Here Comes 2014

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Here Comes 2014

2014 has only just arrived, and already feels like a year that movie history is gearing up to overlook. Nonetheless, 2014 is here for now and contains a good number of releases that at least have my interest piqued.

Read Full Article

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Going by this list, 2014 is going to be boring, but i'll wait for Mark Kermodes list before i pass judgment, he usually finds some of the niche stuff that makes me a bit more excited about the coming year. Can't say i'm looking forward to 2015 either if that's the best it has to offer. Luckily movies like Saving Mr Banks, American Hustle and other oscar contenders from 2013 won't arrive in danisj cinemas until February-March, so there will atleast be some stuff to watch. Aside from those, i don't really know what to look forward to, X-men looks pretty cool and Robocop is going to be awful, but it might be fun to watch it fail.

Usually i don't really follow upcoming movies in the beginning of the year, i'm often more occupied catching up with the previous year and it looks like this year will be the same, cause fuck you it's january! Featuring a movie with Vince Vaughn and yet another Paranormal Activity movie. I'll be headed for the Art Cinema (A smaller cinema in my town that shows indie movies, acclaimed dramas and stuff) until february i think. Just needs to see The Wolf On Wall Street as soon as possible.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Neither 2014 or 2015 look to be interesting to me. I used to look forward to the comic book adaptation movies, but now I avoid them and with more and more movies becoming a paint by numbers experience I can normally guess what is going to happen in the movie before I watch it.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
no more Shia LaBeouf, a promise to be "less goofy" from Michael Bay...
Ok, might be interesting.
...The freakin' DINOBOTS
Aaaaand, you lost me there, Bob.

Sorry, but "less goofy" doesn't sit well with the Dinobots concept in the same phrase. At this point I would rather take a) A movie that drops the Dinobots (or any other series exclusively made to sell toys on top of all the other series exclusively made to sell toys built on top of 3 movies) entirely, or b) Micheal Bay fully embracing goofy, just not his version of goofy. His is just bad.

vid87

May 17, 2010
For the sake of playing Devil's Advocate, here's my prediction:

2015 is the year we realize 2014 was a surprising watershed in pop-culture as "Lego" proves insightful and moving, "Transformers," "Robocop," "Ninja Turtles," and "Spiderman 2" reinvigorate their respective franchises with bold ideas and stunning character turns, "Welcome to Yesterday" and "X-Men" turn their respective directors into superstars, "Intersteller" wins Academy Award for best picture, and "Guardians" gets annihilated at the box office by "50 Shades of Grey" (coming out around the same time, I think even the same day!), signaling the end of the Marvel juggernaut as Avengers 2 and (the honestly weirdly timed) Ant-Man fail to meet predictions and implode under their hype and budget and sex-focused women's films, led by the "50 Shades" sequels, become the new gold standard.

Of course, I could be wrong...

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
Yeah, I feel like this year is going to be a really weak year for blockbusters. From this list, only the new X-men movie and Godzilla excite me. Luckily there seem to be a good handful of interesting "smaller" movies coming into theaters this year, so all hope is not lost.

I'm not really sure what to think about the Interstellar yet. The Inception was very disappointing and so was The Dark Knight Rises, so I'm interested to see if Nolan's next film works better (hopefully there is less mind numbing exposition than in Inception).

EDIT: Oh, and the Robocop trailer looked awful! Ughh!

Ace Morologist

Apr 25, 2013
I have no idea why anyone would be excited about Guardians of the Galaxy. This feels like an Emperor's New Clothes situation here. I mean, you all saw how freaking ridiculous Benecio del Toro looked at the end of Thor: The Dark World. A whole movie of that crap isn't going to be Farscape, it's going to be awful.

--Morology!

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
I know it's not the final movie poster, but let us not forget that Marvel did give us an official 'almost finalized' concept art photo for Guardians:

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Some of those could be interesting. I've never heard about the lego movie but your description begs the question, is there some advantage to using cgi to recreate stop motion over just using stop motion? Also, while I am willing to concede theoretically that it is possible to not have liked Monsters, how the hell can you not like monsters?

RTK1576

Aug 4, 2009
I'm adding How To Train Your Dragon 2 to the mix. I really enjoyed the first one, and the trailers for the sequel look promising. Call me cautiously optimistic.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
For the sake of argument, I'm gonna break down my opinion of the upcoming 2014 movies into brackets. Some of these I'll see in theaters, some I'll wait until DVD/Blu-ray, a couple I'm praying they don't suck, and there are those that make me want to run screaming for the foot hills. Depending on what news comes down the pipe, this list is subject to change. Also, there are some movies Bob missed like Hobbit: There and Back Again so there are definitely many other movies coming this year that need a full inspection.

Must Watch List: The Lego Movie, Muppets Most Wanted, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Godzilla, X-Men: Days of Future Past, and Guardians of the Galaxy.

