Ford Uses Oculus Rift Virtual Reality to Build Cars

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Ford Uses Oculus Rift Virtual Reality to Build Cars

Virtual reality technologies have uses well beyond racing games.

The Oculus Rift virtual reality goggles have got people excited about what it will do for videogames, bringing forth what feels like full immersion into a different world. The virtual reality technology also has many uses in our own world, including car manufacturing. Ford is working with Oculus VR to more efficiently create car prototypes and evaluate cars in a virtual setting.

Ford isn't the first to use the Oculus Rift outside of gaming; NASA uses Oculus Rift and an upgraded Kinect sensor from the Xbox One [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130938-NASA-To-Use-Xbox-Ones-Kinect-and-Oculus-Rift-To-Control-Robots] to remotely manipulate robotic arms.

Ford has been using similar rigs before by digitally developing cars through computer-aided design, but using Oculus Rift in collaboration with motion-capture technology from Vicon has greatly reduced the cost of the setup.

"The idea here is that auto designers can use this type of system to really look at the design of their vehicle in detail, whether its color, material or finish," Vicon product manager Warren Lester said. "How does it look inside and outside, as well as in different environments and lights?"

Lester estimates the cost of one setup, including a four-camera rig using Vicon and Oculus Rift technology costs around $30,000 - a tiny fraction of which comes from Oculus VR. An Oculus Rift developer kit costs only $300.

"Ford can have a group of designers in Detroit reviewing a model while talking to designers in Cologne and Australia, all immersed in the same world at the same time," Lester said.

One day we could see Oculus VR technology being widely adopted in medical fields and the military for varied uses. Until then, game developers are hard at work creating immersive games while NASA plays with robots and Ford tests out cars.

Source: FastCo [http://www.fastcompany.com/3024328/innovation-agents/ford-taps-oculus-rift-for-future-automobile-designs]

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
The gamers expecting this to be just some niche gaming peripheral will have no idea what hit them.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Entitled said:
The gamers expecting this to be just some niche gaming peripheral will have no idea what hit them.
What you mean we'll all be using this for just about everything in the span of 5 years?.

I'd still see it as niche for the time being, not until everyone and I mean everyone is using that piece of tech would it be mainstream.

Just in case, I'm talking:

Hospitals
Military
Aviators
Navy
Airforce
Retail outlets
Food services
Sports
etc, the list would cover everything we do anyway.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Shadow-Phoenix said:
...not until everyone and I mean everyone is using that piece of tech would it be mainstream.
By that definition, I don't think anything is "mainstream" except food, water, air, and sleep.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Pyrian said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
...not until everyone and I mean everyone is using that piece of tech would it be mainstream.
By that definition, I don't think anything is "mainstream" except food, water, air, and sleep.
I hear water's too mainstream these days anyway, food is the way to go.

By the definition of the article and Entitled, the tech has gone full on mainstream and now we're all suddenly going to use it, rather than seeing it still as a niche product.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Shadow-Phoenix said:
By the definition of the article and Entitled, the tech has gone full on mainstream and now we're all suddenly going to use it, rather than seeing it still as a niche product.
Y'know... The article's right here. We can read it. We can contrast what it says with what you claim it says.
roseofbattle said:
One day we could see Oculus VR technology being widely adopted in medical fields and the military for varied uses. Until then, game developers are hard at work creating immersive games while NASA plays with robots and Ford tests out cars.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Pyrian said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Y'know... The article's right here. We can read it. We can contrast what it says with what you claim it says.
roseofbattle said:
Yes and as we know this it will "eventually" happen, but right now it's not so it's still niche.