some arena maps are getting this treatment as well if Valve is to be believed.
The follow up announcement they made about Viaduct not being the first map to feature snow. The poor employees, getting booted into space, bludgeoned to bits by a crack security team. Oh dear.

Jay Cee

Nov 27, 2008
I play TF2 on my Macbook using Boot camp.

The trackpad is near impossible to use for precision aiming.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
JimmyBassatti said:
obisean said:
KotH will be heavy/medic combo dominated. No others will come close to competing.
What about Spies, Snipers, Scouts, Demomen, Soldiers, Pyros, even Engineers and Medics? The only way a team can win is if they stick together, and work as a team, not who has a team full of Medic/Heavy combos.
Sure if you wanted to take the center. But the idea of king of the hill is to hold it.

Aug 13, 2009
im liking the idea of a King of the hill game type, but wouldnt it drag on if two balanced teams kept taking back the point from each other every minute or so?

Zayren

Dec 5, 2008
This update is pretty classy with kings and hat towers...

It looks like Soldiers will be dominating king of the hill, since two of the maps they've shown so far, Nucleus and Sawmill (?) have the hill surrounded by death traps. Just get a rocket beneath someone's feet, and they fall off or into a sawblade, and if they just stand there the next rocket will kill them.

Captain of the Failboat said:
im liking the idea of a King of the hill game type, but wouldnt it drag on if two balanced teams kept taking back the point from each other every minute or so?
Nah, the longest the game can go on for is like six minutes. You need three minutes of holding it to win, but it's cumulative, so if your team loses the point, your time doesn't reset.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
Why would I use my sandvich and make myself an easy target (as you describe it)? I would do as much damage as I could to you, and let my team finish you off. Like you say, this is a team game. I'm not saying that the rest of the classes are useless, just that Heavy/Medic will be by far the best combo in this. Engineer would have ruled it if not for the fact that they will almost never get most of their turrets past level 2 if they are lucky.