I feel very positive about Lego Movie, Captain America 2, and Muppets Most Wanted. The ones on this list I have some concerns about are Godzilla, Days of Future Past, and Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm hoping the King of the Monsters makes a comeback with this new version but, then again, anything has to be better than the 1998 abomination. X-Men:DoFP is hard to judge with only a teaser trailer. I'm praying it will be as good as First Class and not another Last Stand. Guardians of the Galaxy is definitely one of Marvel Studios biggest gambles but I'm game for a sci-fi action/comedy made by James Gunn.

Approach with Caution List: Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

I wasn't too keen on the rebooted Spider-Man movie, mostly due to the mistakes it made during its production. I want to feel good about this but the fact that its got 3 villains in the movie along with signs its leading to a Sinister Six event and the claims Sony is making spin-offs to expand the Spidey universe, this feels like its putting all its eggs in one basket. TMNT would be fine if it wasn't produced by Bay's Platinum Dunes, the suspicious leaked script abusing the cannon, and its casting choices. I so want this to NOT be another Transformers fiasco but I get the nagging feeling that this will be another reason for me to beat Michael Bay senseless with a cricket bat.

Wait until Netflix or RedBox List: RAZE, The Monuments Men, Noah, Jupiter Ascending, The Green Inferno, and Interstellar.

Some of these movies I've barely heard of, so I can't make a full judgement on them. I would need more info in order to make the leap to pay for a full price ticket and, assuming, my local theaters will play them. I'd like to go see Jupiter Ascending and Interstellar in theaters but, so far, none of them seem to tickle my fancy like Inception did. But we shall see.

Avoid like the Plague List: Robocop, 300: Rise of an Empire, and Transformers: Age of Extinction.

The first one is pretty obvious. Unless it has something new to offer in terms of story, the Robocop remake looks like another nostalgia cash grab that fails to live up to the original like the Total Recall and Carrie remakes. 300: Rise of the Empire can be summed up in 4 words; too little, too late. If this was made a year or two after 300 hit big, then maybe. But, given that its been 8 years since the first one, Zack Snyder is not at the helm, and anything associated with Frank Miller is treated with disdain due to his increasingly infuriating antics, this is one sequel that should have never been given the green light. As for Transformers 4, I have been burned too many times by Bay to waste my time and money. Part 1 was ok, but seeing it again makes its flaws that more irritating. Part 2 was too painful to endure and I passed on part 3 entirely. It may be boasting a new cast, new direction, Dinobots, and so on, but its being run by the same pack of mental midgets that wiped their asses with the last 3 entries. Unless the director and writers come to my doorstep and commit seppuku on my front lawn to atone for their past sins, this is one franchise I want to see go back into cold storage.

So hears hoping we get a good batch of movies in 2014.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
The only thing I wait for in this list is Interstellar, and that's mainly because I'm Chris Nolan's fanboy, Memento and Inception are still on my top 5 movie list of all time. I guess, I'll go see the new Captain America and other Avengers related movies, because they'll probably be fun as always. The rest - meh. Either not my cup of coffee, or scream "CRAP" from a mile (Robocop, TMNT, Godzilla), or sound and look completely retarded (I'm sorry, but no matter how much I like Aronofsky, the trailer for Noah is effing ridiculous).

Oh well, at least I won't spend much money on the cinema this year.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
SecondPrize said:
Is there some advantage to using cgi to recreate stop motion over just using stop motion?
You can have things flying around and falling to pieces more easily. If you find out something's wrong with one of the images you can just fix it instead of having to find and perhaps rebuild the Lego. I imagine it's also quicker to change the faces in CG.

N_of_the_dead

Apr 2, 2008
I am looking forward to a lot of those movies most of all Godzilla on the hopes that the US can make a movie with a monster rampaging and not it being a movie about how the US is so bad ass even giant monsters should beware.

That TMNT movie is a no go for me though, love the turtles but damn it I don't feel like paying money for Bay to shit on my childhood.

Can't understand some of the hate for Guardians, Marvel is testing waters for other things beyond avengers and people complain about them trying when they also complain about people playing it safe too. So far they can expect at least one viewing (if not two) from me when it comes out.

The Real Sandman

Oct 12, 2009
Most of those sound neat, but...

Why yes, I am a Wes Anderson fan.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
No "The Raid 2"??

I thought you liked the Raid: Redemption and the second one looks almost... even better...

That's the one I'm waiting to see!!
And a few others of course :p

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Guffe said:
No "The Raid 2"??

I thought you liked the Raid: Redemption and the second one looks almost... even better...

That's the one I'm waiting to see!!
And a few others of course :p
+1 for the Raid: Berandal. I'm on the hype train for this one and there is no getting off :p. 17 individual fight scenes over 148 minutes with a bigger cast and more than one location. As someone on IGN pointes out, The Raid : Redemption was Arkham Asylum and the new one is Arkham City. I honestly can't wait.