Coinye West Creators Get Cease-And-Desist From Rapper

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Coinye West Creators Get Cease-And-Desist From Rapper

There have been some changes in Coinye's image.

So what's in a name, asks the creators of cryptocurrency Coinye West [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130992-Bitcoin-Rival-Coinye-West-To-Launch-This-Month]; that which we call a Bitcoin by any other name would trade as sweet. Um, no, reply rapper Kanye West's lawyers, as they file a cease-and-desist. "We are in the process of preserving and protecting Mr. West's valuable publicity and trademark rights from willful and brazen infringements," say the lawyers, and so there have been some changes over at Coinye West.

For starters, it's not Coinye West any more, just Coinye. The coin's image has also been changed, though the reference is still clear. But one thing the coin's creators haven't done is give in to the coinyeco [http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/20140107-WSJ-coinye.pdf].

"Now [West] wants to crush us and/or take our idea," say Coinye's creators, "and we've decided to stand up to the system and fight for the people."

Presumably that should be read as 'fight for the people's right to mine a currency of dubious worth,' since the Coinye has no real value, and perhaps never will. Especially if West pursues legal action against anyone who ever uses it, as his lawyers warn he intends to do.

Not that this is likely to stop some from jumping on the Coinye bandwagon, which will open for business today at 7 PST.

Source: Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/01/kanye-wests-lawyer-orders-coinye-to-cease-and-desist-just-before-launch/]

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I read "We are in the process of preserving and protecting Mr. West's valuable image..." but what I interpreted it as was "Only Mr. West is allowed to ruin what little amount of public image he has left."
I mean I am glad this excuse that would boost Kanye West's ego didn't catch on, because the las thing we need is Kayne's ego getting any larger. Oh well, we could always put forward the Moonwalker Bitcoin. :p

option1soul

Nov 17, 2013
...isn't parody under copy write protection? I'm no expert but unless it's directly saying something (which could be constituted as libel) I'm pretty sure they could do what they wanted..?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
option1soul said:
...isn't parody under copy write protection? I'm no expert but unless it's directly saying something (which could be constituted as libel) I'm pretty sure they could do what they wanted..?
Normally yes, parody is covered under the Fair Use Act of 1976. However I have to side with the copyright laws on this one, and as I type that a bit of myself died inside. Mainly I have to side with them because this is not only a parody, but a parody that could become a legal currency that could be accepted as legal tender by a lot.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Wow "We are in the process of preserving and protecting Mr. West's valuable publicity and trademark rights from willful and brazen infringements," *spits food*

"Now [West] wants to crush us and/or take our idea," say Coinye's creators, "and we've decided to stand up to the system and fight for the people." *spits more food*

Really? are these guys competeing for the 'who sounds like the biggest douche' awards?

Costia

Jul 3, 2011
Maybe it is similar to the "Scrolls" incident with bethesda. Maybe they have to protect the trademark not because they are opposed to the coin idea but because if they let it slide this time other people in the future will be able to use the trademarks without permission.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I mean... could no one see this coming? I have to be honest, I saw that article about the Coinye West digital currency and saw the image and thought that Kanye's ego is so huge, this could easily be him. I know it's not, but my first go to was still, "Kanye West is making a digital currency?"

If that is the auto response from a lot of people, then I would have to say it at least violates the Trade Mark that is Kanye West and his financial empire.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
These guys are just being assholes really. Anyone else we call it cyber bullying, but kanye is different?

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
So wait... they changed the image to him as a fish?
I... that's the best response ever. Make it look less like him but at the same time take the piss.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
option1soul said:
While parody is protected this is not a parody, its somebody taking Kanye Wests name and image so they can use his popularity to market their own product.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
option1soul said:
If this was copyright, then you'd have a point. Infringement of the right of publicity, however, is a tort claim, not a copyright claim, and any substantive non-news use of a person's image is generally considered a violation of that.
Neronium said:
I read "We are in the process of preserving and protecting Mr. West's valuable image..." but what I interpreted it as was "Only Mr. West is allowed to ruin what little amount of public image he has left."
That actually is pretty much the basis of the tort: to avoid association with unauthorized use of their image.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Are they really surprised at this cease and desist?
I'm actually (for the first time in the history of his existence) on the side of Kanye with this one. The entire gimmick of the coin is based on Kanye West. It's a gimmick and they are desperately fighting to keep their gimmick because without it they are nothing.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I'm suprised he didn't sue South Park for that recent episode. Or the earlier one. I mean both of them are attention whores and lawsuits from celebrities bring attention. Instead he's going after a guy who made a digital coin.