Halo on Xbox One Definitely Set for Release in 2014

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Halo on Xbox One Definitely Set for Release in 2014

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/RobSemsey/status/420252431105003521]

According to senior PR manager Rob Semsey, the Xbox One's Halo "journey WILL begin in 2014."

If there is one franchise that Microsoft and the Xbox brand can call their own, it's definitely Halo. Sure, the system has other exclusives but Master Chief and his ilk hold an iconic status arguably unique among the Xbox library. That in mind, Xbox One owners might have been disappointed to discover that a list of 2014 releases for the console included no mention of the series, despite earlier indications that a new game was <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/7452-Halo-Xbox-One-E3-Teaser-Trailer>due for this year.

If recent comments by senior PR manager Rob Semsey can be believed however, 2014 will still be a good year for fans of the franchise. Following the release of the list <a href=http://news.xbox.com/2014/01/xbox-one-january-thank-you>by Xbox Wire, Semsey took to Twitter to ease potential fears. "Xbox Wire today mentioned a few 2014 titles; Halo on Xbox One not listed due to official name of the next title not announced yet," <a href=https://twitter.com/RobSemsey/status/420252354764480512>he said. Continuing in a <a href=https://twitter.com/RobSemsey/status/420252431105003521>second Tweet he affirmed that a new Halo game was, in fact, in the works. "Rest assured your next Halo journey WILL begin in 2014.

Now call us crazy, but when one of the guys in charge of representing the franchise assures the world that a new Halo is coming out in 2014, we're inclined to believe him. The clear question that remains however, is when? Seeing as we're already entering the first quarter of the year and have yet to be given more solid details, you can probably rule out the first half of 2014. That said, there's still plenty of time for Microsoft to unveil and the prepare for a holiday release, which is where I'd personally place my bets.

Source: VG247

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Now, I'm not up to date with the plot of Halo but didn't master chief kind of go deadsies in one the halo games? Helmet left in a desert or something? Where can a series go without it's Mario?

Is this still a super big series? I feel like it's not but I'm not an xbox customer.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
It is really unfortunate that I could so uninterested in the next Halo game. I love the franchise as a whole, but after the total mess that was Halo 4(as far as multiplayer is concerned) I just can't get excited. The seemingly rushed nature of X1 Halo has me even less excited. Though the positive side of me is hoping they are rushing to win back the fans and going back to the roots of the franchise.

It also doesn't help that Halo is really the only series that I care about on the xbox and I don't plan on getting any consoles for just one series. So unless an X1 just falls into my lap I probably won't be playing it anyways. :(

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
omega 616 said:
Now, I'm not up to date with the plot of Halo but didn't master chief kind of go deadsies in one the halo games? Helmet left in a desert or something? Where can a series go without it's Mario?

Is this still a super big series? I feel like it's not but I'm not an xbox customer.
That was Noble Six from Halo: Reach. Bungie could have (and really should have) done that at the end of 3, with him on ice floating endlessly through space, but of course Microsoft wouldn't let that fly, what with Halo being the cash cow that it is.

OT: Honestly, I've lost almost all interest in Halo entirely since 343i took over and took a massive dump on the series with 4 and all the fucktarded revisions to the lore that came with it. It's sad considering Halo was easily one of my favourite gaming properties out there.

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
omega 616 said:
Now, I'm not up to date with the plot of Halo but didn't master chief kind of go deadsies in one the halo games? Helmet left in a desert or something?
No, you're thinking of the protagonist from Halo: Reach who did indeed die at the end of the game. The Chief on the other hand, was believed to be dead after the events of Halo 3, but was instead just in suspended animation while drifting through space in the wreck of a starship. He was awoken by Cortana at the start of Halo 4

OT: Huge fan of the Halo series since the early days, but at this stage I'm more or less just in it for the storyline. Like, the gameplay is fun and all, but I doubt I'm going to buy an Xbox One just for Halo 5. I'll probably just end up watching a playthrough on Youtube or something, while possibly waiting for the Xbone to come down in price and have a better games library in a few years time.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
No surprise here, it's usually about a two year gap between Halo games. I'm always up for more Halo, and I really liked Halo 4. The only problem is Halo's new step-dad the Xbox One, I still haven't learned to love him yet. :/

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Get Ready for Halo 5: the IOS game!

Includes:
3rd person top down action!
5 whole levels!
Fully animated sprite characters and weapons!
Voices from 3 unique actors!
Bonus Microtransaction Arbiter character!

Available at all games retailers and the Eighth circle of Hell.

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
Considering 4 has actually become my favorite entry in the series, to no one's greater surprise then myself, I can't wait to see what 343 has planned for the future. I wouldn't necessarily say I'm going to run out and buy a One the moment 5 gets released, but when I do inevitably get one somewhere down the line whatever Halo's have been released by then will almost assuredly be the first things I get for it.

Flippincrazy

Jul 4, 2010
Personally, I found wading through Halo 4's story and multiplayer to be a largely masochistic exercise - driven only be a feeling of obligation to a franchise that I loved and a vague hope that it'd get better (which to my mind it never did). Most of my interest in the new title has been killed.

Still, I'll look out for upcoming previews. I'm just not entirely sure that 343 will change the Halo formula back to its roots or not - popular response to Halo 4 being surprisingly 'love it or hate it' in nature - it's hard to predict which side 343 will listen to.

However, I know that a lot of people will be excited by this news, so good news for some!

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
1. 343i is still the dev team for Halo.
2. It is going to be a rushed title with 343i as the dev team for Halo.

