Titanfall to Have Multiple Controller Layouts, Respawn Confirms

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Titanfall to Have Multiple Controller Layouts, Respawn Confirms

Titanfall includes Halo's "Bumper Jumper" controller layout, and other button configurations.

In news that should please shooter fans, Respawn Entertainment has confirmed that Titanfall will support multiple controller layouts. This was confirmed by Respawn developer "scriptacus" over on the official Titanfall forums [http://www.respawn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3139] , where he also confirmed an alternate controller method wherein jumping can be initiated by pressing the Xbox One controller's bumper.

There is a layout with melee and crouch swapped, as well as a variant that allows for jumping on a bumper. (my personal favorite, as it allows you to use the "look" stick while jumping)

More than one controller layout confirmed!

Jumping using the bumper on the Xbox controllers should be familiar to Halo players and is commonly known as the "Bumper Jumper" layout; while switching the melee and crouch buttons is something Call of Duty and Battlefield fans should be accustomed to. For reference, the default Titanfall control scheme can be seen in the image above, and is very similar to Call of Duty's control layout -- which shouldn't be surprising, since Respawn is comprised of former staff members from Call of Duty developers, Infinity Ward.

In other Titanfall news, it has been confirmed by Respawn that quick-scoping and no-scoping sniper rifles will be "ineffective" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130915-Titanfalls-Quick-Scoping-and-No-Scoping-Sniping-to-Be-Ineffective-Respawn-Says] in the game.

Published by EA, Titanfall will hit retail on March 11 for the Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC.

Source: MP1st [http://stickskills.com/2014/01/03/titanfall-support-bumper-jumper-tactical-controller-layouts/]

DemikidZA

Jul 4, 2011
Aren't changeable control schemes rather common? Why should it be news worthy if it's been done by so many games? It's like an FPS developer saying that there will be a crosshair in game

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
DemikidZA said:
Aren't changeable control schemes rather common? Why should it be news worthy if it's been done by so many games? It's like an FPS developer saying that there will be a crosshair in game
But will there be multiple crosshair patterns to choose from? I prefer circle with dot.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
To be fair multiple control layouts have been around for years...my games on ps1 used to have multiple control layouts. It's something I expect anyway from games.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Fully customizable buttons would be kinda sorta rare enough to be news worthy but picking from different presets has been a thing forever. Nothing else remarkable about titanfall eh?

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Truly this is the next generation of gaming! I mean who would of ever for saw such a thing as being able to choose from a selection of preconfigured controller layouts! What next being able to bind our own custom controller lay outs maybe next next gen!

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
The games that came with my Xbox 2 console generations ago all had this capability as standard. It was almost certainly available in earlier consoles way before that, WHY IS THIS CONSIDERED NEWS?!?

synobal said:
Truly this is the next generation of gaming! I mean who would of ever for saw such a thing as being able to choose from a selection of preconfigured controller layouts! What next being able to bind our own custom controller lay outs maybe next next gen!
It's only possible on the new hardware you see, the old obsolete consoles couldn't handle anything nearly as complex as this!

Titanfall will also include a free description of the videogame on the back of the box, complete with some small gameplay pictures, and through manipulation of the unique Kinect attachment I can confirm that the game will include action sounds and noises that correspond with what is happening on the screen in real time

There is also the ability to connect to the internet over Xbox One's... unique... internet... thing, and you can play with or against your friends, even if they are in another city, or even another country, or another continent! Of course you can't play someone sitting next to you on the same console, that would just be mad!

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
the fact this is news is frightening. is it too hard of these multi-million dollar development houses to allow the End user to customize their own control scheme?

What's next? Titanfall PC to allow for users to remap their keys? O the wonders of technology!

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
I don't really understand why a forum post about something that's been standard in video games for over a decade is news.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
So the actual news here is "We just don't understand how control rebinds work, sorry guys."
Next gen gaming really pushing the innovation yet again, couple more generations and we might even get a full options menu as standard.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Looks like someone mistook random nothingness for a News Story.

Did they announce an options menu where you change the brightness too?