Yeah, no thanks. 343 wrecked the only solid thing going for Halo (multiplayer gameplay) with 4, and I have no faith in them not to release an ultra-buggy, super rushed product.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Originally I thought 343i actually made a pretty decent start on the franchise with Halo 4.

But after some time away and an attempted second playthrough I'm not of that opinion any more. I enjoyed the increased focus on the Chief and Cortana's relationship and the idea of Cortana reaching the rampancy stage was at least respectful to the canon. But the other characters were just bland cardboard cut outs with no real motives for their actions. Captain Del Rio, what was his problem?

I didn't like the fact that the Covenant were there; it undid all the good that the Chief and the Arbiter achieved in Halo 3. I didn't like the new aesthetic for the Covenant. I didn't like the Promethians as enemies, I thought they were boring to fight and had little variation. I most certainly didn't like the new sound effect for the Warthog, completely ruined that vehicle for me. The soundtrack was actually quite good, not as good as Marty O'Donnell's music, but decent enough. Although the game did a poor job of presenting the music as it was often drowned out by the sound effects and overall noise which was a shame. I bought the OST CD to better enjoy it away from the game.

So yeah, at this point I'm saying that the Halo franchise ended at Reach. And a fitting end that was, bravo Bungie.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
You know Halo 4 made it reeeally easy for me to leave this series and the Xbone in the dust.

I am one of those, apparently rare crazies who primarily played Halo for the story and holy hot damn was the one in Halo 4 ever pants on the head retarded. It was, and I hate to sound overly dramatic, but heart breaking watching it unfold and then when that, let?s call it the revelations scene came along I just completely checked out and mindlessly completed the game and haven't touched it since.

Not only was the story bad though but my god! I consider this game being to Halo what Man of Steel was for Superman. It felt completely joyless and far too broody. It felt like it was shaped and molded by countless focus testes. Which would explain the washed out aesthetics, bland environments and enemy design, holy crap what did they do to the alien designs. And don?t even get me started on the bland that soundtrack that lacked any identity whatsoever.

Something tells me things are only going to get worse with 5. As far as I?m concerned, Halo ended at 3 and John is still drifting out in space.

One more thing, it sure does seem like they are rushing this puppy out the door though doesn't it? I guess Microsoft is just eager to get that heavy hitter system seller out there.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Oh dear, a new Halo game.

All Halo 4 did was convince me to sell my 360.

Spartan Ops was potentially fantastic but under developed (and now seemingly abandoned), whilst the Starfox style ship run on the last level was much the same, the rest of it was junk. Boring homogenous enemies (the Forerunner made me miss the Flood), boring multiplayer that dropped the old Quake style set maps for CoD equipment and streaks, terrible maps and endless rounds of Exile/Ragnarok.

Even the visual design was dull as rust, the opening level was great, then the beginning of number two in the wreckage of the downed ships, then the rest of the game is generic oh look at these random vertical structures in the sky box aren't they epic, bit of a shame after ODST's ruined city and Reach's Shipyards, wind farms and giant anti air batteries.

It's a shame, I loved ODST and Reach and I still play Halo PC occasionally, but if 4 marked the series 'direction' then it's a series that's done with.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Holy crap, it's like Halo 4 murdered all you guys' families or something. You know what, I liked it. Well, parts of it to be fair. They did definitely mess up on some things. But take it from me. I've been watching 343 for a while now. I've been reading every interview and I've looked at Halo 4. I've thought it all out. The conclusion? I REALLY don't think they're going to mess this one up. At least not nearly as bad as the fourth one.

So, people. Before you all condemn Halo 5, I suggest that you wait and see. You may be... very surprised. If anything, please read this all the way. [http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headlines/post/2013/01/09/The-Halo-Bulletin-1913.aspx]

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
Arnoxthe1 said:
Holy crap, it's like Halo 4 murdered all you guys' families or something.
Don't worry, snide cynicism is just the default response to any good news on this website.

OT: I'm looking forward to this. I enjoyed playing Halo 4 and with the games I have on the Xbone, I can say the improvements that come with the hardware are going to impress me.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Klagermeister said:
Don't worry, snide cynicism is just the default response to any good news on this website.

OT: I'm looking forward to this. I enjoyed playing Halo 4 and with the games I have on the Xbone, I can say the improvements that come with the hardware are going to impress me.
*brofist*

There has been a discussion on the Waypoint forums as to whether Halo 5 should be kicked back to 2015 instead. On one side of the issue, 343 has amassed a staggering employee count of 250+, and they're also swearing up and down that Halo 4 taught them an insane amount of stuff. On the other, past Halo games have always been given at least 3 years for development. Personally, I don't know. I have absolutely no information on the next game and neither does anyone else ATM so we can't make any accurate judgements. In the end, we just have to trust 343. And if they say that they don't need 3 years, well... They know better than we do.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Well hopefully its better then 4 and they fix the multiplayer better instead of 'hey look, we're cod now yaaay'.

The story of 4 fucked with canon alot though with the prometheans and humans though at least they attempted to flesh out master chief and cortana. Not particularly well but I wasn't expecting anything at all in that department.

Jaximus Decimus

Sep 10, 2013
I really liked Halo 4.

Halo 1 was, and maybe still is, my favorite game of all time. For me, Halo 2 was a soul sucking disappointment and with each Bungie iteration the series became worse and worse, culminating in the depressing wreck that was Reach. I had no hope for Halo 4. I wanted to hate it, yet I couldn't. In my opinion 343i breathed new life into a dying series with Halo 4.

I'm excited for Halo 5. As excited as I get for games nowadays, anyway.